Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 03:49 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,368,052 times

Advertisements

About 4% of metro Atlanta’s workforce has a temporary job through a staffing agency. That’s twice the national average. Fulton and Cobb rank in the top 10 among U.S. counties, according to government data crunched by Emsi, a labor market analytics firm.

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/business/employm...9RET50bumeUMK/

SOURCE: AJC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 05:14 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,644,670 times
The logistics industry is notorious for using a large temp labor force, since the work is low skilled. Given Atlanta is a logistics hub, that's not surprising.

Last edited by citidata18; 05-04-2019 at 05:32 AM..

Old 05-04-2019, 07:21 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,341,980 times
I will probably try to seek employment with one. Called to ask which company was providing the work/hours and saw that it was confidential. The pay wasn't bad and so I wonder which company and if they are saving them money mostly by eliminating benefits they pay their employees.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:59 AM

5,618 posts, read 5,899,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
if they are saving them money mostly by eliminating benefits they pay their employees.
Probably. I know my dad was worried about that for quite some time at his job. Even as an engineer. He probably could have even kept his "job" but he would have become an outside contractor. Fortunately that never happened. He would have lost all of his benefits (which at his company are great).

Old 05-04-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I will probably try to seek employment with one. Called to ask which company was providing the work/hours and saw that it was confidential. The pay wasn't bad and so I wonder which company and if they are saving them money mostly by eliminating benefits they pay their employees.
It's not just the elimination of benefits.

The real cost savings is from not having to pay UI benefits, a severance package and having a flexible work force that you can get rid of with just a simple phone call.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:50 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,998,458 times
It used to be a foot in the door, where if companies liked temps, they hired them full-time away from the temp agency. Is that still the case?

It used to be only really low-skilled jobs were temps. Nowadays, it seems more and more companies are using it as a way to get more highly skilled help.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It used to be a foot in the door, where if companies liked temps, they hired them full-time away from the temp agency. Is that still the case?

It used to be only really low-skilled jobs were temps. Nowadays, it seems more and more companies are using it as a way to get more highly skilled help.
It still happens, but not as much.

What you described has become the new normal post-recession.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,502,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
About 4% of metro Atlanta’s workforce has a temporary job through a staffing agency. That’s twice the national average. Fulton and Cobb rank in the top 10 among U.S. counties, according to government data crunched by Emsi, a labor market analytics firm.

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/business/employm...9RET50bumeUMK/

SOURCE: AJC
This isn’t surprising to me. I thought that temp agencies were a popular Southern trend. Kind of like unions up North. Since folks in GA can get fired for pretty much anything sometimes it’s cheaper and better to never fully hire them to begin with.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:51 AM

16,648 posts, read 29,370,081 times
Atlanta does seem like “Temp City” at times.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:03 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,341,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
This isn’t surprising to me. I thought that temp agencies were a popular Southern trend. Kind of like unions up North. Since folks in GA can get fired for pretty much anything sometimes it’s cheaper and better to never fully hire them to begin with.

I was going to reply to all these posts later but this one made me laugh. Haha it's funny and disturbing at the same time. I honestly thought what was happening in Atlanta mirrored what was going all over the country, but the article said that Atlanta has double the average. I would like to see the percentages for other major cities in the South to see how unique to Atlanta this is. Is the much higher percentage regional or is Atlanta just special?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: