Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:00 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
And other neighborhoods would likely have been just as popular. Broke the ability to keep up with demand in order to preserve something that probably would have been fine anyway. And honestly, a good portion of the stuff that would have been torn down was torn down anyway!
Unfortunately and replaced with greenspace, instead of multiple lanes of air pollution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Problem with the connector is although its super wide, it cant take full advantage of its capacity because of the amount of weaving necessary to enter and exit it. After you get so many lanes it just doesn't matter because there are other choke points on the interstate.

I-75 in Henry has always been a big mess. Problem with that road is it's a major inter-regional highway that is only built to handle local traffic (and not even that really)

They should have widened it to 5 lanes each way but that's out the picture now. What they really need to do is make a bypass for Atlanta on the western side from I-75 north of Cobb County to I-75 around Tangier Outlet south of McDonough
It's a major inter-regional highway built to handle interstate commerce, but local traffic has exceeded the capacity. The Federal Interstate Highways were built for interstate commerce and defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Are the neighborhoods around I-20 dead zones? Is Buckhead where 400 is a dead zone? No. Ridiculous. Another classic case of letting the wants of the few outweigh the needs of the many, and we're all far worse off for it.
I guess that all depends on how you look at it. Are car commuters from the suburbs worst? Yes. Are residents of those neighborhoods worst? No.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
This is the best answer ESPECIALLY number 2. You can't efficiently get to/from Florida from anywhere north and west of Atlanta without funneling down 75. All you have to do is pay attention to all the different states' car tags while sitting in traffic. Lots of Canadians too.
We needed an outer perimeter about 15 years ago. Or at least an arc from I-75 on the north side to the McDonough/Macon area. That would provide a route well outside of the congestion for both Florida-bound tourists and the 18-wheelers. Imagine how much easier Atlanta freeways would be with, say, 50% fewer trucks.

But it will never happen.

Houston has two complete perimeters/beltways/circles and is working on a third. And that doesn't even count the informal one formed by I-10/I-45/I-69 in the center of the city. I-285 is not sufficient as a bypass.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:08 AM

617 posts, read 551,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
From the video, it seems traffic was stopped (truck 1)...the Chevy with a trailer came up behind and started slowing down for the first truck. Truck 2 came in flying at full speed and hit pickup/trailer and the first truck.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...EIjJONDayTiwK/

I wouldn't be surprised, if the driver was on drugs or distracted driving. Just another reason why trucks should have mandated automatic emergency braking.
Jeez! First time I am seeing that video and it is just eye opening and SAD. They were literally just sitting ducks on the highway. The charges need to be upgraded since it appears to be just a misdemeanor. He took 4 peoples lives!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:14 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
The law says move the cars. It doesn't matter because the cops go off your statements then account for the damage to your cars.

You aren't leaving the scene, if you are still at the accident site. Now, if you ride to the house...

I'll have to look for it again but it is a legitimate reason that they extend the zone. I think, I read about when they were discussing the construction zone on I-20 in Carroll and Douglas County with all the deaths and crashes during the current construction project. You are suppose to setup a zone in the beginning and end to alleviate the pressure during the work zone to protect workers on both sides hence why you see the cop cars lights so far before the construction, during and after construction zone.

It's a method to the madness, I suppose.

The former: I understand that but hearing the stories I have, it's not uncommon for things to get made up. It's a money making thing and the higher the charge/more charges, the more money the system gets along with damaging the person's opportunities at life. I actually heard a story where somebody left the scene of an accident but because the person was white, she wasn't taken to jail. Doing this warrants an arrest and if she wasn't arrested, she's not even going to get a criminal record, which is what someone black would have faced in this situation.

I don't mind before and during. It's the after point that I'm concerned about. The first thought that comes to mind is how dangerous it would be for workers to get back on the highway when leaving work but if they already have a buffer lane and the one next to that (the third one), then it should be relatively easy to get back on. For this kind of road work it's not usually done during rush hour but outside of. I'm also specifically talking about the 75. I think a thread has been done on the topic and traffic flows so well in comparison to the 85.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
From the video, it seems traffic was stopped (truck 1)...the Chevy with a trailer came up behind and started slowing down for the first truck. Truck 2 came in flying at full speed and hit pickup/trailer and the first truck.

I wouldn't be surprised, if the driver was on drugs or distracted driving.
Just another reason why trucks should have mandated automatic emergency braking.

The person could have also been really tired and temporarily fell asleep. I believe more accidents than people see on the news are a result of people falling asleep at the wheel but anything that has to do with drugs gets more ratings. If the person was on drugs, I'm pretty sure the article would have mentioned it.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Jeez! First time I am seeing that video and it is just eye opening and SAD. They were literally just sitting ducks on the highway. The charges need to be upgraded since it appears to be just a misdemeanor. He took 4 peoples lives!
And yet an SUV driver killed a person on a scooter and gets 0 chargers

Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Yes, so one thing I'm confused about, many on this forum tout lack of traffic as a benefit to living on the southside. Now to be fair I've only driven through Henry county twice, but it was a terrible cluster F. We stopped in Locust Grove to grab a quick dinner on the way back from a road trip, and we were sorry we did. The area near the on/off ramp there was a horrible mess of traffic, unlike what I've seen in East Cobb.
That's not the southside they're talking about. I think people mean more South Dekalb, southeast and southwest Atlanta, the Tri-Cities, Clayton County, and the boot of Fulton County. Don't get me wrong, I'm saying that Fayette or Henry are bad either, but they do have their problem with congestion. It has less to do with volume and more to do with lack of options.

Henry county basically only has I-75 as the only major road that connects to the rest of the metro, and Fayette county has no highway running through it at all with only US-54 as it's main artery in or out.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:22 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yeah seriously. If they determine that the SUV driver was doing 40+ (which is what I suspect based on the picture of the damage), then s/he really needs to be charged with something.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:51 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The person on the scooter likely killed himself by riding the darn thing in the dark, where he wasn't supposed to be and with disregard to his environment. Smack right back at ya.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:03 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised, if the driver was on drugs or distracted driving. Just another reason why trucks should have mandated automatic emergency braking.
This situation is all too common even with just small cars. Traffic is unexpectedly slow or stopped ahead and people are roaring up at 70+ mph. It's one of my biggest fears while driving. I was keeping up with the news about the first wreck at the 675 split and when I first saw the picture of the one to the south, I knew immediately that's what happened. What I didn't know was that there was a pickup in just the wrong place at the wrong time. I figured the cab of the truck at the rear did all that damage.

Definitely agree about the automated braking. So many fatalities just from that. It's bad enough to have a small car rear end you at speed. You don't stand a chance with an 18 wheeler. This (not for the faint of heart) happened on I-20 a few years back. Pickup absolutely crushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta