U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:36 PM

10 posts, read 38,763 times

Advertisements

There was a post a few days ago titled "Worried About Atlanta" was posted on here. Now, the post was most likely fake. But, it did raise a valid point. I live in Atlanta, and happen to be black, but I did not share the exact same views as the poster. If you didnt read it, the poster was concerned/worried that the black majority of Atlanta is declining, and wanted the Mayor and City Council to do something about it. The truth is, a good amount of people are concerned that the black majority in Atlanta is going to disappear. 10 years ago I would have laughed at he idea of a non-black majority city of Atlanta, but my view has changed now. I also did some research on a person mentioned in the post, Keating, a professor from Georgia Tech, and found an article on gentrification in the city written by him: Current gentrification in Atlanta contrasts to previous restoration. HE thinks that the gentrification of Atlanta is happening at an extrememly rapid pace. So, I am beginning to think that gentrification, added to the increased density of Buckhead and Midtown is going to swing the demographics in Atlanta to a non-black majority in the next decade. Most of those condos being built in Midtown, Buckhead, and Downtown are being bought by whites.
All in all, as a black person I am not as concerned as the person was in the post. Although the political landscape will change along with the demographics, leading to the possibility of a white mayor. What do you guys think, just a fad, or is this trend going to lead to a non-black majority Atlanta in the coming years?

Here are some articles covering the topic:
The Census Shows Growth In Atlanta's Population - New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/na...=1&oref=slogin
Article - National News (http://www.blackpressusa.com/news/Article.asp?SID=3&Title=National+News&NewsID=3568 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 03:17 PM

23,125 posts, read 36,376,608 times
Trend or fad? Hard to say.
I remember my uncle, who had been deeply involved in state and local politics, predicted 15 years ago that this would happen. It seems that two things have happened over that period...whites that could afford to do so have moved back into the north side of the city, and blacks that could afford to do so have fled the south side of the city for the suburbs. Is it going to have an effect on the political dynamic of Atlanta? Not sure...that may depend on who we have on the slate for mayor...I'm not sure that the political agendas of the white and black communities are that far apart anymore. It seems to me that they both want a lot of the same things...clean up the infrastructure, increase the police presence, streamline the bureaucracy, improve the schools, bring financial solvency to city govt, and make Atlanta a decent place to live. Shirley Franklin's popularity is proof to me that a mayor can inspire political unity.
My feeling is that while there is a definite swing towards a white majority, eventually the pendulum will swing back as blacks continue to reach economic parity with whites. The final result will be that the city on the whole will be more affluent as accessibility becomes more and more important and Atlanta starts to resemble a more European-type model of urban development.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:20 PM

7,858 posts, read 15,197,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldChamp View Post
What do you guys think, just a fad, or is this trend going to lead to a non-black majority Atlanta in the coming years?
And does having a black majority matter? Isn't having qualified and competent leaders and caring neighbors a more important matter? Is Franklin and the black majority getting the job done? Clayton County has a black majority...are they getting things done?

What if a new majority in Atlanta was non-black, but also non-white? If a plurality of whites and hispanics made up the majority, would that be OK?

I guess questions like this smack of racism to me. I thought MLK had a dream that race and skin color wouldn't matter?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:35 PM

28 posts, read 174,076 times
i thought a lot of black professionals were moving to atlanta?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:49 PM

23,125 posts, read 36,376,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And does having a black majority matter? Isn't having qualified and competent leaders and caring neighbors a more important matter? Is Franklin and the black majority getting the job done? Clayton County has a black majority...are they getting things done?

What if a new majority in Atlanta was non-black, but also non-white? If a plurality of whites and hispanics made up the majority, would that be OK?

I guess questions like this smack of racism to me. I thought MLK had a dream that race and skin color wouldn't matter?
I feel like the OP is actually very hard not to frame his assertions in that way...he's trying to take an academic approach to what is clearly a very touchy subject.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:23 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,460,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzfloridagurl View Post
i thought a lot of black professionals were moving to atlanta?
They are moving to the suburbs, especially South Dekalb.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:34 PM

49 posts, read 214,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Somebody is catching major feelings.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:05 PM

157 posts, read 274,137 times
Shouldn't it just be ATLANTA.....not black or white or green or purple ATLANTA. It should be what's best for the PEOPLE regardless of their color. Come on people.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:25 PM

7,858 posts, read 15,197,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletnice View Post
Shouldn't it just be ATLANTA.....not black or white or green or purple ATLANTA. It should be what's best for the PEOPLE regardless of their color. Come on people.
That's my point. No "feelings" or anything else except asking the question why it matters?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:00 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,747,323 times
Quote:
If you didnt read it, the poster was concerned/worried that the black majority of Atlanta is declining, and wanted the Mayor and City Council to do something about it.
I guess maybe I can't remember that original post, but exactly what did he mean by "do something about it"? Deport everyone who isn't black? Charge more taxes to whites and other races so they move out and only blacks remain? Geez, whoever that was, frankly - well, I can't say it but DUH.

Quote:
The truth is, a good amount of people are concerned that the black majority in Atlanta is going to disappear.

...Although the political landscape will change along with the demographics, leading to the possibility of a white mayor. What do you guys think, just a fad, or is this trend going to lead to a non-black majority Atlanta in the coming years?

Frankly speaking (which I'm known for), I think it's time for a white Mayor - or a Hispanic Mayor - or for that matter an Asian Mayor here. To quote the candidates for President lately... "It's time for change".

Now, topics in the past which have got very heated have covered this in various forms before. Some say that since the black Mayors became the norm in the 70s, that Atlanta has seen a steady increase in crime, corruption, budget messes, etc. Others say that has nothing to do with it. Some feel that majority black cities are amongst the most problemed cities in America (Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc.). Some statistics would seem to support this. Others say it's racist. Some agree, some don't.

Most of these cities are not growing and attracting new people. Only Atlanta has attracted more "diverse" groups other than blacks and is growing rapidly - those other cities are dried up on some level or actually shrinking, and have been and will remain for a long time, majority black. Atlanta may not. Perhaps we can add New Orleans to that in the future if more whites/other races wind up migrating there as they rebuild, too. That will remain to be seen. Regardless, yes, it will be interesting to see Atlanta's political face(s) in a decade. Clark Howard, perhaps?

I do know this: The last Mayor was caught giving contracts to minority contractors who padded his pocket. He evaded taxes and did a varity of other things, and has only just recently got out of a Federal prison (now in a halfway house I think) as a result of it. The current Mayor has padded the most important offices in the city with her personal friends and acquaintances (all major rolls being minority), and has just recently announced a 70 million dollar city budget shortfall where no one seems to know where it all went. It's basically been an old South "good old boy" system in Atlanta, only with minority corruption having replaced the old South white rednecks a time ago. I do believe it's time for major changes.

Whether those changes as mentioned earlier are White, Hispanic, Asian - heck MARTIAN would be a decent change - who knows? But yes, I think a lot of folks are looking forward to the day when someone gets voted into that office based on their accomplishments and not just the color of their skin. That may only happen when there is a true diverse mix of voters in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or