Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 01:19 PM

675 posts, read 424,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Georgia is consistently ranked as one of the best states for roads. It’s lack of leadership that failed Michigan. Georgia has been a hot spot for decades and will continue to be so. Our leadership is some of the best in the country and it shows by our growth across many sectors. Go back to depressing Michigan, you are better suited there. Want to see third world, spend a day in Detroit.
I'm not talking about the quality of the roads I'm talking about the infrastructure of metro Atlanta which is **** poor and inadequate compared to other large cities.. I moved here from Texas and Alabama actually I can live wherever I want, but you're more than welcome to go back to or stay in Columbus where you really belong. I'm not and can't compare Georgia with Michigan you're the one who brought up that silly comparison. Michigan is a shell of what it used to be due to the decline of the auto industry as almost every industrial metro area suffered the same fate. Michigan in its hey day was a far better state than Georgia with much better planning and amenities but when you rely on one industry that has 90% of its jobs cut over a few decades that's what happens that was their real fault their inability to adjust to the changing market. People mainly move to Georgia primarily because it's cheaper which is no longer true in a lot of places and because of its cultural significance as a black mecca. Businesses have incentives to move here for similar reasons. North Carolina and Texas are wiping the floor with Georgia right now and they both have better planning and infrastructure. For all its troubles, Detroit still has a more vibrant downtown area than Atlanta right now. I never said a declined city is a nice place to live though you're probably completely misjudging it and have little understand of the actual reasons why it declined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 01:22 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,577,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
I'm not talking about the quality of the roads I'm talking about the infrastructure of metro Atlanta which is **** poor and inadequate compared to other large cities.. I moved here from Texas and Alabama actually I can live wherever I want, but you're more than welcome to go back to or stay in Columbus where you really belong. I'm not and can't compare Georgia with Michigan you're the one who brought up that silly comparison. Michigan is a shell of what it used to be due to the decline of the auto industry as almost every industrial metro area suffered the same fate. Michigan in its hey day was a far better state than Georgia with much better planning and amenities but when you rely on one industry that has 90% of its jobs cut over a few decades that's what happens that was their real fault their inability to adjust to the changing market. People mainly move to Georgia primarily because it's cheaper which is no longer true in a lot of places and because of its cultural significance as a black mecca. Businesses have incentives to move here for similar reasons. North Carolina and Texas are wiping the floor with Georgia right now and they both have better planning and infrastructure. For all its troubles, Detroit still has a more vibrant downtown area than Atlanta right now. I never said a declined city is a nice place to live though you're probably completely misjudging it and have little understand of the actual reasons why it declined.
No state is wiping the floor against Georgia. This state has landed tons of amazing economic development projects and will continue to do so. Your obsession with Georgia is strange.

Old 08-03-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
No state is wiping the floor against Georgia. This state has landed tons of amazing economic development projects and will continue to do so. Your obsession with Georgia is strange.
I don't have an obsession with Georgia.. I just stated that its inept at infrastructure and planning and has a bunch of right wing crazies in political leadership that passes laws that are detrimental to the progress of the state. Georgia is doing fine in landing good economic developments but North Carolina and Texas are landing far more and better projects, that can't be denied.

Old 08-03-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I don't have an obsession with Georgia.. I just stated that its inept at infrastructure and planning and has a bunch of right wing crazies in political leadership that passes laws that are detrimental to the progress of the state. Georgia is doing fine in landing good economic developments but North Carolina and Texas are landing far more and better projects, that can't be denied.
North Carolina not so much. Georgia's politics must be doing something right considering we are consistently ranked as one of the best states for business. Also one of the fastest growing. The success of these 3 states isn't because of democrat leadership. If you are so miserable, leave lol.

Old 08-03-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
North Carolina not so much. Georgia's politics must be doing something right considering we are consistently ranked as one of the best states for business. Also one of the fastest growing. The success of these 3 states isn't because of democrat leadership.
It's cheaper...in cost of living and corporate taxes. North Carolina, Washington, Virginia, Colorado, Texas are also listed as top states for business. along with Georgia two-three of those states are blue, 2-3 purple and one clearly red now (Texas which is becoming purple to blue). I really hate these simpleton type arguments. There's far more factors going into what makes a state good than republican or democrat, I see you've drank the Kool-Aid for sure though. Most states are red and a few states are blue, the metro areas in most large cities are blue. What businesses are coming to Oklahoma, Mississippi, West Virginia and Kentucky those are solidly red states. Which states despite where businesses are re-locating currently have the largest economies?

Old 08-03-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
It's cheaper... North Carolina, Washington, Virginia, Colorado, Texas are also listed as top states for business. along with Georgia two-three of those states are blue, 2-3 purple and one clearly red now (Texas which is becoming purple to blue). I really hate these simpleton type arguments. There's far more factors going into what makes a state good than republican or democrat, I see you've drank the Kool-Aid for sure though. Most states are red and a few states are blue, the metro areas in most large cities are blue. What businesses are coming to Oklahoma, Mississippi, West Virginia and Kentucky those are solidly red states. Which states despite where businesses are re-locating currently have the largest economies?
Most definitely not cheaper. Of those, 3-4 are more expensive than Georgia...by a lot. Washington and Colorado are nowhere near the same level as the others. VA just went red. Texas isn't going blue. The red states you mentioned don't have desirability factor as the others mentioned. Doesn't matter which color they are. People are flocking to red states from blue states, you can't deny that. Enough of the politics.

Old 08-03-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Most definitely not cheaper. Of those, 3-4 are more expensive than Georgia...by a lot. Washington and Colorado are nowhere near the same level as the others. VA just went red. Texas isn't going blue. The red states you mentioned don't have desirability factor as the others mentioned. Doesn't matter which color they are. People are flocking to red states from blue states, you can't deny that. Enough of the politics.
I didn't say every state was cheaper I said Georgia and most of the states or cities that are attracting jobs are cheaper than the places the jobs are moving from and while not the only factor, that's definitely a significant factor in why these companies chose to relocate. I said jobs are moving to Georgia because it's cheaper to operate the businesses from the places they are coming for the most part whether it be NY, California etc. Other jobs come because metro Atlanta is now the dominant economy of the South outside of Texas so it's a good place to have an operation. VA went red one time but it's mostly a solidly blue state now that won't change as the DC suburbs continue to grow and expand in Virginia. Washington is solidly blue, as is Colorado. North Carolina is a purple state as well as Georgia and they're not getting more republican anytime soon (long term) especially Georgia whose white population decreased by 10,000 from 2010-2020 and the minority population increased by 800K+. There will be swings between elections especially when you have candidates who are unpopular as both Biden and Trump are, but the general trend is a lot of these places being purple or even blue. If you don't think Texas will ever turn blue you've obviously haven't been there in a while. The changes are very visible and noticeable even within a few months time. There's massive amounts of minorities and others moving there from California, NY and other parts of the country. Of course not all of them are democrats but the demographics are changing rapidly. Texas will be a purple state within the next ten years I guarantee if not sooner and eventually blue.

I found this post in a Dallas thread a little while back probably from one of your distance cousins complaining about the changes in Texas.

Before I get into this, let me say this. I'm not singling out Dallas, but they were my last hope. My Texas isn't what it used to be. We are supposed to be the friendly state, but now the "friends" we invited in have chaosed the entire state! I don't even know where I am anymore.

I remember the state where our Texas roots were true and deep. Our beautiful Texas churches were everywhere to the public. Now they're stuck doing everything to themselves because religion is ashamed in public. Taxes and cost of living made it easy to live here. Now they're going up everywhere! Country music was the definition of Texas, now all we have to show for music is that hip hop and what not and Austin's music festivals. I understand country isn't nation wide popular, but it never really was and our country musicians found a way to excel. Even our biggest cities weren't scared to vote red, now people are actually debating on Texas voting blue in the future. Where did it come to this!?

Now why am I singling out Dallas? Because Dallas was the last hope. Austin has been liberal's poster child for quite a while. Houston has been turned to try to be a Chicago type city focusing on "diversity" and urbanization and what not (yaawwwnnn). San Antonio and southern Texas were always their own thing. The Dallas-Fort Worth area was the place! Where one could live in a big city and not be scared to show off your traditional Texas values. Where yes ma'am culture was a priority. Where people still wore their traditional Texas boots (what happened to that one?). Now its plagued by the same route as the other 2 lost causes of Texas, and there's no turning point in site.

Congratulations Texas! You're officially a thing of the past!

Last edited by MichiganderTexan; 08-03-2022 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-03-2022, 02:19 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,824,262 times
Columbus1984, have you driven down Boulevard recently? Holy crap. If we have the best roads in America, this country is screwed.

Old 08-03-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Columbus1984, have you driven down Boulevard recently? Holy crap. If we have the best roads in America, this country is screwed.
Georgia generally has good quality roads as far as the material he uses so I agree with him on that. Up north the roads deteriorate quicker because the salt used on the roads. Metro Atlanta and particularly the city of Atlanta have some bad quality roads. I wasn't even talking about that though I was talking about the limited amount of roads for a metro area the size of Atlanta, and the seeming inability of Georgia to plan or do anything to progress when it comes to infrastructure. A lot of other states (that have the money) are proactive in planning. Georgia is prosperous right now and should have the money to fund infrastructure if it involves tolls, they don't have the will to do anything here and that definitely includes and is a reflection of the people who live here.

Old 08-03-2022, 03:08 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,267,561 times
I'm going to ignore the fact that this thread has been co-opted, and go back to why the music festival was cancelled. Hope y'all don't mind.

Here's two things that should have been a factor in planning Music Midtown.
The first is Atlanta's police report.
https://www.atlantapd.org/about-apd/news
https://www.atlantapd.org/home/showp...45818238300000
Also, notice that so far on 2022 that we have near daily shootings and sometime several in one day.
Almost 3 murders every week.
And from my reading the news, a great many of those are people shooting at groups of strangers at parties, outside bars, music studios, etc. And it's a heck of a lot of innocent bystanders getting shot.
We're in a strange period where all sorts of people are carrying and firing at strangers just because they're angry or insulted. This almost guarantees that if guns are let into the festival, there will be shootings.

And this is from Georgia Carry - a history of Ga gun laws.
https://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/geo...as-carry-laws/

Notice that for almost all of Georgia's history carrying weapons to public gatherings was outlawed.
But now there's this idea that if there's lots of guns, then some good guys will shoot back at the bad guys and all will be well.
That could kind of make sense, but does it make sense in a huge crowd? I'll answer that. No.

The gun law needs to be fixed for festivals.

FWIW, I'm not interested in any general discussion of gun laws. Only the public gathering part.

And lastly, the festival promoters have in this case a reasonable expectation that there may be shootings associated with their festival, and it's quite possible that someone gets killed. If you have a choice. and one of the choices is likely someone gets killed, you should not do it until the problem gets fixed.

Last edited by Thulsa; 08-03-2022 at 04:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta