U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 06:59 PM

31,595 posts, read 32,709,078 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess it's to be expected. Although this study was in San Francisco, they say other metros may be experiencing the same problem.

Quote:
Stuck in traffic? You might blame the ride-hailing app on your phone.

Tech companies like Uber and Lyft may be responsible for more than half of the increase in rush-hour congestion in San Francisco’s bustling downtown, according to a study published Wednesday in Science Advances. Other downtown areas across the country may be experiencing the same jump in gridlock, the researchers said, as people turn to their phones to arrange rides rather than walking, taking the bus or staying home.

More...Why is your Uber or Lyft stuck in traffic? Most likely because of Uber and Lyft
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 07:03 PM

10,213 posts, read 13,762,997 times
Why would Uber/Lyft/Taxi's add any more vehicles to traffic than if one drove their own vehicle or waiting for a family/friend pick-up. Unless one lives in an airport terminal, I'm not sure how this adds to traffic (?)

The horrific Atlanta traffic is because they lack sufficient roads to manage rush-hour traffic. The 'newish' express lanes ($4 one-way) bypass a lot of the traffic delays ... at a cost not that much less than hailing an Uber/Lyft.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:04 PM

4,986 posts, read 3,293,124 times
since this is an Atlanta forum....
blame ANYthing for the traffic.
a slight breeze on 285.
never gets better but
could be worse.
just wait.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:05 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,357,483 times
I mean maybe in New York or San Francisco. Or wherever it's people getting a Lyft instead of transit, as in, they would have otherwise taken transit if the ride share was not available. Then, I guess it's not helping traffic.

But at least for me, the alternative would be me driving and parking somewhere, so it's at least reducing the need for parking.

Traffic is not a bad thing, and it's certainly not opposed by urbanists. I think the more we can take more ride shares, the less parking spaces we need in the city, then that makes it more of an ideal environment for density and more transit.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:43 PM

31,595 posts, read 32,709,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I mean maybe in New York or San Francisco. Or wherever it's people getting a Lyft instead of transit, as in, they would have otherwise taken transit if the ride share was not available. Then, I guess it's not helping traffic.

But at least for me, the alternative would be me driving and parking somewhere, so it's at least reducing the need for parking.

Traffic is not a bad thing, and it's certainly not opposed by urbanists. I think the more we can take more ride shares, the less parking spaces we need in the city, then that makes it more of an ideal environment for density and more transit.
I guess they are saying that a lot of folks who take Uber and such would have taken MARTA or just stayed home. That could be true for people who are thinking about going out and drinking.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 PM

2,386 posts, read 2,436,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Why would Uber/Lyft/Taxi's add any more vehicles to traffic than if one drove their own vehicle or waiting for a family/friend pick-up. Unless one lives in an airport terminal, I'm not sure how this adds to traffic (?)

The horrific Atlanta traffic is because they lack sufficient roads to manage rush-hour traffic. The 'newish' express lanes ($4 one-way) bypass a lot of the traffic delays ... at a cost not that much less than hailing an Uber/Lyft.
Well, if you drive somewhere, and then you park—you only contribute to traffic while you are your car driving. If you Uber, your Uber is contributing to traffic even before you even you get in the car—the trip to pick you up adds to traffic, and then the Uber contributes to traffic after they drop you off. And, then you add to that the time that you and the Uber driver try to find each other when communication fails, and then add to that, the traffic caused when the Uber stops traffic to pick you up, and...

Old 05-13-2019, 08:37 PM

5,845 posts, read 5,459,363 times
Anything that takes a person off of transit and puts them into a car is by definition worsening traffic.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:55 PM

550 posts, read 480,887 times
So what this study is describing is induced demand just like when we add more lanes to the highway. The more people perceive the mode of transport to be faster or more convenient, the more people use them and f*ck it all up.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:29 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,802,740 times
Oh well. You can't have it all. I wouldn't benefit from these services but it's apparent that many are. The fact that they could be causing a noticeable increase in traffic shows that there is growing demand. Atlanta's population has grown a lot and the infrastructure just doesn't support it and so what are you doing to do? I wouldn't have hate towards the two if it only has to do with the topic of traffic.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:14 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,763,845 times
This makes sense to me. I can think of business trips wherein one person would rent a van for themselves and their 4 colleagues, and now instead we all just take an uber.

But it was never billed as a traffic saver to me. These services took an otherwise outdated and gritty taxi service (took a long time to hail, many didn't take credit cards, having to tip in the presence of the driver, lack of accountability (couldn't leave a review of your driver)) and made it much better. I has helped to partially solve the last mile problem.

My auto mechanic is 2.5 miles down the road. There have been times where I dropped my car off and took an uber home in the rain while my car was being worked on, I would have never bothered with a Taxi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: