U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:41 AM

6 posts, read 14,554 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone - My dh is considering a job in downtown Atlanta - near CNN building. We have three kids (preschool, elementary and junior high school). We currently live in a nice suburban area in the NJ and are looking for something similar. We are considering Alpharetta (Milton). Where we live, we expect long commutes (1 - 1.5 hours) into Manhattan for work. Would the commute to downtown Atl be any worse? Also - can anyone list some nice developments where the kids could make friends easily? I'm most concerned for my soon to be 7th grade daughter. Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 AM

26 posts, read 66,132 times
Hi,

I live in Alpharetta, we moved down here from Maine about 7 months ago.
Alpharetta is a great area to live in, very safe and the schools are very good
There is ALOT of traffic on 400 if you were commuting into Atl it would take about 45 min to 1.5 hours to get there, then about the same going home, my husband commutes everyday.

There are a lot of Subdivisions. We live in Fairmont Sub it is nice.
They also have Townhome Communites as well.
What we did was we stayed in a Hotel for about 2 weeks and then Bought our house and moved in.

There are alot of homes for sale available, with the market the way it is you should have no problem getting what you want.

Alpharetta is a good area we are very happy here.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:47 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,314,938 times
Depending on where in NJ you're coming from, you may find Cherokee County more to your liking. We moved down from Middlesex County last summer, and found Cherokee to be like Readington/Flemington was 10 or so years ago. Alpharetta, by comparison, is more like Middlesex County in the level of development. The commute down 575/75 is about the same as the commute from Alpharetta, and it's no big deal when you're used to driving in NJ/NY everyday (despite what everyone says).

Old 04-16-2008, 12:07 PM

Default Thanks for the info

We currently live in Somerset County - near Princeton. I'm originally from NY, so I love having our current 1 acre lot, but I also like to be near the shopping centers and the kids activities. 45min - 1.5 is similar to what we experience in NY/NJ, so it isn't out of the question. My husband will have to think about it. Are there any busses/trains that he could take from the Alpharetta area into downtown? I'm not familiar with Cherokee county. I will have to take a look at it. I was drawn to Alpharetta/Milton by the schools and housing market. I will look into Cherokee as well. Thanks again for the info.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,314,938 times
If you're looking for 1-acre lots, you're not going to find too many in Alpharetta/Milton unless you're planning on dropping $1 million+ for a house- they'll be far more readily available in Cherokee County. The schools out here are also very good, and there are a few buses that run into downtown as well.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:53 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,631,522 times
Most of the lots in Milton are at least one acre. I hate when I see people given the wrong info on housing prices here. You can spend upwards of a million dollars, but you can get beautiful homes on large lots for half as much also. Home prices in Milton have come down just like they have everywhere else.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:32 AM

Default Thanks Mattie

I did see many homes in Milton and even some in Alpharetta that had some land and were in our price range. There are so many homes currently listed in MLS, I'm comfortable that we could find something. Do you live in Milton? What's your take on the town?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 PM

5,440 posts, read 5,030,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingfromthenorth View Post
Hi Everyone - My dh is considering a job in downtown Atlanta - near CNN building. We have three kids (preschool, elementary and junior high school). We currently live in a nice suburban area in the NJ and are looking for something similar. We are considering Alpharetta (Milton). Where we live, we expect long commutes (1 - 1.5 hours) into Manhattan for work. Would the commute to downtown Atl be any worse? Also - can anyone list some nice developments where the kids could make friends easily? I'm most concerned for my soon to be 7th grade daughter. Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks!
If you are considering new homes, take a look at these:

Alpharetta New Homes

Old 04-18-2008, 07:05 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,631,522 times
Coming from the North,
We are also natives of NJ, and came to Milton via FL. We love it here. My kids are both very happy at Milton High. It's rural enough that we don't have everyday traffic, and anything we need to get is a quick 10 minute ride to either Alpharetta or Roswell. Milton is a brand new (1 year old) city, so it doesn't have the recreation programs that the surrounding towns do, but your kids can join any leagues in either Alpharetta or Roswell.
There are a lot of transplants here too, so you are bound to meet others from all over the country. It's a very friendly town. If you have specific questions you can send me a DM.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:02 PM

63 posts, read 194,771 times
We live in the new City of Milton and I love the area - we have lived here for over 25 years and we are in the real estate biz so I have seen all aspects of both sides of Alpharetta (East & West of 400). We are in the Crabapple Crossing Elem, Northwestern Middle and the new Milton HS and I love that they are all next to each other. Miltons new campus looks like a Ivy Leagues campus. The Crabapple/Milton area is quaint, horse farms but yet there is plenty of shopping and dining and even entertainment right around the corner. The new Verizon Ampitheater is opening soon - The Eagles will be playing, just one of the great music groups that will be there.

We have a lot of families where we live that commute to ATL and depending on when you leave to go to work it'll be a good 45 minutes to an hour each way in rush hour. But with children I think you will love this area - Moderator cut: TOS Violation
Hope that helps!!!

Last edited by autumngal; 05-14-2008 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or