Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 12:31 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
As a Georgia native here in the Dallas burbs for 15 years now, would put the Gwinnett County School System on par with any of the north Dallas burbs.

Edit: Just noticed you are in Houston area, thought I had seen a previous post from you and assumed Dallas area.
That's definitely good to hear seeing as North Dallas Burbs has some really great schools. And I actually moved back to Houston from Atlanta. Me and my wife are exploring our options before our child starts grade school and we've narrowed them down to staying in Houston, moving to DFW or moving back to Atlanta. I'm very familiar with Dallas area considering I have tons of family from Dallas and have visited the area more times than I can remember since I was child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 01:13 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Just judging based off of school digger and great schools website the great schools or Art schools for a school with a size able black demographic( over 20% or predominantly)especially in a decent neighborhood or suburb in the area are few far and between atleast on the outside looking in. I was totally caught off guard by this considering how there’s so much progressives opportunities for Black ppl in Atlanta. Mind you I actually did live here and know how much me and my wife benefited from the opportunities That presented itself to us by people that look like us. Of course I understand that there still is a big disparity between race and class in Atlanta that tv doesn’t necessarily show and it’s not All peaches and cream in “Hotlanta”. But considering when we moved, schools were the last thing on our mind and to see the state of the schools is kind of disappointing. It could really be the difference between moving to DFW or Atlanta at this point.
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on websites like greatschools. They don't tell you how your child is going to perform or the quality of the education he or she will receive.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:37 AM

340 posts, read 320,701 times
Personally,I know that the North Fulton area of Johns Creek, Alpharetta, Milton all have some of the best schools ranging from sports to academics. Forsyth also is starting to develop a very good school system as well.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:44 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,928 times
This is why school vouchers are a good thing. Public schools failed a generation of Americans, and are failing more younger generations of Americans.

Think of it this way, you want your kid to go to the best school possible, you place them in a charter school with gov't vouchers, either the charters win or the public schools step up their game with the competition of charters taking pupils away from their system along with funding dollars. In the end, the public schools will fail, because more and more charters will pop up, you'll have 5-10 Charter systems in a city like Atlanta, instead of being forced to rely on the public system.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:48 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Segregation and the fact that we pay for schools through property tax. Atlanta is one of the worst cities for upward mobility. Fulton is the perfect example of this. How can you have some of the best and worst schools in the state in the same school system?
This right here. Fulton is county the city of Atlanta is locating within and is a directed result of desegregation and flight to the suburbs that started in late 60’s and 70’s. Some whites did not want their tax money going to schools and other important infrastructures of color. That why we see the creation of new cities and a distinction between North Fulton and South Fulton as well. I think some good changes are in store, since Fulton property taxes within the city went out significantly. Let hope our elected officials do the right things with the extra money.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:01 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Segregation and the fact that we pay for schools through property tax. Atlanta is one of the worst cities for upward mobility. Fulton is the perfect example of this. How can you have some of the best and worst schools in the state in the same school system?
No doubt segregation is a factor. But don't the south Fulton schools get the same funding as north Fulton schools?

Old 06-16-2019, 07:34 AM

446 posts, read 396,434 times
You might also ask, What's with the public libraries in Atlanta?

Answer: The city government.

Same reason the city water tastes so bad.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:54 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Housing budget is around 300k and my job that I would be transferring back to is in Duluth.
As someone said earlier, there are plenty of choices in Gwinnett. The one that I have experienced personally is Camp Creek Elementary in Lilburn. In that school zone you can go K-12 in great to very good schools, and there might not be a single race/ethnicity that is over 50%. The older neighborhoods are spotty when it comes to diversity, even then, they won’t be all white, and generally welcoming. There might be equally good choices closer to Duluth, but Lilburn is definitely a doable commute. I think you just need to dig a little deeper. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2019, 11:11 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Definitely suggest you look at Gwinnett County schools. A lot like Ft. Bend ISD in the Houston area. Or Katy ISD, but a little more diverse.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:43 PM

104 posts, read 61,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on websites like greatschools. They don't tell you how your child is going to perform or the quality of the education he or she will receive.
You could pretty much boil GreatSchools.org into a one page website. You get a little calculator where you input the median household income of the school district and the percent of its demographic that is white and it spits out a school rating based on those 2 variables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta