Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:49 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The west side has already hit the $500s, a million won't be far behind.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/neighborhood/26/west-end
Still plenty of homes well below that price point.
A million is a long ways off. Reminds me of someone saying the sun will burn out. Technically Someday they will be right, but it will be a long time before that happens. Sensationalize much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Still plenty of homes well below that price point.
A million is a long ways off. Reminds me of someone saying the sun will burn out. Technically Someday they will be right, but it will be a long time before that happens. Sensationalize much?
I'd consider half a million pretty tall cotton.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I'd consider half a million pretty tall cotton.
For some it is, but it still isn’t the million dollar mark you keep suggesting it is if you think half a million is tall cotton, then to get to a million is tall Cotton and a ways away.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:05 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
For some it is, but it still isn’t the million dollar mark you keep suggesting it is if you think half a million is tall cotton, then to get to a million is tall Cotton and a ways away.
Coming from someone who relocated from San Francisco

On a serious note most in metro Atlanta cannot fathom spending $500k on a place to live, it isnt just some. The salaries for most people in the metro are well below what you came from in San Fran. While Atlanta definitely has much more affordable places to live, people hit their income caps much sooner than you do in the Pacific aswell, in that aspect it's fairly relative unless you have a very high paying job...and while jobs paying $200 - $300k a year are fairly common in San Fran, not so easy to obtain that in the metro unless you're self employed with a strong business.

For you specifically, you are an investor therefore most of Atlanta is pretty much a bargain for you.

However Atlanta wont be reaching 1$ million anytime soon, and even if it did, it would never be able to sustain it for the majorities.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

On a serious note most in metro Atlanta cannot fathom spending $500k on a place to live, it isnt just some. The salaries for most people in the metro are well below what you came from in San Fran. While Atlanta definitely has much more affordable places to live, people hit their income caps much sooner than you do in the Pacific aswell, in that aspect it's fairly relative unless you have a very high paying job...and while jobs paying $200 - $300k a year are fairly common in San Fran, not so easy to obtain that in the metro unless you're self employed with a strong business.

For you specifically, you are an investor therefore most of Atlanta is pretty much a bargain for you.

However Atlanta wont be reaching 1$ million anytime soon, and even if it did, it would never be able to sustain it for the majorities.
Lol. So true as far as being from San Francisco.
I don’t agree with arjay about the million dollar mark for exactly the reasons you wrote. The economics don’t favor the million dollar mark for a long time.
you can get a nice home in the 300k range here. That is completely non existent in the Bay Area. I’m in the Bay Area now as I type. It’s nice, but I’ll stick with Georgia.

Last edited by aslowdodge; 06-05-2019 at 02:22 PM..

Old 06-05-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Lol. So true as far as being from San Francisco.
I don’t agree with arjay about the million dollar mark for exactly the reasons you wrote. The economics don’t favor the million dollar mark for a long time.
you can get a nice home in the 300k range here. That is completely non existent in the Bay Area. I’m in the bAy are now as I type. It’s nice, but I’ll stick with Georgia.
Yeah I get what you mean. The prices in San Fran and its suburbs are the most expensive in this nation and I believe within the top ten most expensive places to live in the world. Averaging around 900k - $1 Mil for a house you can get for between $280 - $320k in Atlanta. I loved San Fran and it I could afford it I wouldn't think twice about moving there but there's also CalTax and CalPolitics so as beautiful as that place is, its literally 1%'er city, and unfortunately Seattle is quickly catching up as well.

It's kind of on my todo's to attempt it if I ever leave Austin, not sure if i am going to go that far or if I'm just going to get a house and call it a day and maybe just get a timeshare in SanFran.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:02 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:

I thought we were talking about within the city of Atlanta proper.

The first photo shows houses under $500K.

If you go up to $500K to $1 million, you have a few more options, but not a lot.

Especially considering that a passel of people are moving into the city every day and scrapping over these few crumbs.

Houses under $500K

Houses $500K and up

Last edited by arjay57; 06-05-2019 at 03:11 PM..

Old 06-05-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I thought we were talking about within the city of Atlanta proper.

The first photo shows houses under $500K.

If you go up to $500K to $1 million, you have a few more options, but not a lot.

Especially considering that a passel of people are moving into the city every day and scrapping over these few crumbs.

Houses under $500K

Houses $500K and up
look up homes on realtor.com and search for homes and condos in Atlanta under $300K, well under your million or even half million you say.
3,318 listings.
No price constraint, 8,179 listings
Again you exagerate by using a term like a few crumbs.
You need to research a bit better before making statements.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:40 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Yeah I get what you mean. The prices in San Fran and its suburbs are the most expensive in this nation and I believe within the top ten most expensive places to live in the world. Averaging around 900k - $1 Mil for a house you can get for between $280 - $320k in Atlanta. I loved San Fran and it I could afford it I wouldn't think twice about moving there but there's also CalTax and CalPolitics so as beautiful as that place is, its literally 1%'er city, and unfortunately Seattle is quickly catching up as well.

It's kind of on my todo's to attempt it if I ever leave Austin, not sure if i am going to go that far or if I'm just going to get a house and call it a day and maybe just get a timeshare in SanFran.
It's been 30 years since the Loma Prieta quake, and it's very much time for one to occur again.

That will send some people packing, it would me and I only experienced two little jolts in LA in the 90s,

But I thought that all of these high-priced homes and high rents for Atlanta ($1,700 studios are the norm for Midtown Atlanta) were going like hotcakes due to Atlanta's relatively high salaries compared to the cost of living.

I.E. so many fortune 500 companies here that large salaries were quite common.

Of course it's not anywhere close to the bay area where support staff in dentist offices and social workers make $80-100K in SF proper.

Atlanta's real estate will go down when the next recession hits and it will stay down for a little while.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
It's been 30 years since the Loma Prieta quake, and it's very much time for one to occur again.

That will send some people packing, it would me and I only experienced two little jolts in LA in the 90s,

But I thought that all of these high-priced homes and high rents for Atlanta ($1,700 studios are the norm for Midtown Atlanta) were going like hotcakes due to Atlanta's relatively high salaries compared to the cost of living.

I.E. so many fortune 500 companies here that large salaries were quite common.

Of course it's not anywhere close to the bay area where support staff in dentist offices and social workers make $80-100K in SF proper.

Atlanta's real estate will go down when the next recession hits and it will stay down for a little while.
Not high compared to the cost of living, high compared to where they are coming from - or lower CoL compared to where they are coming from.

Also the only ones who really make money at Fortune 500 companies are executives, directors, project managers, and CEO's.

$100k a year is not enough to foot a $500k house comfortably. Theres an obscene difference in the mortgage of a $500k house vs a $1,700 studio. Its like 4 times higher after including taxes, interest and HOA's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta