Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:55 AM

492 posts, read 534,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
I would say that many of these are startups, but Alpharetta also has some heavy hitters for tech. There is HP, SAP, Fiserv, and Microsoft all in the area. You also have non-tech companies like Halyard, Neenah Paper, etc. in the area that all employ a lot of people in the area. Alpharetta is also pretty well known for having a lot of data centers (especially ones related to fintech).
There are some startups but there are some big companies like ADP, Equifax, Lexis Nexis, AT&T, McKesson, Fiserv, Ryder, UPS, HP, Microsoft, Google etc. I would say around 70% of the work force is in these big companies with the remaining work force in the smaller tier II companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 11:04 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
I don't think the tech companies are the only things that make the Alpharetta area and nearby suburbs much more expensive. To begin, you have some of the best schools in the entire state near Alpharetta/Johns Creek/Milton with Northview, Alpharetta, Johns Creeks, Cambridge, Milton. Then, you have a lot of high end amenities so much so that you don't really have to go Bukchead if you want to shop. It is an ebb and flow. Companies locate to the area because of the good environment. People move to the area because of the good environment and companies.
It's probably not the 'only ' thing no but it is a HUGE contributor toward it. The same is seen just about anywhere USA where there is a large tech presence. Those areas tend to be much more affluent, expensive and high-end compared to the surrounding city....and cities plainly dedicated to tech are just plainly expensive.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:10 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Specifically in technology, the path to higher wages is to jump companies, ESPECIALLY as an individual contributor or lower to mid level manager. My longest tenure anywhere has been 5 years since graduation in 04, but averages about 2.5. Staying in one spot is a surefire way to make sure you miss out on 15-50% pay increases, unfortunately.
That works if you don’t get equity. If you’re higher up and get it then you don’t want to jump around as frequently due to the vesting schedule.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:04 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Atlanta metro saw a 29% increase in Tech Talent
Quote:
Atlanta is #9 on CBRE’s Tech Talent Scorecard, part of its annual Scoring Tech Talent Report, which ranks 50 U.S. and Canadian markets according to their ability to attract and grow tech talent.

Tech labor concentration – or the percentage of total employment – is an influential factor in how “tech-centric” the market is and its growth potential. Atlanta has the ninth largest tech talent labor pool, just behind Seattle and ahead of Los Angeles, and has seen an increase of 29.1 percent over the last five years. The increase is the seventh largest labor pool increase among the large markets during this timeframe.
Atlanta Sees 29% Tech Talent Growth over Last Five Years - Metro Atlanta CEO

Old 07-17-2019, 10:25 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
Good point.

However, we have to start from somewhere and a sizable YOY increase is a good thing to celebrate. We are losing so many GaTech talents to other areas. But at least we have GaTech and have the hope to keep some of them eventually. Lots of people prefer to be close to families. And GaTech recruits a lot of locals.

Georgia Tech is a BIG draw. UGA is pretty good too but more seed money/capital is key to make the start-ups become more. A Tech incubator where many ideas are share would be a great thing to have. Its really what got Austin started as a Tech destination - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microe...gy_Corporation
Having a Deputy CIA Director/NSA Director and Admiral as your CEO (Bobby Ray Inman) helps.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:21 AM

492 posts, read 534,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
"Atlanta at #9 saw an increase of 31,880 tech jobs over the last five years. That marks the fourth largest market increase among the 50 measured markets. Only San Francisco Bay Area, New York and Toronto added more tech jobs."

"In addition to tech talent growth, Atlanta is seeing significant growth among the 20-29 age cohort. Out of all the large tech markets tracked on the report, Atlanta’s young professional growth was ranked sixth when considering the last five years of population change. Its 20-29-year-old growth rate of 10.1percent was more than four times the national average of 2.5 percent. With 21.3 percent of the city’s population falling into that age category, Atlanta represents the sixth most concentrated youth city."

Great going Atlanta..Good days ahead for the Tech market if the trend continues..

Old 07-17-2019, 11:54 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Great article. Thank for sharing.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:08 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
https://www.cbre.us/research-and-rep...h-America-2019

ATL scores well

Old 07-17-2019, 01:46 PM

32 posts, read 36,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Another crappy thing is alot of those jobs up there dont pay anywhere near enough to live up that way.
And this is the primary reason why Forsyth county, particularly the South West quadrant, has seen a housing boom in recent years. A Significant chunk of the IT talent in Alpharetta reside in exits 12-14 areas off GA 400, rapidly expanding further up. New construction homes going up all over south and west Forsyth.

Most tech companies these days offer work from home, some up to three days if you are a god fit for the position.

I work in IT myself, though I commute to the Perimeter area three times weekly.

Last edited by JayFromCT; 07-17-2019 at 02:02 PM..

Old 07-17-2019, 10:18 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFromCT View Post
And this is the primary reason why Forsyth county, particularly the South West quadrant, has seen a housing boom in recent years. A Significant chunk of the IT talent in Alpharetta reside in exits 12-14 areas off GA 400, rapidly expanding further up. New construction homes going up all over south and west Forsyth.

Most tech companies these days offer work from home, some up to three days if you are a god fit for the position.

I work in IT myself, though I commute to the Perimeter area three times weekly.
Many do offer work from home. I'm also a beneficiary of this which is a huge reason as to why I'm able to drive to and from Atlanta from Austin so often to manage my remaining properties..

I personally am even able to take days off and as long as I complete my projects on time I still get paid. There are jobs however that micromanage the crap out of employees.

I worked with Google for one project, never again...they are the king of micromanaging every little thing they can. That literally included trips to the restroom. I was completely capable of doing the job remotely as well but they wanted us in the office to ensure every minute was spent in production. Job was worth twice as much as the pay and basically they treat you like a statistic rather than a person. They bugged the crap out of me during a medical leave. They had no value in remote work but had no problem putting us oncall after our shift and through the weekend of which required immediate response and action which severely limited what we could do outside of work - unpaid of course... and I also had a boss that attempted to commit sexual harrassment...needless to say I put a quick end to him.

I lasted exactly 1 year then moved on to a much higher paying role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta