Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 02:23 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times

Advertisements

I would go with Douglasville.

It has all of the amenities you listed, it has a majority black population and it's also one of the slowest growing parts of Metro Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 02:25 PM

113 posts, read 92,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
South Forsyth County, (only city in county is Cumming, so most folks think of entire county as "Cumming"), Exits 13 and 14 off of Georgia State Highway 400, (GA 400), might give you what you want. Housing wise for sure . South Forsyth is significantly different than North Forsyth - demographically speaking, population density, conveniences, housing pricing. Southern part is more diverse, South and East Asian, Black, Hispanic. Still the county is predominantly white.

The attached might help you understand my comments a bit better. Early 1990s, population was ~25,000, mainly rural. Today, population is ~237,000 and slated to hit 400s by 2040. County was recently recognized as highest median income in the state, right around 100K.

https://www.zipdatamaps.com/30041

Happy next.
Earthlyfather, thank you for responding. Due to it's history and demographics, I would have never considered Forsyth County. I just went on the NICHE website and it appears that it is becoming more diverse. I will read up on South Forsyth. Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Each of the suburban communities you named basically have been overcome and subsumed by Atlanta's notable "sprawling" heavy metropolitan development patterns.

Douglasville and Covington are probably the least affected by Atlanta's sprawling metropolitan development patterns, relative to the other 7 suburban communities you named, which have all just been completely subsumed and consumed by Atlanta's notably heavy suburban metropolitan sprawl.

But Douglasville has still been overwhelmed and subsumed by Atlanta's heavy suburban metropolitan development patterns.

Covington has been the least affected by and still sits out on the very eastern edge of Atlanta's heavy suburban metropolitan development patterns.

But Covington has still been dramatically and overwhelmingly affected by Atlanta's heavy suburban metropolitan development patterns, with the area continuing to be built up with residential and (particularly) industrial development.

You also should not be even the least bit afraid of moving to an outer-suburban community like Covington.

Any reported KKK activity that has happened in Covington has been minimal at best and still has not stopped Covington and Newton County (where Covington is located and is the seat of county government) from quickly transitioning into jurisdictions where racial and ethnic minorities make up a significant and growing majority of the population.

(Racial and ethnic minorities made up about 56% of the population of Covington proper and about 55% of the population of Newton County as of 2018... That is compared to 30 years ago, when racial and ethnic minorities only made up about just over 23% of Newton County's population in 1990.)

With the exception of Roswell (where racial and ethnic minorities still make up about 36% of the population), all of the suburban communities you named are areas where racial and ethnic minorities make up significant and growing majorities of the population.
Born 2 Roll, I appreciate your comprehensive and enlightening response. I didn't realize there was so much expansion. With that rate of development, crime will inevitably rise throughout all the cities soon. I'm not a stranger to crime, I reside in NYC; but, I was hoping for a better quality of life in Georgia. Do you recommend any other cities that I may have overlooked?

Old 02-23-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I’d say Roswell. $450k might get you a pool, but it won’t be in the upper echelon communities for sure. Over all, Roswell is nice and quite diverse. Good luck.
Isawooty, thank you! I will check out Roswell again. Do you recommend any other cities that I may have overlooked?

Old 02-23-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I would go with Douglasville.

It has all of the amenities you listed, it has a majority black population and it's also one of the slowest growing parts of Metro Atlanta.
Thank you Citidata18! I am looking for more of a mixed population. I really didn't want any population to be dominant. However, I suppose that may just be wishful thinking and improbable. I do like the fact that it is growing at a slower pace, and has good access to Atlanta, the airport, and activities/events. So, it is still on the list. Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:49 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTS View Post
Hi all. I would really appreciate your input. My husband and I are retiring next year and relocating to Georgia. We are willing to pay up to $350,000 for a home without a pool and $450,000 for a home with a pool. We'd like a lot size of at least half an acre. We are empty nesters, so commute and schools aren't really a concern. (Although, I realize that the better schools are in the better cities.) I have two inquiries.

1. I would like recommendations for cities/towns that are not only considered safer, but will more than likely remain relatively safe. I know that the suburbs are becoming more convenient with proximity to restaurants, shopping, etc.; however, with these new developments comes more residents and crime. I'm interested in suburbs that have not been overcome with sprawl or won't likely be.

2. I've done a lot of online research on race relations, but getting direct feedback from you will be more helpful. We are an active African American couple (53 and 57) seeking a diverse area. We don't want to be the only Black folks in the grocery store or Target; but on the other hand, we'd like our neighbors/city to be a mix so as to interact with people from all cultures and ethnicities. Living in another state, we are unfamiliar with so much about Atlanta 'burbs and their vibes/functioning. We have visited many times, but that is a different experience than becoming a resident. We do not want to have to move twice because we inadvertently moved into a suburb/exurb that doesn't welcome Blacks. We just want to reside in a peaceful and comfortable location free of tension and discord. I know that there will always be prejudices and biases that we all will face unfortunately, but I don't want to have to face that regularly around my chosen home/city.

I have narrowed the options to Douglasville, Lawrenceville, Lilburn, and Snellville. I also have interest in Duluth, Roswell, Marietta, and Smyrna; however, they are probably outside of my budget. I considered Covington until I learned that the KKK has a movement there. Making a decision based on just online research and visits is insufficient and challenging. I would value feedback based on your observations and experiences. Please let me know if the options that I have chosen are appropriate contenders and please share other options that I should consider. Thank you in advance for your time and responses.
Since Lilburn is on your list, and you don’t need schools. Maybe look at Smokerise (Stone Mountain mailing address-but part of the City of Tucker, I think)—just west of Lilburn. The schools aren’t as good, but the area was pretty grand in the 70-90s, and is still very nice, and my guess is that it’s is pretty safe (it is mostly surrounded by Lilburn and Tucker—there are nearby areas in Stone Mountain to the south aren’t recommended ,but, really the area is pretty insulated from those parts (78 is a pretty big barrier).. Some homes are probably still lost in the 1970s, but many are renovated. Most lots are probably at least a half acre. Some may be too much house for just two folks, but there are some very nice single level homes as well. Given the wealth of the area (especially at its height) I am sure quite a few have pools. And it also has a country club. Most of your shopping and dining will be in nearby Tucker or Decatur—it has great access to 78 and 285. And, diversity at the Targets won’t be a problem! If it is still as affordable as it is now when I retire—it definitely will be on my list.

Last edited by jeoff; 02-23-2020 at 03:24 PM..

Old 02-23-2020, 03:48 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
I'll encourage you to set aside history. There is a reason I pointed out the population change. A tenfold growth means a tenfold change. You decision though.

Quote:
Earthlyfather, thank you for responding. Due to it's history and demographics, I would have never considered Forsyth County. I just went on the NICHE website and it appears that it is becoming more diverse. I will read up on South Forsyth. Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Since Lilburn is on your list, and you don’t need schools. Maybe look at Smokerise (Stone Mountain mailing address-but part of the City of Tucker, I think)—just west of Lilburn. The schools aren’t as good, but the area was pretty grand in the 70-90s, and is still very nice, and my guess is that it’s is pretty safe (it is mostly surrounded by Lilburn and Tucker—there are nearby areas in Stone Mountain to the south aren’t recommended ,but, really the area is pretty insulated from those parts (78 is a pretty big barrier).. Some homes are probably still lost in the 1970s, but many are renovated. Most lots are probably at least a half acre. Some may be too much house for just two folks, but there are some very nice single level homes as well. Given the wealth of the area (especially at its height) I am sure quite a few have pools. And it also has a country club. Most of your shopping and dining will be in nearby Tucker or Decatur—it has great access to 78 and 285. And, diversity at the Targets won’t be a problem! If it is still as affordable as it is now when I retire—it definitely will be on my list.
Thank you for your feedback, Jeoff.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I'll encourage you to set aside history. There is a reason I pointed out the population change. A tenfold growth means a tenfold change. You decision though.
Will do, I'm open-minded.

Old 02-23-2020, 04:09 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Quote:
Thank you for your feedback, Jeoff.

I love Smoke Rise.

Smoke Rise, GA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_Rise,_Georgia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta