Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:19 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Newnan High's population is not largely poor and rural.

And Newnan High is a fine high school.

http://cowetaschools.org/images/maps...NewnanHigh.pdf
The entire entrapment area you posted for Newnan High is exactly as I described, largely rural and poor. In fact, Historic Newnan in particular was deemed an Opportunity Zone under Trump's tax legislation because a significant portion (meaning above the national average) of the population is impoverished.

And while it may be a fine school, it simply isn't as highly regarded as Northgate. Newnan High's score is 5/10 while Northgate's score is 7/10.

Last edited by citidata18; 07-02-2019 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 08:38 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The entire entrapment area you posted for Newnan High is exactly as I described, largely rural and poor. In fact, Historic Newnan in particular was deemed an Opportunity Zone under Trump's tax legislation because a significant portion (meaning above the national average) of the population is impoverished.

And while it may be a fine school, it simply isn't as highly regarded as Northgate. Newnan High's score is 5/10 while Northgate's score is 7/10.
Coweta will continue to grow. The growth will be higher income than what was traditionally there. Norhtgat is rated higher than Newnan only because of the higher income demographic that it draws from. As the western part of Coweta will find the inevitable growth because of its location, the area will only improve, not fall behind.

The reason I mention it, is that this area is a MUCH easier commute to Carrollton.

I like Aries mention of all the Carroll County clusters. Carroll and Coweta have traditionally had well regarded school systems, even when the area was rural and little suburban growth at least when compared to other counties in west Georgia. Having a good state university in town always ups the local school systerm. I would look at Carrollton city schools, (or nearby Carroll county districts) and take advantage of opportunities that the University of West Georgia would give to a school student and be done with the search.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:44 AM

761 posts, read 907,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Coweta will continue to grow. The growth will be higher income than what was traditionally there. Norhtgat is rated higher than Newnan only because of the higher income demographic that it draws from. As the western part of Coweta will find the inevitable growth because of its location, the area will only improve, not fall behind.

The reason I mention it, is that this area is a MUCH easier commute to Carrollton.

I like Aries mention of all the Carroll County clusters. Carroll and Coweta have traditionally had well regarded school systems, even when the area was rural and little suburban growth at least when compared to other counties in west Georgia. Having a good state university in town always ups the local school systerm. I would look at Carrollton city schools, (or nearby Carroll county districts) and take advantage of opportunities that the University of West Georgia would give to a school student and be done with the search.
Newnan rates lower because it draws from some of the poorer neighborhoods in downtown and several apartments. In fact, downtown is split between Newnan and East Coweta. Northgate is mainly middle class neighborhoods with a few higher end neighborhoods like Arbor Springs, and no apartment complexes. It also doesn't have any of the kids from downtown Newnan. That's why it has half the number of free and reduced lunch kids than Newnan or East Coweta. I think it's around 23% at Northgate instead of nearly 50% at East Coweta and Newnan.

Newnan also draws from some of the wealthier neighborhoods too. Many parents in the Newnan Country Club and Lake Redwine send their kids to Newnan because they went there. I suspect when the 4th high school eventually opens on the Westside, Newnan will get even better because the poorer neighborhoods will be split between 3 schools instead of 2.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:47 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Newnan rates lower because it draws from some of the poorer neighborhoods in downtown. In fact, downtown is split between Newnan and East Coweta. Northgate is mainly middle class neighborhoods with a few higher end neighborhoods like Arbor Springs, but doesn't have any of the kids from downtown Newnan.

Newnan also draws from some of the wealthier neighborhoods too. Many parents in the Newnan Country Club and Lake Redwine send their kids to Newnan because they went there. I suspect when the 4th high school eventually opens on the Westside, Newnan will get even better because the poorer neighborhoods will be split between 3 schools instead of 2.
IMO, much of the growth is in/around Summergrove and around Senoia/Sharpsburg for now (and in the foreseeable future). It would make the most sense for the 4th high school to go up on that side of town, to relieve the overcrowding at East Coweta.

Or even better yet, Newnan should consider establishing its own district similar to Bremen and Marietta given the higher density residential growth it's seeing.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Newnan rates lower because it draws from some of the poorer neighborhoods in downtown. In fact, downtown is split between Newnan and East Coweta. Northgate is mainly middle class neighborhoods with a few higher end neighborhoods like Arbor Springs, but doesn't have any of the kids from downtown Newnan.

Troup County has done a similar zoning of its three high schools, gerrymandered (if it is ok to use such a term concerning schools) the boundary lines to balance wealthier and poorer areas of the county.

I'm thinking the next high school will still be along the 85 corridor, maybe even south of Newnan.... Moreland maybe even Grantville... as development will probably follow the interstate before it goes to the west side of the county.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Troup County has done a similar zoning of its three high schools, gerrymandered (if it is ok to use such a term concerning schools) the boundary lines to balance wealthier and poorer areas of the county.

I'm thinking the next high school will still be along the 85 corridor, maybe even south of Newnan.... Moreland maybe even Grantville... as development will probably follow the interstate before it goes to the west side of the county.
Coweta County was sued and forced to desegregate schools in the late 60's I believe. I think the schools were finally desegregated in 1970, the same year "Heritage" High School was founded. Part of that court order requires schools to remain racially balanced in Coweta, because many districts in the south gerrymandered the districts so that all the African American kids were zoned to one school and the remaining schools were overwhelming white. This was relatively easy to do in the 60s and 70's, because most of the African Americans in rural Georgia were concentrated in the same neighborhoods.

South/Middle Georgia Counties still try to do the same thing by creating City schools vs. County Schools. Most of the County Schools in Middle and South Georgia are majority white, while most city schools are majority black. As an example, Spalding County High vs. Griffin High, Valdosta High vs. Lowdnes, or Dublin vs. West Laurens.

Even to this day, any boundary changes the Coweta County School Board makes must be approved by the federal government. I wonder if the same thing applies to Troup County? Coweta petitioned the federal government to have this requirement eliminated because of the extra time, money, as well as the drastic changes in the past 50 years, but the Obama administration turned down the petition.

Last edited by PTC Dad; 07-04-2019 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-04-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Coweta County was sued and forced to desegregate schools in the late 60's I believe. I think the schools were finally desegregated in 1970, the same year "Heritage" High School was founded. Part of that court order requires schools to remain racially balanced in Coweta, because many districts in the south gerrymandered the districts so that all the African American kids were zoned to one school and the remaining schools were overwhelming white. This was relatively easy to do in the 60s and 70's, because most of the African Americans in rural Georgia were concentrated in the same neighborhoods.

South/Middle Georgia Counties still try to do the same thing by creating City schools vs. County Schools. Most of the County Schools in Middle and South Georgia are majority white, while most city schools are majority black. As an example, Spalding County High vs. Griffin High, Valdosta High vs. Lowdnes, or Dublin vs. West Laurens.

Even to this day, any boundary changes the Coweta County School Board makes must be approved by the federal government. I wonder if the same thing applies to Troup County? Coweta petitioned the federal government to have this requirement eliminated because of the extra time, money, as well as the drastic changes in the past 50 years, but the Obama administration turned down the petition.
This time line you mention needs a little tweaking. There was nothing unique to Coweta in the late 60s/early 70s that didn't happen state wide. Every system in the state was required to integrate. In most areas outside the burbs, this resulted in the closing (or repurposing) of the all black school and the former all white school became THE school for a community. Private schools all across the state opened in 1970, Heritage in Newnan was not unique.

At this same time and to combat further segregation, city systems were no longer able to be created in the state. No new city system has come on line since the 60s. City systems that were in existence at the time were grandfathered in, why you have city systems in a broad arena in the area.... from the small... Bremen and Buford and Decatur up to the large.... Marietta and Atlanta.

Segregation has happened in some of these communities because of already existing city and county systems. Since more AAs lived in the towns, whites started moving into the county. County schools in many of these towns are much more white than the city schools. Valdosta vs. Lowndes is a good example.

When I was coming along, Troup County held the honor of having the most school systems of any county in Georgia. LaGrange, West Point and Hogansville all had separate city systems from the county. West Point was the first to give up their city system and merge with the county, some time in the early 80s. Surprisingly the much larger LaGrange city system merged before Hogansville. The promise of the county to build a new county high school in Hogansville finally led Hogansville residents to vote to merge. Many have felt jilted as the county did build the new Callaway High School, and while it does have a Hogansville mailing address, it is closer to the LaGrange city limits than it is to Hogansville.

My understanding is that these city systems, once they have merged with the county, they cannot go back and charter their separate city systems ever again.

As far as current boundaries and them being federally mandated to take similar amounts of poor and wealthy, I don't know. Just thought it was a smart thing for the local school system to do. No system wants one of their schools to be lesser than the other, at least I would hope that is what local school boards would strive for.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:55 PM

I didn't realize Troup had so many different school systems.

Here's an article about the history of desegregation in Coweta. Apparently they tried to institute their own plan of school choice in 1966, but the federal gov't said it didn't go far enough. In August 1967, local schools were informed that their freedom of choice plan was not sufficient to put them in compliance with federal orders. In January 1968, the merger of the city and county schools was proposed. It required a constitutional amendment, which was voted on and approved the following November. Federal officials said that the merger alone could not be considered an adequate plan. In July of 1969, a U.S. district court ordered full desegregation. I don't think Coweta was fully desegregated until 1973.

Cowetans share perspectives of segregation in Coweta - The Newnan Times-Herald

Here's a good summary of the original case. Many of the systems that that face additional federal oversight are now majority or near majority African American, and have sued to get released from the federal order. Newton County was successful in 2009, but Coweta is still under the order. Coweta still requires residency affidavits every year and schools must be racially balanced due to this order.

https://www.clearinghouse.net/chDocs...-0004-0003.pdf

Last edited by PTC Dad; 07-04-2019 at 04:32 PM..

Old 07-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize Troup had so many different school systems.

Here's an article about the history of desegregation in Coweta. Apparently they tried to institute their own plan of school choice in 1966, but the federal gov't said it didn't go far enough. In August 1967, local schools were informed that their freedom of choice plan was not sufficient to put them in compliance with federal orders. In January 1968, the merger of the city and county schools was proposed. It required a constitutional amendment, which was voted on and approved the following November. Federal officials said that the merger alone could not be considered an adequate plan. In July of 1969, a U.S. district court ordered full desegregation. I don't think Coweta was fully desegregated until 1973.

Cowetans share perspectives of segregation in Coweta - The Newnan Times-Herald

Here's a good summary of the original case. Many of the systems that that face additional federal oversight are now majority or near majority African American, and have sued to get released from the federal order. Newton County was successful in 2009, but Coweta is still under the order. Coweta still requires residency affidavits every year and schools must be racially balanced due to this order.

https://www.clearinghouse.net/chDocs...-0004-0003.pdf
I am sure all Georgia schools faced similar lawsuits and systems offered their watered down versions in response. I am giving my age away but I started 1st grade in Griffin in 1967 and the school was totally white. My second grade year there were one or two black children in each class and we had a black art teacher. I am sure the powers that be at the time were saying, "look, we integrated!"

It wasn't until the fall of 1970 and my entrance into the fourth grade in Greenville, GA (we moved to the grandparent's property in Meriwether County in 1969) that full scale integration happened. And this happened state wide that year. All formerly all black schools were closed or re-purposed. In Greenville, the old all white 1-12 school became an all girls school, the old black school became an all boys school. This was the white patriarch's attempt tokeep their white daughters from black boys. This only lasted one year in Greenville and the former black school became the elementary and the former white school the middle and high school.

So many of my classmates left for Flint River Academy in Woodbury that year that my parents and other families in the far northwest corner of Meriwether got permission to attend the closer Hogansville city school system even tho it was across county lines. I remained in Hogansville schools until my graduation in 1979. Hogansville being a larger but more working class mill town did not have a private academy, there was little white flight from the system and most whites and blacks came together peacefully. The old white elementary became grades 1 to 4 and named Hogansville Primary. The old Westside school, the former all black school became grades 5-7 and renamed Hogansville Elementary. The 8th grade stayed in the old all white 7-8th grade building adjacent to the high school. The High school remained 9-12 but totally integrated.

This is what I saw happen as a child. Wasn't aware of all the legal things happening at the time but, yes, this happened statewide and was fully enforced in 1970.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I am sure all Georgia schools faced similar lawsuits and systems offered their watered down versions in response. I am giving my age away but I started 1st grade in Griffin in 1967 and the school was totally white. My second grade year there were one or two black children in each class and we had a black art teacher. I am sure the powers that be at the time were saying, "look, we integrated!"

It wasn't until the fall of 1970 and my entrance into the fourth grade in Greenville, GA (we moved to the grandparent's property in Meriwether County in 1969) that full scale integration happened. And this happened state wide that year. All formerly all black schools were closed or re-purposed. In Greenville, the old all white 1-12 school became an all girls school, the old black school became an all boys school. This was the white patriarch's attempt tokeep their white daughters from black boys. This only lasted one year in Greenville and the former black school became the elementary and the former white school the middle and high school.

So many of my classmates left for Flint River Academy in Woodbury that year that my parents and other families in the far northwest corner of Meriwether got permission to attend the closer Hogansville city school system even tho it was across county lines. I remained in Hogansville schools until my graduation in 1979. Hogansville being a larger but more working class mill town did not have a private academy, there was little white flight from the system and most whites and blacks came together peacefully. The old white elementary became grades 1 to 4 and named Hogansville Primary. The old Westside school, the former all black school became grades 5-7 and renamed Hogansville Elementary. The 8th grade stayed in the old all white 7-8th grade building adjacent to the high school. The High school remained 9-12 but totally integrated.

This is what I saw happen as a child. Wasn't aware of all the legal things happening at the time but, yes, this happened statewide and was fully enforced in 1970.
It sounds like you saw things change firsthand. I remember my uncles telling me when they attended school in Hapeville in the late 60's it was still segregated, and then when they moved to Clayton County in 1967 it was already desegregated.

In fact, in Forest Park, I believe the African American School was repurposed as an all 7th grade school and is now Fountain Elementary.

I guess because Clayton segregated earlier they were never under the court order. Fayette also isn't under the order, because there wasn't an African American population at that time. Also, I guess that's why Fayette isn't required to racially balance their schools like Coweta, and now both Sandy Creek and Fayette County High are majority African American, and the other 3 high schools are predominantly white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta