Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 03:16 PM

14 posts, read 13,619 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking to buy a single family home in the next 90 days. Looking for a 3/2. Our budget is $400k. We don't have a kid but are planning to have one soon.

Things that we want in our neighborhood (willing to compromise on a few):
1. Art and entertainment options (music, theater, museums etc.)
2. Diversity
3. Greenery/old neighborhood feel
4. Good and diverse food scene

Things that we want in a house:
1. Larger square footage ( 1500sq. ft+)
2. Nice kitchen
3. Large living room since we have people over often
4. Backyard/privacy

Things we definitely need:
1. Peaceful area away from traffic
2. Safe

Our realtor has been showing us houses in the Suwannee and Johns Creek areas but we don't really like the feel of those places.
I work/live in the perimeter area (but don't like it here) and have a flexible schedule so can schedule my day to avoid rush our (start at 7:00 am and leave at 3:00).

What are areas we should be looking at? I really like the Piedmont park/virginia highlands/oakhurst areas but I can't afford houses there. People have been suggesting Marietta/Vinings and Smyrna but I've never been there and don't know what those areas are like? Any insights into those areas would be helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 05:40 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Did you check out Peachtree Corners? You may also try Chamblee, or Brookhaven if you get really lucky on price (and can afford private school).

I don't know much about Cobb county either, except that I don't like it.... But maybe you would.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:53 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
Smyrna is a definite option for you - it is very popular with 30 somethings. In that price range you can find SF homes but they sell quickly so you just have to keep looking. Most new construction in that price range are townhomes which does not fit your greenery/old neighborhood feel.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:14 PM

356 posts, read 316,870 times
Maybe Roswell? Canton street has a bit of a VaHi vibe.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:40 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,989 times
Marietta Square would be good option for you. Two independent theaters and an art museum plus multiple galleries. It's plenty diverse. It has an old neighborhood feel - something like a blend of Mayberry and Stars Hollow. Very good food scene, with the #7 best new restaurant in America, per Bon Appétit magazine, several other very good choices and a new food hall. It's fairly diverse and quite walkable, with neighborhoods of older homes with new ones mixed in, and plenty of trees.

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-30-2019, 06:32 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Sounds like Chamblee or Doraville would be a good fit for you. Also maybe Brookhaven or Dunwoody or Sandy Springs.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:37 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Marietta Square would be good option for you. Two independent theaters and an art museum plus multiple galleries. It's plenty diverse. It has an old neighborhood feel - something like a blend of Mayberry and Stars Hollow. Very good food scene, with the #7 best new restaurant in America, per Bon Appétit magazine, several other very good choices and a new food hall. It's fairly diverse and quite walkable, with neighborhoods of older homes with new ones mixed in, and plenty of trees.

Good luck in your search!
I agree that Marietta is good for young 30's families. It's good because:
It's a complete city with its own theaters, farmers market, events, food Hall, etc.
It's affordable
Has hwy 75 access.

It's a bit more youthful than the East Cobb/John's Creek/roswells of the world (which have better schools). Note there are a few blighted pockets, so don't be alarmed like I was the first time I set foot in Marietta, they are few in reality.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:20 PM

14 posts, read 13,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Did you check out Peachtree Corners? You may also try Chamblee, or Brookhaven if you get really lucky on price (and can afford private school).

I don't know much about Cobb county either, except that I don't like it.... But maybe you would.
I used to work near the Forum and didn't like Peachtree Corners. Was looking in Chamblee and Brookhaven but most houses listed right now are pretty expensive and I'm not one for private school.

I don't know much about Cobb county, but I'm driving down there in a bit and going to drive around and grab dinner there so I can kinda get an idea of what the place is like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like Chamblee or Doraville would be a good fit for you. Also maybe Brookhaven or Dunwoody or Sandy Springs.
We have been looking in Dunwoody/Chamblee/Brookhaven, prices in those areas are high and there aren't many houses in our price range. I hate the vibe of the Sandy Springs area so not even looking there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude404;
If you're lucky you might be able to find what you are looking for in Ormewood Park. Your drive to work would suck, but then you wouldnt have to live in Suwanee or in Smyrna. There is MARTA nearby, but you'd have to drive to it. Lots of trees, you'd be near the Beltline. Plenty of these houses have nice backyards. The neighborhood has virtually no traffic, yet it is close to I20. If I were you I'd definitely take a look. There is never a large volume of homes for sale in this area, so you have to be patient.

Why the necessity to buy in the next 90 days? You realize this could very well be the peak of housing prices, right?
Lease ends and I don't want to renew again. I would look in October but we don't want to move twice. Ormewood Park like a lovely place. Any thoughts about Ormewood Heights? I see a couple of houses in our price range in that area.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:20 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
Quote:
I don't know much about Cobb county, but I'm driving down there in a bit and going to drive around and grab dinner there so I can kinda get an idea of what the place is like.
I would recommend you grab something to eat in Downtown Marietta (aka Marietta Square) and walk around that area. Then head down Atlanta Road about 5 miles and check out Downtown Smyrna (you can eat in that area as well).

Old 07-01-2019, 07:29 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Several options come to mind:

1. Lots of homes that size just east of Powers Ferry near SunTrust Park/The Battery in Marietta. Slightly older neighborhoods, lots of flips and renovations with up-to-date kitchens and great outdoor spaces.

2. Look in the areas in north Brookhaven/Chamblee, such as Keswick, and the neighborhoods west of Buford Highway between Drew Valley and Dresden. LOTS of neighborhoods with character there, with lots of flips and renovations.

3. West Dunwoody has a lot of established neighborhoods, too. Look up and down Tilly Mill Road/Peachtree Road/Happy Hollow north of 285, and a neighborhood called Lockridge Forest just off Winters Chapel Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta