Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:34 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times

Advertisements

Swipe right to be in the Atlanta Clique
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 07:10 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Welcome south, brother!

That's one of our main slogans.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:59 AM

19 posts, read 27,318 times
@ATLJan I am a portrait and commercial photographer. Commercially my main focus would be advertising for brands. But yes, that’s what my friend was talking about. Thanks for your response! This gave me some good insight. I was wondering if you could answer one more question for my mom actually because she would be moving here with her business. She is a business consultant for small business owners who want to grow their company. She provides training for employees and other business tools to help them work more efficiently and she coaches business owners to help them navigate their business better. Do you think she would have a hard time gaining clients? Or would she be able to get “in” of course with the same hard work applied?

Also, anyone that’s reading this feel free to chime in! I appreciate everyone’s response.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:03 AM

19 posts, read 27,318 times
@citykid3785 that’s good to hear! I’m not sure how the rumor got started when everyone on here has been consistent in their thoughts lol

Old 06-15-2019, 09:28 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
As far as the South goes, I think that smaller cities such as Charleston and Savannah or towns like Hilton Head, SC would be much harder for newcomers. People who are native to such cities seem to all know each other, have gone to school together, and grew up together, so it's harder to "break into" their society. I had friends who lived in Hilton Head for a year or two and they were miserable because it was so cliquey.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:32 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Not cliquey at all. In my 30 years in Atlanta, I felt very welcomed by all groups of folks - gay, straight, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, rich, poor. As long as you stay open minded and are yourself accepting, you'll fit right in.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:49 PM

104 posts, read 61,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Cliquey? How is that possible in a high-growth metro where most residents are from somewhere else?
You want cliquey, look to low-growth cities like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh or St. Louis..."Where did you go to high school?"LOL.
2 of those cities are high growth that millennials are moving to in droves so they can afford houses and families and the 3rd is about to join them pretty soon I feel like. Also I wouldn't consider Fayetteville or Peachtree City "cliquey"...I think most people there just make friends by meeting other parents at their children's soccer games.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:23 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
2 of those cities are high growth that millennials are moving to in droves so they can afford houses and families and the 3rd is about to join them pretty soon I feel like. Also I wouldn't consider Fayetteville or Peachtree City "cliquey"...I think most people there just make friends by meeting other parents at their children's soccer games.
What do you consider "high growth"?

The population rate of change of Pittsburgh Metro Area (PA) was -0.29% in 2017.

The population rate of change of Cincinnati Metro Area (OH-KY-IN) was 0.48% in 2017.

The population rate of change of St. Louis Metro Area (MO-IL) was 0.06% in 2017.

The population rate of change of Atlanta Metro Area (GA) was 1.57% in 2017.

"Moving to in droves" sounds a tad hyperbolic. Hipster buzz isn't really translating to real numbers thus far.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 PM

145 posts, read 93,313 times
I have heard white friends say that if you're not from the South or didn't go to a Southern school they found it hard to find a new job here.

One friend originally transferred here from a New York based company that opened an office in Atlanta. After two years they closed the Atlanta branch and kept open the office in New York. The entire Atlanta office was laid off.

He first applied for jobs here in Atlanta to avoid having to sell his condo and move. He got nowhere. At the job he really wanted here, they had 3 open positions, with 4 applicants. Of the 3 only he didn't get the position. He's from Philadelphia, got his BS and MBA at Georgetown University. Good looking white guy, great smile, very friendly. He learned that the other applicants were UGA, Ole Miss and Auburn grads and very unimpressive to look at.

He ended up moving to New York and quickly found a job at a private equity firm. Yet he went on six or seven interviews in Atlanta and landed nothing. He's fairly certain it's because he wasn't from the South and didn't go to a university in the South.

Do a quick online glance at the private equity firms in Atlanta. Visit the "our team" profiles and look at their education background. Almost exclusively all Southern schools. So yes Atlanta is regionally very cliquey.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:38 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,277,315 times
Yes, I find Atlanta is very cliquey. I actually live in the city of Atlanta, and I see that the neighborhoods can be very judgmental as well.

Examples: If you live in Midtown, you are automatically considered gay.
If you aren't white, but you live in gentrified O4W, you don't belong there or you got lost.
If you are walking through L5P, you're just a tourist or homeless person.
If you live in EAV, people will assume you are a bartender or server.
If you live in Candler Park, people assume you have a family.
etc....

So yes, it is cliquey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta