Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 10:05 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times

Advertisements

Man this is crazy I wasn't aware Atlanta had this level of abandonment. It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as Detroit, St.Louis or Baltimore. But still crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3OxfzStWBk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 11:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Atlanta IMO has a lot of similarities with Chicago....one half of the city is booming with new developments, businesses, and jobs. The other half is stagnant. The difference is somehow Atlanta grows...Chicago doesn't.

But at least Atlanta is attempting to give something to the hoods of the west and south. The westside beltline trail is something I don't think Chicago(or Detroit, St Louis or other dangerous Midwestern city) would ever do until gentrification was already in full swing. Chicago has something similar to the beltline, but of course, it's only in the gentrified part of the city.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:43 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Man this is crazy I wasn't aware Atlanta had this level of abandonment. It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as Detroit, St.Louis or Baltimore. But still crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3OxfzStWBk

London and Paris and Berlin have hoods too.....

Old 04-28-2019, 06:58 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
As a native Detroiter, Bankhead is the only area in Atlanta that comes closest to Detroit's desolation (and it's still not even close).

Old 04-28-2019, 07:36 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta IMO has a lot of similarities with Chicago....one half of the city is booming with new developments, businesses, and jobs. The other half is stagnant. The difference is somehow Atlanta grows...Chicago doesn't.

But at least Atlanta is attempting to give something to the hoods of the west and south. The westside beltline trail is something I don't think Chicago(or Detroit, St Louis or other dangerous Midwestern city) would ever do until gentrification was already in full swing. Chicago has something similar to the beltline, but of course, it's only in the gentrified part of the city.
Although I find the bolded to be a gross exaggeration, I agree with your defense of the Beltline and development efforts to the south and west.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:39 AM

492 posts, read 535,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
As a native Detroiter, Bankhead is the only area in Atlanta that comes closest to Detroit's desolation (and it's still not even close).
+1 Sure the areas in the video look bad but you have to visit some of the areas in Detroit and Chicago to realize how bad they are..

Old 04-28-2019, 01:25 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
This level of neglect and abandonment is extremely concentrated to the area just west of downtown, mostly surrounded by Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy, Northside Drive (mostly James P Brawley), Westview, and West lake.

I went through the video and highlighted the streets on a map... There was only about a minute and a half of the video I couldn't figure out.

Yes...it's bad over there. It's the last remaining area in town of truly poor people with no money to fix their neighborhood up. And much of the area is owned by disinterested investors and speculators just waiting for that area to become the next big thing so they can sell these run down properties they bought for mere thousands, to sell for a hundred thousand.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:19 AM

834 posts, read 1,016,815 times
The crazy thing is the worse parts of Atlanta weren't that bad before the nineties. ATL got everyone who couldn't afford to stay in NYC and NJ and MI and then anyone who made below median income got pushed in to concentrated areas..

Old 04-29-2019, 03:45 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
worst looking yes, most dangerous not really anymore. i mean it's still the bluff and vine city but it's not what it was 10 years ago, and 10 years ago it was hardly what it was in the 90s according to oldschoolchevy, who grew up around there and might see this thread and have some more firsthand input.

westside village is not that bad. i don't know why they filmed that as an example of being run down.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:00 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
I appreciated watching the video, because I'll otherwise never drive through those areas myself

I guess to me that didnt look discernibly different from the hoods I've seen in any large metro looked the same as North Minneapolis, Southside of Chicago, or parts of KCMO I've been through?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta