Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:12 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times

Advertisements

We sold our house here in Huntsville in three days and will probably close on May 9th. (Yeah, my head is spinning. We're looking at a couple of houses in Browning Chase subdivision. It's zoned to Brockett Elementary, which we understand to be a good school.

This is going to sound crazy, but they're both newer homes (1996) and I'm concerned about workmanship on new homes. Anyone know anything about Browning Chase. My husband did a drive-through and said that it's a nice neighborhood, but the adjacent one isn't so nice. What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 06:57 PM

67 posts, read 237,295 times
I don't know about the workmanship of those specific houses but if you hire a good home inspector, they should be able to determine what kind of shape the house is in and if you have a good realtor they will include a due dilligence time period in your contract so if you change your mind after having your home inspection then you can terminate the contract and get your earnest money reimbursed. Tucker is a great area (I grew up there so I may be a little biased!) but there is a mixture of newer and older homes/neighborhoods but I think you find that in most areas around Atlanta. I have several friends who still live there and love it, it has a great small town feel

There are also plans to redevelop the downtown area to include restaurants and retail which I think will help property values, especially around the Main St. area. See Tucker LCI Study for more information on the redevelopment.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:03 PM

We're also looking at homes in the Lake Ivanhoe subdivision, so any feedback there would be helpful as well.

Thanks Moriah, I'm very excited about the revitalization plans as we'll probably be in Tucker for a while. I prefer small towns, so it's good to know Tucker has a small-town feel.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:24 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Here's more information: Browning Chase Tucker, GA (http://www.browningchase.org/index.html - broken link)

Here are the covenants (http://www.blackbeardesign.com/bc/minutes/covenants_and_bylaws.pdf - broken link)

Ask the HOA members who the builder was. Once you know that, let me know who it is and I can probably give you some insight about the builder. I deal with new home quite often.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:53 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morriah View Post
There are also plans to redevelop the downtown area to include restaurants and retail which I think will help property values, especially around the Main St. area. See Tucker LCI Study for more information on the redevelopment.
The picture that they're using on the website is actually of a street in Decatur

Old 04-12-2008, 01:28 PM

Yes, they are using the same company that designed downtown Decatur to re-do Tucker so it will have a similar look.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:53 PM

[quote=RoslynHolcomb;3438451]We're also looking at homes in the Lake Ivanhoe subdivision, so any feedback there would be helpful as well.

Lake Ivanhoe is in the Livsey School district which has a higher rating than Brockett on GreatSchools.net plus it has a lake and golf course so I think the re-sale value is better but the homes are older and may need more updating. So I guess it'll depend if you are willing to do some updating yourself... it would probably be worth it in the long run!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:19 PM

Yeah, I think we'll probably go more the Browning Chase route. There's one in Lake Ivanhoe I'd love to get my hands on. One-owner, estate owned, basement, with a lake view. But it looks like no one has touched it since it was built in 1960. We'd have to do a total remod on the kitchen, and we're just not liquid enough at the moment to drop $40k in just the kitchen. All the carpet would have to come out as well.

The homes in Browning Chase are more updated, of course and move-in ready. There's on in Lake Ivanhoe that is, too. But we'll have to wait until we see it to be sure.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:24 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morriah View Post
Yes, they are using the same company that designed downtown Decatur to re-do Tucker so it will have a similar look.
Just curious, how do you know that? To my knowledge, nobody has been hired to do anything yet, other than create studies and set design/material standards (which were recently approved/adopted by the county).

Browning Chase...what main road is that off of? I live in Tucker in the Brockett district, but I can't picture where that is. The website has no information regarding location.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:30 AM

[quote=JPD;3453386]Just curious, how do you know that? To my knowledge, nobody has been hired to do anything yet, other than create studies and set design/material standards (which were recently approved/adopted by the county).

I read it somewhere in the documents on the website that the environmental design company Ecos, who are conducting the LCI study and have submitted the preliminary concept plan along with several other consultants that are listed under the "contacts" section of the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta