Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 09:57 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times

Advertisements

"I'm going to the Braves game tonight".

Not sure I've ever heard someone say "I'm going to a game at SunTrust Park tonight".

If you say you're going to the Battery I will never assume you are going to a game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 10:02 AM

25 posts, read 18,595 times
dumbest name change in history I think...Truist...stupid stupid stupid

Old 01-12-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darral pincus View Post
dumbest name change in history I think...Truist...stupid stupid stupid
Lets take two names that have dumped 10s of millions into market for decades, build up brand recognition, market presence.....then, then, lets just throw them in the trash. Brilliant!!

Old 01-12-2020, 02:11 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I find truist hard to pronounce.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:18 PM

Wow, my last post isn't very legible.

"Lets take two names that we have dumped 100s of millions into marketing for decades, build up brand recognition, market presence.....then, then, lets just throw them in the trash. Brilliant!!"

That was how that was suppose to read.

Pretty sure the merging execs would never agree to one or the other name and their penis' got in the way. That would be my guess anyhow.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:31 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Wow, my last post isn't very legible.

"Lets take two names that we have dumped 100s of millions into marketing for decades, build up brand recognition, market presence.....then, then, lets just throw them in the trash. Brilliant!!"

That was how that was suppose to read.

Pretty sure the merging execs would never agree to one or the other name and their penis' got in the way. That would be my guess anyhow.
From what I understand, both BB&T and SunTrust were looking to better compete with other major banks (like Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc.) in the increasingly important online banking market.

BB&T's and SunTrust's desire to much more effectively compete in the growing online banking market seemed to be one of the biggest motivations for the mega-merger (in which BB&T acquired SunTrust and located the headquarters of the newly-combined bank in Charlotte).

And while I personally also do not like and/or at all care for the "Truist" name that BB&T and SunTrust executives came up with for the newly-combined bank, I do know that one of the major motivations for BB&T and SunTrust executives to not continue with either the BB&T or SunTrust names was a desire to attempt to totally rebrand and recreate their newly-combined banking operation as a rising giant in the FinTech world that could better compete with Bank of America and Wells Fargo in the increasingly lucrative and important online banking market... Which was a market where both BB&T and SunTrust seemed to be lacking (and losing ground to competitors).

Old 01-13-2020, 07:42 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,378,113 times
SunTrust, BB&T launch Truist Purple visual identity and logo

In a highly-anticipated Monday morning release, Truist – the entity created by the merger of SunTrust and BB&T – unveiled its logo, symbolizing the concept of a true merger of equals..."

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

Old 01-13-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
From what I understand, both BB&T and SunTrust were looking to better compete with other major banks (like Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc.) in the increasingly important online banking market.

BB&T's and SunTrust's desire to much more effectively compete in the growing online banking market seemed to be one of the biggest motivations for the mega-merger (in which BB&T acquired SunTrust and located the headquarters of the newly-combined bank in Charlotte).

And while I personally also do not like and/or at all care for the "Truist" name that BB&T and SunTrust executives came up with for the newly-combined bank, I do know that one of the major motivations for BB&T and SunTrust executives to not continue with either the BB&T or SunTrust names was a desire to attempt to totally rebrand and recreate their newly-combined banking operation as a rising giant in the FinTech world that could better compete with Bank of America and Wells Fargo in the increasingly lucrative and important online banking market... Which was a market where both BB&T and SunTrust seemed to be lacking (and losing ground to competitors).

What are some of the FinTech products you are speaking of? Where is say WF/BofA making money with the avg depositor where SunTrust/BB&T wasn't?

Old 01-13-2020, 11:49 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I find truist hard to pronounce.

Arjay, That's because it actually IS hard to (know how) to pronounce. Most commonly, English speakers pronounce a "ui" syllable as a long-u sound, as in suit, juice, bruise. But sometimes "ui" makes other sounds, and the speaker just has to be familiar with the word, as in beguile and circuit.

It's not that common for "ui" to be pronounced 2 syllables, like they are asking us to read it. I imagine they are making a play on the word "altruist". . .give me a break. I see their name choice having more in common w/ "suicide".

Old 01-13-2020, 05:34 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
What are some of the FinTech products you are speaking of? Where is say WF/BofA making money with the avg depositor where SunTrust/BB&T wasn't?
I don't know, Hoss.

You'd have to ask someone on the inside about the details of what and why they (the leaders of BB&T and SunTrust) were thinking what they were thinking before during and after the merger process.

I just know that both banks were saying that they thought they were lacking in their online banking offerings, and that they both thought that they needed to do something drastic to address their online banking shortcomings while also desiring to rebrand themselves as some kind of FinTech giants under the new combined bank banner.

I also just know that it sucks for Atlanta to lose the very last of its major bank headquarters to Charlotte after roughly 35 years of mergers, acquisitions and takeovers by aggressive North Carolina banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta