U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2020, 07:21 PM

7,109 posts, read 4,399,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Our feds are probably more ballooned in that circus they created in DC and federal infrastructure is probably the last thing on their mind at this point

The future of maintaining and even governing (non tolled) infrastructure is actually going to be pretty scary going forward.

Unfortunately very true.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 07:33 PM

5,871 posts, read 4,302,188 times
Quote:
If Im not mistaken they can actually lose federal funding over that section of I-20 over something like that if it were to come in the light of the Federal Highway Administration. It would be reduced to a state highway due to non-compliance of the Interstate Highway Act

It probably violates MUTCD, but that's an easy fix (all GDOT needs to do is slap a "1" on the latter sign).

Old 02-06-2020, 07:44 PM

5,386 posts, read 2,137,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
It probably violates MUTCD, but that's an easy fix (all GDOT needs to do is slap a "1" on the latter sign).
One thing I will agree with architect77 on is the overhead signs on P.I.B between I-285 and Holcomb Bridge could use a bit of refreshing. Do you think that may ever come to past?

Old 02-07-2020, 12:04 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,672,440 times
Quote:
One thing I will agree with architect77 on is the overhead signs on P.I.B between I-285 and Holcomb Bridge could use a bit of refreshing. Do you think that may ever come to past?
I haven't been up there to check, but that means that the broken, half-missing 25 yr old. overhead signs on the access roads haven't been replaced from my multiple requests 5 years ago when I did succeed in getting them to replace the ones on I-85 access roads.

But it's because this area is latino-populated that GDOT doesn't spend on maintenance. If you don't believe me go and drive through other latino areas like Shallowford, Chamblee-Dunwoody and Jimmy Carter Blvd.

Faded overhead street names and highway shield signs look so old they're using former shield shapes from 50 years ago.

And a highway division office is very close to Ptree Ind. Blvd. so there's no excuse.

They're so stupid to think that the state isn't judged as a whole, no visitors think that certain parts of the metro area would maintain their own state roads. So Californian and Texas drivers are greeted to Georgia and the metro on I-20 West which is dangerously cramped and has shoulders and ramps covered in trash.

Georgia DOT operates as an insular operation. They have no idea how much worse they do things compared to almost all other states.

I drove to Lake Lanier yesterday and returned on I-85 South.

It's atrocious how they've got 30 or more overhead full-span trusses, none of which are visually level holding up one sign each.

There are so many of these ugly structures that you could almost hang a catenary and run trains or electric vehicles up under them.

I cannot believe how ugly they've made our freeways by erecting so many of these things, or how clueless they are to what they've done, not to mention wasteful as these trusses spanning America's widest freeways cost 2-3 times more that the proper single pole support the entire rest of the world uses.

I don't if I can spend the rest of my days in a state so oblivious to aesthetic beauty of the landscape.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I don't if I can spend the rest of my days in a state so oblivious to aesthetic beauty of the landscape.
Yet, you have no problem with state DOTs evicting homeowners to further expand/build new roads (which causes damage to the aesthetic beauty of the immediate areas).

Old 02-07-2020, 04:11 PM

DOT's highway signs aren't -terrible- ...although some do seem a bit negligent, but I like the updated new colorful traffic advisory signs they have.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:15 PM

6,695 posts, read 6,308,107 times
Default Doraville business owners surprised that I-285 toll lanes project could demolish their buildings

Doraville business owners surprised that I-285 toll lanes project could demolish their buildings

From Reporter Newspapers:
Quote:
Some Doraville business owners are expressing surprise at the Georgia Department of Transportation’s proposals to demolish their buildings for its I-285 toll lanes project – which also would add even more noodles of lanes to Spaghetti Junction.

However, Mayor Joseph Geierman – who once signed a petition against the toll lanes — said the conceptual plan revealed by GDOT last month is not as bad he feared and likely will be “refined” with community input.
In Doraville, business owners surprised toll lanes project could demolish their buildings (Reporter Newspapers)

Old 02-08-2020, 09:28 AM

Oh my goodness. Did anyone see this?

That's literally a double stack interchange.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Doraville business owners surprised that I-285 toll lanes project could demolish their buildings

From Reporter Newspapers:

In Doraville, business owners surprised toll lanes project could demolish their buildings (Reporter Newspapers)

I hope this continues to snowball for everyone that owns property along these corridors, and that they get mad. It should be made clear that these business owners and homeowners lives and livelihoods are being disrupted so that some yokel can save 5 minutes on their 30-mile commute.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:34 AM

5,845 posts, read 4,785,112 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness. Did anyone see this?

That's literally a double stack interchange.
I mentioned that in the second post.

This plan for Spaghetti Junction is problematic, to say the least. Already that interchange feels dated, especially the 285E-to-85N ramp, which is jammed every afternoon because of the volume of traffic that is funneled onto I-85 and that sinewy ramp. These new flyovers are going to make future reconstruction that much more difficult.

There is some good coming out of this project however. Check out the PIB/285 interchange, which is getting some improvements on the northeast side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or