Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 06:37 AM

1,150 posts, read 614,660 times

Advertisements

The car owner, who went out to stop the break-in and ultimately shot one of the teens after a scuffle, rightly was NOT charged.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...J5B3QL4RR3Y2M/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 07:23 AM

712 posts, read 682,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
The car owner, who went out to stop the break-in and ultimately shot one of the teens after a scuffle, rightly was NOT charged.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...J5B3QL4RR3Y2M/
I still haven't seen any accounts that explain how the shooting happened to determine whether the shooting was justified or not. If the shooter approached the teens and threatened them with a gun before they acted similarly, then it may not be self-defense. Personally, there's nothing I find worth shooting someone over, so it's just best to let it go and call Geico.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:37 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
I still haven't seen any accounts that explain how the shooting happened to determine whether the shooting was justified or not. If the shooter approached the teens and threatened them with a gun before they acted similarly, then it may not be self-defense. Personally, there's nothing I find worth shooting someone over, so it's just best to let it go and call Geico.

Apparently there was a physical struggle before anyone was shot. That is what local news said this morning. Not sure how accurate that information is. They also said they have video footage of whole incident from security cameras in parking lot.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
He approached the teens who were breaking in to his car, they attacked him, he felt like his life was in danger and he shot a killed the 19 yo. The 17 yo, also was shot in the wrist and also had a gun. Justified.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Apparently there was a physical struggle before anyone was shot. That is what local news said this morning. Not sure how accurate that information is. They also said they have video footage of whole incident from security cameras in parking lot.
Correct.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Conversely, the criminals must have felt that there was something in that car worth getting shot over.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:48 AM

712 posts, read 682,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
He approached the teens who were breaking in to his car, they attacked him, he felt like his life was in danger and he shot a killed the 19 yo. The 17 yo, also was shot in the wrist and also had a gun. Justified.
If that's an accurate second-by-second account of what happened, then I'm cool with it. Maybe if these kids now see that there's a deadly consequence to their actions they'll stop this nonsense. We desperately need more interventions in schools and neighborhoods where these kids come from to have a more lasting change, and Buckhead secessionists fail to see that more effort should be put into those solutions than what they're doing with this cityhood movement. I don't really think this is about crime or potholes for the organizers of the movement, anyway. It's a state and national politics play for them.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
If that's an accurate second-by-second account of what happened, then I'm cool with it. Maybe if these kids now see that there's a deadly consequence to their actions they'll stop this nonsense. We desperately need more interventions in schools and neighborhoods where these kids come from to have a more lasting change, and Buckhead secessionists fail to see that more effort should be put into those solutions than what they're doing with this cityhood movement. I don't really think this is about crime or potholes for the organizers of the movement, anyway. It's a state and national politics play for them.
Good luck with that.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:39 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,489,724 times
It’s very sad and very unfortunate that one of the teenage thieves involved in this incident was shot and killed by the owner of the vehicle that they were illegally breaking into.

But that is what can happen when someone makes a choice to engage in acts of crime.

When one chooses to engage in acts of crime, they are also choosing to accept the risk that they could not only be arrested, charged, prosecuted and serve a long prison sentence, but also could be physically harmed (beaten, stabbed, shot and/or killed) by someone else understandably (and often lawfully) reacting in an attempt to stop their unlawful acts of crime.

In this case, a 19-year-old and a 17-year-old were caught breaking into a car by the owner of the car and started shooting at the owner of car when he presumably told them to stop.

So the outcome of their decision to break into a car that is not theirs (with one of the thieves dead and the other on his way to jail on murder charges after he gets out of the hospital after being shot by the owner of the car) should come as no surprise to no one, including the thieves themselves.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:59 PM

1,212 posts, read 732,456 times
Wow, I usually stay closer to the national and international news.

But the burglar that fired shots is now responsible for the death of the burglar shoot by the vehicle owner ? I understand but the charge would work better if the burglar shot the very first shots.

So I'm working on lyrics for a rap song. Basically, the Crim(inal) must not carry a gun, must not argue with other Crims, and must be fast on their feet when they see a citizen approaching. Well, the citizen has a mobile phone and therefor the Crim must get goin'. Music by you-won't-believe-it.

Also, the Crim can't carry 'cause that's extra charges. The Crim must have a wide-eyed partner-Crim. The Crim needs a fence that pays a few bucks forward. Crims must not argue with other Crims. If the cops show-up the Crim was just looking for a bus stop.

The Crim needs the money to play the city games. The Crim needs the money to hang-out. The Crim doesn't need time-on-the-block but can read about it.

Last edited by T Block; 09-13-2021 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: