Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 06:57 PM

19 posts, read 27,296 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So I'm from Chicago and I have my own photography business. I'm considering moving to Peachtree City, Ga or Fayetteville Ga, but expect that a lot of work would come from Atlanta. However, I have heard countless times that Atlanta is very cliquey so I'm concerned with how difficult it would be to build my network if many people are like this.

I have no problem going out and meeting new people but everyone makes it seem as though you can't really meet people because they aren't receptive. My first thought was that if these kinds of cliques do exist, it's mainly in the music/entertainment industries, but I can be completely wrong.

Could someone tell me their experience for those who have started a business in the Atlanta area or just those that dwell in this area?

Also, if Atlanta is as cliquey as people say, could you recommend some other nice-sized cities near Peachtree/Fayetteville that's good for small business? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 07:05 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Cliquey? How is that possible in a high-growth metro where most residents are from somewhere else?
You want cliquey, look to low-growth cities like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh or St. Louis..."Where did you go to high school?"LOL.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:10 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
is "cliquey" code?

Old 06-14-2019, 07:13 PM

Lol yeah and that’s what was confusing because I wouldn’t expect a city like Atlanta to be cliquey given it’s growth but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for responding!

Old 06-14-2019, 07:15 PM

@turkeydance no it isn’t code for anything but for example one of my friends was telling me that in order to get opportunities you really have to know someone (that’s like that everyone imo) but she made it seem like people in general are not interested in letting you into their inner circle

Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malasiaj View Post
Lol yeah and that’s what was confusing because I wouldn’t expect a city like Atlanta to be cliquey given it’s growth but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for responding!
If Atlanta natives chose to be cliquey, they'd be the ones out in the cold! I should know, I am one.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malasiaj View Post
Hello,

So I'm from Chicago and I have my own photography business. I'm considering moving to Peachtree City, Ga or Fayetteville Ga, but expect that a lot of work would come from Atlanta. However, I have heard countless times that Atlanta is very cliquey so I'm concerned with how difficult it would be to build my network if many people are like this.

I have no problem going out and meeting new people but everyone makes it seem as though you can't really meet people because they aren't receptive. My first thought was that if these kinds of cliques do exist, it's mainly in the music/entertainment industries, but I can be completely wrong.

Could someone tell me their experience for those who have started a business in the Atlanta area or just those that dwell in this area?

Also, if Atlanta is as cliquey as people say, could you recommend some other nice-sized cities near Peachtree/Fayetteville that's good for small business? Thanks!
It’s wayyyyy too many transplants in Atlanta for it to be clicque ish. Me and my Wife easily made new friends and associates while living in Atlanta.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:04 PM

@Redlionjr thank you! I’m glad to hear it. I really like Atlanta.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:44 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
What type of photography business are you in? In any city wherever you go, there are cliques within each industry. Is that what your friend was talking about? For example, this country club's members may use this set of wedding photographers. Or all the busy actors use these 3 headshot photographers. I do think this can be the case, but for Atlanta, I would say there are ways to get "in"--do great work and get it in front of key players.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:21 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Atlanta is the just the opposite, and I'm sensitive to closed off places. On the contrary, I have found Atlanta to be neighborly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta