Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 09:21 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This has been the case for maybe 10 or 20 years now. Atlanta has always been a mostly Black and White City. Immigrants usually move to the suburbs because they're cheaper and offer more room for their families than the city...it's not like NYC where they usually move to the city itself.

I agree.

I'm perpetually confused from various comments I hear.

Atlanta City's outlying residential areas are not that dense and that pushed out most immigrants into the suburbs from limited housing options/price points a long time ago.

Gwinnett, in particular, has been the multicultural magnet for a very long time. I remember when I was in grade school the area was still 70% majority white, but I noticed 2 things over the years. We also had Asians, Hispanics, and a small margin of blacks ever since I can remember and moving in greater numbers. Most of the white students weren't cohesive either. They were from everywhere else. My classmates were frequently from Florida, Arizona, Connecticut, New Jersey, New Jersy... New Jersey, and Ohio than they were from Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 12:14 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogHawk View Post
It appears that the final votes from Gwinnett have pushed Biden’s lead out of Trump’s reach. Blue wave swept over all of Gwinnett.
Blue wave hits Gwinnett as Democrats dominate local races (Gwinnett Daily Post)

Quote:
The local [Democratic] party, which had invested financially in efforts to drive voter turnout for the election, dominated local races on Tuesday, winning nearly every seat they competed for. There will now be only two Republicans left in local seats in the county...

... Democrats gained considerable power in the county on Tuesday, building off of successes from the 2018 elections and flipping control of the county commission and [school board], as well as the sheriff’s, district attorney’s, tax commissioner’s offices. And, most notably, it appears to have flipped the 7th Congressional District seat.

Old 11-08-2020, 01:20 PM

712 posts, read 701,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Political representation lags demographic change by a decade or slightly longer. Non-Hispanic whites ceased being a majority in Gwinnett in the late 2000s. There are a couple of political scientists who predicted in 2013 that 2020 would be the year Gwinnett flipped to a solidly blue county and that the change in vote share would have the potential to produce a win for a Democratic presidential candidate in Georgia. The outcome in Gwinnett was truly predictable.

Old 11-08-2020, 02:44 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
What surprised me was Nancy Jester losing as county commissioner in North Dekalb. And it wasn't close. So Dunwoody has significantly changed politically. Dekalb is officially a one party county.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:57 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Default Gwinnett DA Danny Porter says he does not see election loss as judgement on his job performance

The longest serving district attorney in Gwinnett County history, and possibly in Georgia history, will leave office at the end of this year.

But outgoing Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter does not see his re-election loss earlier this month as a condemnation of the job he did as the county’s prosecutor. He sees his re-election loss as being just the latest sign of Gwinnett’s changing politics, he said.

Quote:
“I don’t see it as a statement on the job that I have done as district attorney,” Porter said. “I think my record and my accomplishments stand up on their own.”

Under Porter’s watch, the Gwinnett County District Attorney’s Office has put a heavy emphasis on victim’s rights and, in the last decade, has gradually built up a special victim’s unit within his office over the course of multiple county budgets.

He has also hosted a candlelight vigil at Christmastime to honor the deceased victims of crime in Gwinnett — although this year’s vigil will likely be done virtually because of COVID-19.
Porter, who has been Gwinnett’s district attorney for 28 years, was defeated by his Democratic Party opponent, Patsy Austin-Gatson, in a November 3rd general election that swept Democrats into many offices and positions of power across metro Atlanta’s suburbs (including historically GOP-dominated metro Atlanta suburban counties like Gwinnett, Cobb, Douglas and Henry) that have been held by Republicans for more than 3 decades.

Porter’s historic 7-term run as Gwinnett D.A. expires at the end of December.

Gwinnett DA Danny Porter says he doesn't see election loss as judgement on his job performance (Gwinnett Daily Post)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta