Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 02:38 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
DFW not only had TI begin there but EDS, Dickies, Fossil, Hagger Slacks, Omni Hotels, La Quinta, Pier I, Niemen Marcus, Radio Shack, Dr. Pepper, which is older than Coke, Southwest airlines American airlines, Dave and Busters, Top Golf, Container store, DR Horton Homes, Game Stop and 7 - 11. Your response shows you have no clue.
Stop taking credit for Fort Worth's achievements Dallas homer!

Pier 1 Imports -- Founded in California. Headquartered in Fort Worth.

Radio Shack -- Founded and HQ'd in Fort Worth.

Dickies -- Founded and HQ'd in Fort Worth

DR Horton -- Founded in Fort Worth. HQ'd in Arlington, TX.

American Airlines -- Founded in New Jersey. HQ'd in Fort Worth.

Omni Hotels -- Founded in Atlanta, GA (lol). HQ'd in Dallas.

La Quinta Hotels -- Founded in San Antonio. HQ'd in Irving, TX.

Top Golf -- Founded in Europe, initially HQ'd in Alexandria, VA. Currently HQ'd in Dallas

Dr Pepper/(Parent) Keirig Dr Pepper -- Founded in Waco, TX. Parent company HQ'd in Burlington, MA. Subsidy Dr Pepper/Snapple based in Plano.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Southwest Airlines -- Dallas

Nieman Marcus -- Dallas

Dave and Buster's -- Dallas

7-11 -- Dallas

Hagger -- Dallas

Fossil -- Dallas

TI -- Dallas

EDS -- Dallas (long defunct)

Out of the 16 companies you gave Dallas credit for, 9 were either not founded in Dallas and/or based in another city. 8 are legit Dallas founded and based companies 1 of those is defunct.

Something else to point out is the vast amount of Atlanta based companies and companies that announce relocation or expansion to the area, generally select locations ITP. Unlike Dallas where most F1000 companies are spread anywhere from Fort Worth to Plano.

And, you say I have no clue!?!

Quote:
You mentioned GT and Emory well Chicago and Los Angeles have better schools yet his lost population. Philly has an Ivy and Drexel U, but people left, 500K over 40 years.
Atlanta, Chicago and LA are all superior centers of higher education attracting more research grants than Dallas.

Atlanta has tens of thousands of college/university students within a 5 mile radius of the core area. How many for Dallas?

EDIT: In fairness my initial post left out several Dallas founded companies that Walker1962 listed.

In respect for the forum and for the sake of staying on-topic, I'm done with this 'debate' between Atlanta and Dallas with Walker Texas Ranger. Two areas that I'm extremely familiar with and fond of and don't want to come across like a homer for one or hater of the other.

Last edited by First24; 09-07-2021 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 02:41 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post

Top Golf -- Founded in Europe, initially HQ'd in Alexandria, VA. Currently HQ'd in Dallas

Dr Pepper/(Parent) Keirig Dr Pepper -- Founded in Waco, TX. Parent company HQ'd in Burlington, MA. Subsidy Dr Pepper/Snapple based in Plano.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Hagger -- Dallas

Fossil -- Dallas

TI -- Dallas

Something else to point out is the vast amount of Atlanta based companies and companies that announce relocation or expansion to the area, overwhelmingly select locations ITP. Unlike Dallas where most F100 companies are spread anywhere from Fort Worth to Plano.

Out of the 14 companies you gave Dallas credit for, 9 were either not founded in Dallas and/or based in another city. 6 are legit Dallas founded and based companies 1 of those is defunct.

And? Atlanta, Chicago and LA are all superior centers of higher education attracting more research grants than Dallas.
Mic drop!

And the lies just keep coming...

Old 09-07-2021, 03:02 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
Since moving, over half of this poster's posts are about Atlanta... and half of those always mentioning Dallas Fort Worth... is there a block user option?

Old 09-07-2021, 03:08 PM

705 posts, read 445,338 times
Quote:
You're OBSESSED with me...let it go Elsa. I get plenty right...with links compared to many Atlanta boosters. I don't need to hear you brag about your convos with MSFT. Bankhead station isn't midtown. When are they going to go vertical? I've owned the stock for 20 years. Truthfully, of all the proposed business deals for the region, this has the potential to the most transformative, the way other expansions/relocations haven't.
I wasn't bragging about MSFT contacting me, my point was that's another indication that Microsoft has massive plans for Atlanta as they are aggressively looking for people. Everything you are saying is mostly false because there is enough information out there to dispute what you're saying. The Atlanta region is doing fine and thriving despite your desperate attempts to portray it otherwise. Bankhead is on the edge of what is considered West Midtown, Bankhead contains the betline and is starting to see massive investments and developments. West Midtown has already been seeing massive development for years. If it was a data center it would be built where land is cheap and readily available. That's not the case in Bankhead and there are now townhomes that have gone for sale in the 700K range there. You get a lot of basic stuff about Atlanta wrong, it's either outdated, misleading, a complete spin, or irrelevant straw man arguments. Since DFW and Texas is so great why do you spend so much time trying to downplay Atlanta, shouldn't you be enjoying your own city?

Last edited by MichiganderTexan; 09-07-2021 at 03:20 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 03:16 PM

705 posts, read 445,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post

Hagger -- Dallas

Fossil -- Dallas

TI -- Dallas

Out of the 14 companies you gave Dallas credit for, 9 were either not founded in Dallas and/or based in another city. 6 are legit Dallas founded and based companies 1 of those is defunct.

Something else to point out is the vast amount of Atlanta based companies and companies that announce relocation or expansion to the area, generally select locations ITP. Unlike Dallas where most F1000 companies are spread anywhere from Fort Worth to Plano.

Atlanta, Chicago and LA are all superior centers of higher education attracting more research grants than Dallas.

Atlanta has tens of thousands of college/university students within a 5 mile radius of the core area. How many for Dallas?
I don't even have a problem with him saying good things about DFW. I'm not going to waste time arguing with him going back and forth about attributes of each city. DFW is a good area that has a lot to offer and it generally does have a better and larger economy in Atlanta. There's a lot to like about it, and some things I don't like about it. I'm not going to disparage it just because a poster from there has an unhealthy obsession over Atlanta. My problem is anytime someone posts ANYTHING about Atlanta he comes and posts any negative thing he can say, and a lot of it is inaccurate or biased and very misleading at best.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:25 PM

254 posts, read 131,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Something is seriously wrong with you there's no logical reason for someone to be so obsessed and spread so much hate and misinformation about another city It's not a freaking data center! This has been described ad ad nauseum in many articles and Microsoft themselves have described it as a major hub that will only be surpassed by their West coast hubs. Microsoft has already announced the location of their data centers. Why would they even buy land basically near Midtown for a data center makes no sense and you know that, you're just trolling. If you are going to troll at least get more than 10% of your statements right. Microsoft has reached out to me a dozen times in the last several months about the fact that they are looking for a massive number of Engineers in the future for their new Atlanta campus and Microsoft Yards in Atlantic station. They will already have 2000-3000 people working at their Atlantic station office within the next year. The fact that you keep trying to put this off as a data center when all of the information out there emphatically says it's not shows how much of a joke you are.
Ah Texans... lol. I've lived all over the country and Texas is the only place where the people's egos are in constant need of stroking. I've bedded my share of Texans and I can, without any hesitancy, declare not everything is bigger there. If you enjoy generic culture, 1950's attitudes on race, beef and Aquanet hairdos, Dallas is your place.

I guess that is one of the things I like most about Atlanta. Atlantans don't purport to be anything other than proud of their city without feeling the need to put others down. People here are hustling with their eyes on the prize and not what other places are doing/not doing. I have no allegiance to any one city bc I rarely stay in any one place long enough to feel native. But Texans will be Texans and like all insecure men, it's best to just roll your eyes and tell them they are the best and biggest there is. When they call again, just let it go to voicemail.

Atlanta has a lot more going on that contributes to the culture of the entire world. If it wasn't such a big deal, other people from big Clevelands wouldn't feel the need to rip on it. Atlanta doesn't need to compare itself to anywhere else. It has made a name synonymous with civil rights, enertainment and pop culture that does not need clarification.

Incidentally, I work with someone daily from NYC. The flood of people coming from there to Atlanta has caught her attention, eliciting comments about NY being a "real city" in contrast. I take it more as a compliment and confirmation that the waves being made here are rippling through even the biggest ponds.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 09-07-2021 at 04:37 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 03:51 PM

254 posts, read 131,405 times
Quote:
FACTS, something the minions of Peachtree don't like to hear. I put things in writing with points of reference. So little I see from the other side smh
You are correct. Dallas is the biggest and best there is. And by extension, your city's reputation does indeed mean you too are the biggest and best. It definitely does not speak to your own feelings of inadequacy. If Dallas is revered and respected, so are you. Everyone knows success means listing the right location on your change of address form with the post office. All hail Dallas, Texas...

For the last time, your 10 gallon hat and baseball sized belt buckle look perfectly normal in 2021. I appreciate the five pound steak dinner but I have an early morning meeting and need to get to bed. On your way out, please lock the bottom lock. Thanks.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 09-07-2021 at 05:18 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 05:00 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRising View Post
You are correct. Dallas is the biggest and best there is. And by extension, your city's reputation does indeed mean you too are the biggest and best. It definitely does not speak to your own feelings of inadequacy. If Dallas is revered and respected, so are you. Everyone knows success means listing the right location on your change of address form with the post office. All hail Dallas...

For the last time, your 10 gallon hat looks perfectly normal in 2021. I appreciate the five pound steak dinner but I have an early morning meeting and need to get to bed. On your way out, please lock the bottom lock. Thanks.

I believe when the natural setting of your city looks like this, it gives one time to reflect on things beyond how many F500 companies you have over another city and how grateful you are the place you live developed within an area with such beautiful natural topography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A7GZ6dLUuo

Old 09-07-2021, 07:35 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Well, the reality of today is that with the internet and evolved logistics no one city is as crucial as in the past.

Atlanta once was the de-facto city for every company that did business in the Southeastern states and needed a regional headquarters.

But today with the other prospering metros all around the Southeast region, there isn't much you cannot have access to in, say, Greenville SC that you can have in Atlanta.

Your analogy of Charlotte and Nashville to Philly and Boston is spot on in subjective terms in people's minds as they see skylines etc., but it's not based on anything real or tangible as far as expertise, or products or cultural experiences.

But it does underscore the profound way in which people perceive the might of cities ascertained from their downtown skylines.
Yeah you can find similar things but on a smaller scale. Usually the bigger city is going to have advantage in most things and amenities over the smaller city. So if look at shopping, Dinning, music, Sports, Arts, Conventions, landmark/historic sites, Educations. What your seeing is smaller cities may specialize and punch above it's weight in specific area. But generally the bigger city is going have more of most things. The Superbowl or wrestlemania isn't going to Greenville for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Atlanta is kind of like NYC in the southeast, Charlotte like Philly, and Nashville like Boston. Both Philly and Boston are important but they're not NYC.
This pretty shot on, it isn't that Charlotte, Nashville and etc aren't major cities they clear are. It's Atlanta simply is in higher tier overall. Charlotte, and Nashville don't have to be on Atlanta level to be competitive thriving cities.

Just as Boston, and Philly are clearly even bigger major cities but NY is still on another tier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You're a liar, it's a waste of time to respond to you because you just spew out even more lies. You regularly move the goalposts in the middle of threads, dig up outdated links with totally inaccurate data and then top it all off with more LIES.

When are you going to comprehend that you have zero credibility here? Everyone considers you to be a pathological liar and a total laughingstock, every time you post here just makes you look more pathetic. Take your lies elsewhere Texasranger, you're just embarrassing yourself at this point.
Because he generally has no angle with his post over then he clearly hates Atlanta and if you disagree with him or her your Atlanta booster apparently. Mean while he's in the Atlanta sub so I know what he or she trying to accomplish other then Trolling.

Using ShenardL analogy walker posts are like if Philly and Boston got a new HQ or something he or she would try to argue they are on NY level or that NY fell off.

Now walker is talking about DFW in Atlanta sub, continuing with the Analogy is like talking about London or Tokyo to jump on NY.

But don't fall for Walker to trying start a flame war with Texas, There literally no point this not even city vs city sub. He or she in the ATL sub People in Texas is going like Texas more people in Georgia is going to like Atlanta. Going into the Atlanta sub and trying argue with the Atlanta sub posters over how he doesn't like Atlanta is trolling.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:20 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
My goodness. Well, I see not much in here has changed in three years….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta