U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 PM

157 posts, read 274,025 times

Advertisements

well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 10:52 PM

10 posts, read 38,755 times
Neil, I have a hard time seeing how that was racist. Just because it was an article about race does not make it racist. And, you can say all you want about it not mattering, but the truth is that in Atlanta, it DOES matter. Anyone can see that. Even though I am black, I am not the type of voter that picks a mayor simply based on race. I think that is a very ignorant way of approaching it. But many black Atlantans do vote based only on race. So, this subject merits discussion.

Personally, I think Atlanta is headed for a non-black majority. But, I think the city demographics will resemble big cities like Chicago, NYC, with no majority race.

Once this happens, it will be a very interesting political landscape. I read in an article, which I cannot locate but will try, in a Washington D.C. newspaper that quoted Mayor Franklin herself she was worried about Atlanta losing a black majority due to the political changes it will bring about.

Just because a post talks about race does not make it racist.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:39 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,675,353 times
The area around Cascade is growing as well. I believe no matter what happens in terms of demographics, the number of wealthy black Atlanta citizens will always wield a significant amount of power. What is the concern, anyway, beyond that certain areas of Atlanta would be ignored over others, and has that not been happening already?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,738,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I believe no matter what happens in terms of demographics, the number of wealthy black Atlanta citizens will always wield a significant amount of power.
One thing to note however, is that over the years, a lot of the wealthy black citizens have left the city and live in communities and/or subdivisions that are technically just outside the city limits of Atlanta. They won't be able to vote for a Mayor in an election.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:06 PM

14,385 posts, read 23,049,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
One thing to note however, is that over the years, a lot of the wealthy black citizens have left the city and live in communities and/or subdivisions that are technically just outside the city limits of Atlanta. They won't be able to vote for a Mayor in an election.
Unless Atlanta annexes Sandtown and the rest of unincorporated South Fulton (north of Union City/Fairburn)...as it should.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,718,730 times
I think this is making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm black and I welcome whites moving back into the city. It's about time that people of all backgrounds become comfortable with living each other in an urban environment. White flight killed many cities natioinwide and I can only hope that white in-migration will improve the quality of life within cities. The only thing left to hope for personally is for more professional/middle-class blacks to move back into the cities instead of fleeing to the suburbs in large masses like their white counterparts did decades ago. But the bottom line is that I don't care which group is in the majority; just as long as we can get along and enusre the progress of our city.

As far as political ramifications, I think that there have been recent elections that show that the general populace isn't so dim to vote simply along racial lines. Cathy Woolard, a white woman, happened to be elected president of the city council of Atlanta and received widespread black support. Kwanza Hall, the city councilman for my district which includes Inman Park and the Old Fourth Ward, received a lot of support from whites who chose him over his white opponent. Natalyn Archibong in East Atlanta also received, and continues to receive, widespread white support. Elsewhere in the state, in predominantly black Augusta, where racial tensions vastly dwarf those in Atlanta, they elected a white mayor. Blacks overwhelmingly supported the white mayor Bryan Thompson over his black opponent down in predominantly black Brunswick. As long as a politican shows that they have the interests of the whole community, they will get elected.

Last edited by south-to-west; 04-15-2008 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 PM

14,385 posts, read 23,049,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
I think this is making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm black and I welcome whites moving back into the city. It's about time that people of all backgrounds become comfortable with living each other in an urban environment. White flight killed many cities natioinwide and I can only hope that white in-migration will improve the quality of life within cities. The only thing left to hope for personally is for more professional/middle-class blacks to move back into the cities instead of fleeing to the suburbs in large masses like their white counterparts did decades ago. But the bottom line is that I don't care which group is in the majority; just as long as we can get along and enusre the progress of our city.

As far as political ramifications, I think that there have been recent elections that show that the general populace isn't so dim to vote simply along racial lines. Cathy Woolard, a white woman, happened to be elected president of the city council of Atlanta and received widespread black support. Kwanza Hall, the city councilman for my district which includes Inman Park and the Old Fourth Ward, received a lot of support from whites who chose him over his white opponent. Natalyn Archibong in East Atlanta also received, and continues to receive, widespread white support. Elsewhere in the state, in predominantly black Augusta, where racial tensions vastly dwarf those in Atlanta, they elected a white mayor. Blacks overwhelmingly supported the white mayor Bryan Thompson over his black opponent down in predominantly black Brunswick. As long as a politican shows that they have the interests of the whole community, they will get elected.
The same thing in Macon too.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,018 times
There could be bigger forces at work such as current trends in employment, migration rates, birth rates, and death rates that could be changing the racial makeup of Atlanta. Food for thought. [url=http://www.demoreports.com]Demographics US City, Demographic Information, Population, Census, Reports[/url]

Old 04-26-2008, 07:26 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,459,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Really, despite her issues, Shirley Franklin also has alot of support from white voters. Heck, even Neal Boortz said that he liked her (except for when she did that Fulton County election radio advertisement a couple of years ago that said that electing a white commission chairperson would be like turning the fire hoses on people during the civil rights movement - many white voters were not happy about that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or