Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 12:15 AM

7 posts, read 10,807 times

Advertisements

There's an existing community in the Cascade/Fairburn Mays area that I'm strongly considering purchasing a 3 story 3/4bdrm 3.5bath in. However, I am torn. I'm a single black woman who will be living alone and while this will not be my first time living in the hood as I did attend school in the AUC and I am licensed to carry... owning, I can't just up and break a lease if I don't like it.

I'm thinking beyond just how things are now, I'm thinking long term. I am only 24 y/o and plan to live in the townhome for 3-5 years then I plan on renting it out for residual income. I think the closeness to the airport, college and universities, and downtown overall makes for a good investment when it comes to renting, whether that be to nurses, flight attendants, students etc. Plus I want to invest in a black community instead of taking my money elsewhere to invest in someone else's community.

I'm from Oakland, Ca and many people have told me cascade area is "old money", so can someone tell me of any developments they have planned for this area. I know there's a "project housing" right around the corner I believe is called the providence of cascade that needs to be demolished( please don't judge me) but I've drove through there several times to get an idea of the area and it's just time for it to be gone. I feel like the area has so much potential being near a kroger, walmart, publix, and starbuck, but when you make that right on fair burn its just sadness.

Please help me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 10:12 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,521,236 times
I can't speak to crime in the area but have been in the Publix and the Home Depot several times. They seem very nice to me.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:25 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,337,548 times
Cascade Heights southward down Casade to and past 285 has one of the lowest crime rates in the city, really lower than many of the swanky eastside neighborhoods.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:08 PM

30 posts, read 53,881 times
If you like it, I'd say buy it, especially if you plan to stay awhile. I bought my first home in the "hood" in Atlanta many years ago. At that point, the projects were still open a couple of miles away. I stayed in the home for years before renting it out. The neighborhood has developed greatly since I bought it. If the neighborhood has potential and you can wait it out, do it. I still own that home - I now rent it out.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:02 AM

1,005 posts, read 719,079 times
I recommend attending an NPU-I meeting and the NPU-T meeting. The first will tell you about businesses they're trying to support. I think Cascade's getting a new black-owned coffee shop for example, but NPU-I's info is best accessible in person than on their FB group. Being a homeowner in the area might definitely give you some leverage to achieve those social changes you desire.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:46 PM

7 posts, read 10,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
I recommend attending an NPU-I meeting and the NPU-T meeting. The first will tell you about businesses they're trying to support. I think Cascade's getting a new black-owned coffee shop for example, but NPU-I's info is best accessible in person than on their FB group. Being a homeowner in the area might definitely give you some leverage to achieve those social changes you desire.
Thank you! I definitely want to get involved in the community, so this information was very helpful.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:23 PM

893 posts, read 1,318,209 times
if the house is outside 285 on cascade road buy it! i love that area. especially around the risky lake are of cascade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: