Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 06:26 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,743,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I-85 south is still a breeze for now. A ton of warehouses are in the pipeline along that coridor too, from Union City down to Newnan.

The only saving grace is that it doesn't get the tourst traffic I-75 does.

BTW, I think you're jumping the run with the Atlanta-Macon CSA talks. I refer to Cincinnati and Dayton as counter examples. They're way more closely tied than Atlanta and Macon yet the census still hasn't combined them into one CSA.
I don’t see a single CSA happening but I wouldn’t be surprised if Atlanta and Macon sprawl meet sometime soon. While most of Atlanta’s growth is to the north, Macon’s growth is to its north as well (there are lots of new developments in Northern Bibb). There is really little distance from Forsyth to Locust Grove as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 07:52 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
I-85 south is still a breeze for now. A ton of warehouses are in the pipeline along that coridor too, from Union City down to Newnan.

The only saving grace is that it doesn't get the tourst traffic I-75 does.

BTW, I think you're jumping the run with the Atlanta-Macon CSA talks. I refer to Cincinnati and Dayton as counter examples. They're way more closely tied than Atlanta and Macon yet the census still hasn't combined them into one CSA.
Lol, I hope Atlanta never merges with Macon or Columbus. It’s just too much. Could you really imagine the Atlanta-Athens-Rome-Toccoa-Macon-Columbus CSA? That don’t even sound real.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:04 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I don’t see a single CSA happening but I wouldn’t be surprised if Atlanta and Macon sprawl meet sometime soon. While most of Atlanta’s growth is to the north, Macon’s growth is to its north as well (there are lots of new developments in Northern Bibb). There is really little distance from Forsyth to Locust Grove as it is.
This is exactly what I was referring to when I made my comment. Once you start building in Butts County, you’re practically closing the gap between the two MSAs. I’m all for growth and development, but good Lord I don’t want to imagine I-75 with non-stop development from Perry to Atlanta with only 3 lanes. I-75 approaching and leaving Macon opens up to 5 lanes (I believe) in each direction and it instantly feels like freedom.... IMHO, it should be 4-5 lanes now from Lowndes on up. Those little 3-4ish lanes are just adequate for I-85 on the Southside.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:09 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Lol, I hope Atlanta never merges with Macon or Columbus. It’s just too much. Could you really imagine the Atlanta-Athens-Rome-Toccoa-Macon-Columbus CSA? That don’t even sound real.
Atlanta-Chattanooga will happen before Atlanta-Macon, let alone Atlanta-Columbus.

There's more development along I-75 north and around the exits between Cartersville and the TN border, while on I-85 south there's literally nothing past Newnan to Columbus (except for the Hogansville truck stop). Heck, between Lee County, AL's growth rate and Great Wolf Lodge/Kia in LaGrange, I'd even bet on Atlanta-Auburn happening before Atlanta-Columbus.

But that'll be probably way out into the future if it ever happens. I-85 south is by-far the slowest growing of the north-south corridors in Atlanta.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:54 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,648,695 times
Quote:
Atlanta-Chattanooga will happen before Atlanta-Macon, let alone Atlanta-Columbus.

There's more development along I-75 north and around the exits between Cartersville and the TN border, while on I-85 south there's literally nothing past Newnan to Columbus (except for the Hogansville truck stop). Heck, between Lee County, AL's growth rate and Great Wolf Lodge/Kia in LaGrange, I'd even bet on Atlanta-Auburn happening before Atlanta-Columbus.

But that'll be probably way out into the future if it ever happens. I-85 south is by-far the slowest growing of the north-south corridors in Atlanta.
The Atlanta metro and Columbus metro already touch so it’s way more likely they merge well before Auburn. Plus Auburn is a little further than Columbus. If Harris County gets their act together it will happen sooner than later. The new Newnan exit is set for explosive growth pushing development further down 85.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:43 AM

p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
The Atlanta metro and Columbus metro already touch so it’s way more likely they merge well before Auburn. Plus Auburn is a little further than Columbus. If Harris County gets their act together it will happen sooner than later. The new Newnan exit is set for explosive growth pushing development further down 85.
There's virtually 60 miles of nothing-ness from Smith Road on I-185 to Exit 41 on I-85, compared to the 30 miles distance from the Highway 16 exit on I-75 and the northrrn reaches of Macon's development.

With Columbus's population having been steady, the growth rate is really going to have to explode there before development even comes close to touching with Newnan's development any time soon.

And even Newnan isn't growing all that fast. 2018 was the first time Coweta County saw an estimated yearly increase in population over 2,000 since before the recession (compared to several years of estimated growth over 5,000 in Henry County) and its leaders (long time natives) are actually working overtime to find any way to further slow down and stop the growth right now, between making it harder for Newnan to annex land and applying zoning measures similar to Fayette County.

Last edited by citidata18; 07-03-2019 at 04:53 AM..

Old 07-03-2019, 05:32 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,648,695 times
Quote:
p

There's virtually 60 miles of nothing-ness from Smith Road on I-185 to Exit 41 on I-85, compared to the 30 miles distance from the Highway 16 exit on I-75 and the northrrn reaches of Macon's development.

With Columbus's population having been steady, the growth rate is really going to have to explode there before development even comes close to touching with Newnan's development any time soon.

And even Newnan isn't growing all that fast. 2018 was the first time Coweta County saw an estimated yearly increase in population over 2,000 since before the recession (compared to several years of estimated growth over 5,000 in Henry County) and its leaders (long time natives) are actually working overtime to find any way to further slow down and stop the growth right now, between making it harder for Newnan to annex land and applying zoning measures similar to Fayette County.
Not comparing that stretch between Macon and Atlanta. I drive both 75 and 85 weekly. There are plenty of stretches of "nothingness" on 75 as well. The amount of development in Newnan is staggering. Have you even been there lately? The new exit by Piedmont Newnan is about to explode with growth. Harris County is the only holdout. As one of the wealthiest counties in the state, I would expect more in commercial development. The Grove development was the start but the collapse killed that huge project.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Not comparing that stretch between Macon and Atlanta. I drive both 75 and 85 weekly. There are plenty of stretches of "nothingness" on 75 as well. The amount of development in Newnan is staggering. Have you even been there lately? The new exit by Piedmont Newnan is about to explode with growth. Harris County is the only holdout. As one of the wealthiest counties in the state, I would expect more in commercial development. The Grove development was the start but the collapse killed that huge project.
Not for long. This massive development in Butts Coumty will significantly narrow the gap of nothingness between Locust Grove and Macon. As far as I'm aware, there's nothing remotely equivalent in the works between Newnan and Columbus along I-85 and I-185.

Furthermore, bear in mind that Henry County is growing at a much faster rate than Coweta County. So logic would dictate the growth would spread southward along I-75 a lot faster from Henry County than it would spread southward along I-85 from Coweta County.

I live in Newnan, so I'm very in-tune with all of the developments taking place or in the works. The growth isn't as staggering as you think. There's still "highly sought-after" parcels around Ashley Park that remain vacant and there hasn't been any new large subdivisions that have broken ground since before the recession. While things are finally starting to pick up a bit, we're now at the very tail end of a historically long economic expansion where lending is tighting for large scale projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta