Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 01:11 PM

11,754 posts, read 7,957,744 times

Advertisements

^^^
Is there any chance the HRT coming to past? It looks like it is going to share RoW with I-20 all the way to Stonecrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 01:27 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,125,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
^^^
Is there any chance the HRT coming to past? It looks like it is going to share RoW with I-20 all the way to Stonecrest.
Pretty sure they will want another 1% on what we are already paying to make that happen
. Not sure too many will want a 9% sales tax.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Pretty sure they will want another 1% on what we are already paying to make that happen
. Not sure too many will want a 9% sales tax.
In your opinion, if all counties agreed to a 9% sales tax for better mobility, fuel mileage savings, and a easier commute - wouldn't it be worth it?

I'd pay it... I currently pay over $40 per week in tolls just to skip surface traffic...there's just some things worth paying for to me.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:18 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,831,132 times
Quote:
^^^
Honestly I do not think I-20 HRT will happen. It's just too expensive and will eat up all the sales tax revenue. That is exactly why proponents (and leaders of Fulton County) of HB 930 (which created The ATL) wrote in language that forbid additional sales tax revenue from funding HRT projects in Fulton County.
Which is why I think GDOT, ATL, SRTA, and DeKalb County are making a HUGE mistake not to include BRT, in-line stations in the I-285 East Express Lane project.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:08 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,349,729 times
Quote:
In your opinion, if all counties agreed to a 9% sales tax for better mobility, fuel mileage savings, and a easier commute - wouldn't it be worth it?
That's just the thing...we've already had a 1.5% tax added for transit, and have seen very little actually result from it. I'm not exactly willing to give up even more for the idea that maybe something could happen.

I'd like to see other counties join in, but my main preference is to see something actually happen.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
That's just the thing...we've already had a 1.5% tax added for transit, and have seen very little actually result from it. I'm not exactly willing to give up even more for the idea that maybe something could happen.

I'd like to see other counties join in, but my main preference is to see something actually happen.
Wasn't that only employed in Fulton County though? If so then wouldn't one agree that Fulton specifically (around Atlanta atleast) did a fare share of transit upgrades?

Old 07-04-2019, 06:59 PM

3,660 posts, read 3,928,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Corridors like Buford Hwy and Memorial Dr have some of the highest rates of pedestrians deaths. Increasing vehicle speeds will only lead to more pedestrian deaths. Instead we should remove 1 lane in each direction and created dedicated BRT lanes, exactly what is proposed in DeKalb County Transit Master Plan.

If the parallel freeways have a catastrophe (I-85 bridge collapse) those lanes can be used by general vehicles.
If BRTs are self-driving, go very fast with few stops on physically separated lanes, then that's a step in the right direction..

When the highway patrol shuts down the entire interstate for hours to investigate fatal crashes, 1/4 of the metro's mobility and residents shouldn't grind to a complete halt.

But the region as a whole is limited to just the freeways, not enough for adequately traversing the entire metro adding 100+ new residents per day.

Busses will be using these express lanes significantly, so that should be you somewhat happy.

There's no need to keep debating how many lane-miles are adequate or appropriate for a given population, when I'm sure it has been determined by civil engineers many times before.

You would love the NJ Transit's gargantuan and perfectly choreographed bus service serving Manhattan' port Authority Bus Terminal. I can't find the numbers but at least 60,000 to 200,000 people rely on it for their commutes.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:41 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,028,878 times
We're all tapped out on roads. Seriously. I know that Atlanta doesn't have the population density of a large NE city, but it certainly has the raw numbers of commuters and commute time. Its an investment that the city doesn't want to make perhaps because it wouldn't line anyone's pocket locally.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:20 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,700,004 times
https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...director-says/

It just be easier at this point to try and pass an amendment to the gas tax to include transit as well. This hodgepodge of funding is utterly stupid at this point.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:28 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,349,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It just be easier at this point to try and pass an amendment to the gas tax to include transit as well. This hodgepodge of funding is utterly stupid at this point.
What about adding a $1.50 fee to every transit ride to help fund more transit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta