Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 10:58 AM

17 posts, read 14,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post
The cancellation is bizarre all-around.

1: Realistically, if someone wanted to shoot up Music Midtown, they would always be able to regardless of legal technicalities.

2: I'm pro-2A, but is it really not reasonable for events like this to prohibit guns? There is a very obvious difference between a permanent, unenforceable ban on generally having a gun anywhere in public and a ban on having a gun in a specific area during a specific time.

On your second point, this is a culmination of an effort by a group called GA2A that sued the Atlanta Botanical Garden to allow for guns in the park. They lost since ABG is a private entity leasing public land. However, the opinion of Georgia's Supreme Court and recent new gun laws strongly indicate that if someone sued the organizers of a large festival happening on public land trying to forbid guns in the festival, they would win. While GA2A didn't "explicitly" threaten to sue, it's been pretty clear that any attempt to limit guns in major public festivals would lead to a lawsuit.

The legal counsel of Music Midtown probably made the organization well aware of this fact. Coupled with artists requiring the organization to limit guns in the festival due to insurance and security costs, this likely led to the cancelation.

More info here: https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...GUQLEIIORAZDU/

Now, why would someone openly advocate for guns in festivals with tens of thousands of drunk people? Your guess is as good as mine. Some people have a gun idolatry problem it seems. Nevertheless, the decision from Music Midtown is likely economic-driven.

It's just unfortunate since I know several people whose businesses were counting on the festival season to boost profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 11:07 AM

493 posts, read 290,683 times
Quote:
The cancellation is bizarre all-around.

1: Realistically, if someone wanted to shoot up Music Midtown, they would always be able to regardless of legal technicalities.

2: I'm pro-2A, but is it really not reasonable for events like this to prohibit guns? There is a very obvious difference between a permanent, unenforceable ban on generally having a gun anywhere in public and a ban on having a gun in a specific area during a specific time.
I imagine the issue is more about drunk people with guns getting into fights and deciding to pull them out, not a deranged person deciding they want to shoot up the event. Along with insuring an event that allows guns and alcohol & the requests from the performing artists to not allow guns into the event.

I agree with point 2, the gold dome needs to figure this one out. Its a mess & has the potential to bring some even bigger ripple effects if not addressed.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:10 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Quote:
*SNIP*

Because it's not just about the event itself. What about the walk back to your car? Back down the beltline? Back to and on MARTA? A firearm prohibition at the gate for festivalgoers is effectively a denial of 2nd amdnement rights beyond the gates too. I'd love to finally see some legislatures start crafting civil liability laws that basically state "where it can be reasonably inferred that an individual altered their behavior explicitly to participate or enter onto the premises, the responsible parties of such event or property shall be liable for any injury or damage that occurs as a result of such behavior modification." In other words, ride MARTA to the falcons game so you never brought your firearm, and you get robbed on the train ride back? The falcons and nfl are liable. I'd also like to see them craft laws that don't hold places liable for actions of others that couldn't be predicted. In other words, some nut shoots up the local mall and you get hit? Mall isn't responsible for your medical bills.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:15 AM

17 posts, read 14,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Because it's not just about the event itself. What about the walk back to your car? Back down the beltline? Back to and on MARTA? A firearm prohibition at the gate for festivalgoers is effectively a denial of 2nd amdnement rights beyond the gates too. I'd love to finally see some legislatures start crafting civil liability laws that basically state "where it can be reasonably inferred that an individual altered their behavior explicitly to participate or enter onto the premises, the responsible parties of such event or property shall be liable for any injury or damage that occurs as a result of such behavior modification." In other words, ride MARTA to the falcons game so you never brought your firearm, and you get robbed on the train ride back? The falcons and nfl are liable. I'd also like to see them craft laws that don't hold places liable for actions of others that couldn't be predicted. In other words, some nut shoots up the local mall and you get hit? Mall isn't responsible for your medical bills.
As I mentioned in my other post, some people in this state have a gun idolatry problem coupled with some sort of bizarre form of agoraphobia. If you are too afraid to walk the beltline without a gun or to walk from Peidmont Park to your car without a gun, then maybe just don't go to the festival that doesn't allow guns? Note that literally thousands of people do this every day without any issue.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:43 AM

450 posts, read 271,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post

Again, I am as libertarian as they come, but this is just...insane. A temporary ban on guns in the park is not a blanket ban on guns everywhere. For example, you could theoretically have a friend stand outside the park and hold your gun while you're inside for you to pick up once you leave, so you had your full 2A rights all the way to the park and then immediately once you leave.

The right to own weapons is a crucial human right, but I do not understand the hardcore gun activists who take it to this much of an extreme. It's like they think the entire country is an active combat zone at all times, but it's just not that dramatic. There is such a huge leap from 'people need to be able to own firearms' and 'the drunk guy next to you at the Falcons game should be allowed to have a loaded M-16 in his lap', and I don't know how people make it.

Clearly something got screwed up in the legal system here and they need to iron out the wrinkles. But to advocate against something like Music Midtown banning guns is absolutely unhinged.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:20 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
For example, you could theoretically have a friend stand outside the park and hold your gun while you're inside for you to pick up once you leave, so you had your full 2A rights all the way to the park and then immediately once you leave.
Hadn't thought about, but that's actually a great point. If you've had to park some distance away, maybe the friend could cover you while you're heading back to the car.

Of course you'd still be a sitting duck while in the park.

If the police would release the stats on people getting attacked while going to and from these events, it might open more people's eyes to the risk.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:43 PM

702 posts, read 442,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europe2atlanta View Post
On your second point, this is a culmination of an effort by a group called GA2A that sued the Atlanta Botanical Garden to allow for guns in the park. They lost since ABG is a private entity leasing public land. However, the opinion of Georgia's Supreme Court and recent new gun laws strongly indicate that if someone sued the organizers of a large festival happening on public land trying to forbid guns in the festival, they would win. While GA2A didn't "explicitly" threaten to sue, it's been pretty clear that any attempt to limit guns in major public festivals would lead to a lawsuit.

The legal counsel of Music Midtown probably made the organization well aware of this fact. Coupled with artists requiring the organization to limit guns in the festival due to insurance and security costs, this likely led to the cancelation.

More info here: https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...GUQLEIIORAZDU/

Now, why would someone openly advocate for guns in festivals with tens of thousands of drunk people? Your guess is as good as mine. Some people have a gun idolatry problem it seems. Nevertheless, the decision from Music Midtown is likely economic-driven.

It's just unfortunate since I know several people whose businesses were counting on the festival season to boost profits.
Atlanta is becoming less and less attractive, and overpriced super suburban metro area with terrible transportation option and caught in the middle of a battle between the super far left and far right.

Last edited by MichiganderTexan; 08-01-2022 at 02:50 PM..

Old 08-01-2022, 02:20 PM

450 posts, read 271,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Atlanta is becoming less and less attractive, and overpriced super suburban metro area with terrible transportation option and caught in the middle of a battle between the super far left and right.

I do agree with this. It seems like Georgia had the best of both worlds for a while- a red state with economics-focused Republicans who were pragmatic on social issues and Democrats that could be productive (HOPE scholarship, a rapidly-developing urban center, etc) without going too far left or over-the-top on fringey issues. The state's politics are definitely a mess right now, way too much of a Bible-thumping religious right vs. wackjob leftists thing going on.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:22 PM

271 posts, read 301,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Atlanta is becoming less and less attractive, and overpriced super suburban metro area with terrible transportation option and caught in the middle of a battle between the super far left and right.

I kind of feel like every other fast growing sun belt city could qualify for the statement. Dallas, Phoenix, etc.

Such a shame that this event is being canceled. I’m not against guns per say, but I agree that our gun laws need reform. Just like many who have commented, I really don’t understand the people who feel entitled to carry their guns everyone (including a park) just in case a nightmarish self defense situation presents itself.

Some laws don’t make sense. I hope change is coming.

Old 08-01-2022, 05:27 PM

15 posts, read 7,664 times
This is a massive L for the city. Isn't Music Midtown like the biggest festival in Atlanta. First MLB All Star game now this. And I'm sure this is gonna effect other events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta