Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 05:40 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,917,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The poster in question acknowledged that Atlanta is a Fintech hub.

But Fintech is not the same as Finance, and they're also correct that Atlanta falls short in that area, especially without at least one big bank or finance HQ. Charlotte and San Francisco, on the other hand, are *true* finance hubs.
'True' finance hub is in the eye of the educated beholder. And Charlotte doesn't have a Federal Reserve Bank HQ's, they have a branch of the Richmond Bank. All those assets are managed and regulated elsewhere.

Having big bank HQ's is just one piece of the puzzle. And by finance HQ, what part of the company that owns the largest Stock Exchange in the world being here doesn't register?

This dismissiveness in regards to Atlanta's place in the world is becoming ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 05:59 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,695,422 times
No one's trying to dismiss "Atlanta"s place the world." Atlanta is what it is, a corporate and logistics hub for the SE region of the United States.

I'm not sure where the inferiority complex is coming from.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:34 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,361,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
To not consider Atlanta a financial hub is misinformed. In addition to aforementioned important segments of the industry here, are you aware that the NYSE is owned by an Atlanta firm? If your finance major friends plan on on leaving it's because they want to, it's not for lack of opportunity in the field here.
https://www.investopedia.com/insight...-finance-jobs/

https://www.businessinsider.com/best...an-francisco-9

If Atlanta is such a financial hub, then why isn't it on the list? Atlanta is strong in Fintech but Fintech doesn't equal finance. Finance is obviously more broad and encompasses more professions. I wouldn't be so quick to assume they're not staying in Atlanta because of the lack of opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Amen! Firt Data, NCR, Global Payment, Intercontinental Exchange are all based here. Plus, you have big offices for Fiserv, Elavon, and plenty of other companies in the ATL and North Fulton Area.

Please read above.

Quote:
The poster in question acknowledged that Atlanta is a Fintech hub.

But Fintech is not the same as Finance, and they're also correct that Atlanta falls short in that area, especially without at least one big bank or finance HQ. Charlotte and San Francisco, on the other hand, are *true* finance hubs.

Thank you for reading my posts thoroughly. Yes, when I researched best cities for finance, these two cities were on almost every list.

Quote:
'True' finance hub is in the eye of the educated beholder. And Charlotte doesn't have a Federal Reserve Bank HQ's, they have a branch of the Richmond Bank. All those assets are managed and regulated elsewhere.

Having big bank HQ's is just one piece of the puzzle. And by finance HQ, what part of the company that owns the largest Stock Exchange in the world being here doesn't register?
This dismissiveness in regards to Atlanta's place in the world is becoming ridiculous.
I know people in business and when discussing Atlanta, they told me that Atlanta doesn't come to mind for being strong in finance. The quote I put in bold makes me wonder if you are being biased. Please don't take things so personally.

Quote:
No one's trying to dismiss "Atlanta"s place the world." Atlanta is what it is, a corporate and logistics hub for the SE region of the United States.

Agreed.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:12 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,325 times
It seems that all of our economy relies on the issuing of debt and the promise to pay it back.

We could start a new bank tomorrow called the City-Data Bank.

Take $1,000,000 deposit it in the Federal Reserve, and then lend it out 9 times.

I don't understand it, but it's like money doesn't even exist, and promising/paying it back with interest, is the only true thing of value.

Just like with real estate these days: Everything's based on perception of a home's worth and 30-year promises to pay back over double of what you're borrowing.

Even stranger is how those promises get transformed immediately into cold, hard, cash in the seller's bank account.

Do you think people could make monthly payments directly to sellers with amortized interest that could serve as the seller's investment planning for their retirement and get rid of all the hands involved in buying a home today?

Do you think we could ever see interest rates like back in the 80's in the range of 14%-17% on home loans?

Was getting off the gold standard a good thing?

Old 05-18-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:

This is beyond laughable to describe Atlanta as nothing more than "a corporate and logistics hub for the SE region of the United States."

You are clearly incapable of giving Atlanta credit where credit is due, and it deserves to be checked. There's no inferiority complex involved, it's called pushback to uninformed opinion presented as fact.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:38 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,361,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
It seems that all of our economy relies on the issuing of debt and the promise to pay it back.

We could start a new bank tomorrow called the City-Data Bank.

Take $1,000,000 deposit it in the Federal Reserve, and then lend it out 9 times.

I don't understand it, but it's like money doesn't even exist, and promising/paying it back with interest, is the only true thing of value.

Just like with real estate these days: Everything's based on perception of a home's worth and 30-year promises to pay back over double of what you're borrowing.

Even stranger is how those promises get transformed immediately into cold, hard, cash in the seller's bank account.

Do you think people could make monthly payments directly to sellers with amortized interest that could serve as the seller's investment planning for their retirement and get rid of all the hands involved in buying a home today?

Do you think we could ever see interest rates like back in the 80's in the range of 14%-17% on home loans?

Was getting off the gold standard a good thing?

Don't worry. I also spend time thinking about money and how it's just a piece of paper. The interest rates on loans aspect is something I'd like to discuss but maybe in an economic thread or something.

To relate your post back to the topic, I want to say Bitcoin uses Blockchain technology. Bitcoin was actually created by someone/some people who did not want the government and/or any central bank in their business. You will find that nowadays when you do your taxes, the IRS does somehow ask if you trade Bitcoin and attempts to tax you accordingly. It's really interesting to see how the big banks and governments responded to Bitcoin. They hated it as it was something that they could not manipulate to their benefit.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
This is beyond laughable to describe Atlanta as nothing more than "a corporate and logistics hub for the SE region of the United States."

You are clearly incapable of giving Atlanta credit where credit is due, and it deserves to be checked. There's no inferiority complex involved, it's called pushback to uninformed opinion presented as fact.
Fintech revenues in the Atlanta area place us 3rd behind NY and CA. Not too shabby. And look how much there is between the perimeter and Alpharetta.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:23 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,695,422 times
Quote:

Hmmm, I didn't know the bolded was a bad thing.

You're just being argumentative now. Moving on...

Old 05-19-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, I didn't know the bolded was a bad thing.

You're just being argumentative now. Moving on...
The bolded is an extremely outdated and inaccurate thing. Atlanta moved beyond that description decades ago.

You've made it pretty clear that you are unfamiliar with the true stature of the place.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:33 AM

69 posts, read 78,026 times
Quantum computers can break blockchain and they are a decade away.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07449-z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta