U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:52 AM

7,112 posts, read 8,591,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The Big Chicken is better. It rolls its eyes!
Wasn't it originally designed to do that and open and close its beak too? I don't know if the original broke down and was never repaired or (as rumor had it) the motor was too noisy and created to much vibration.

Years ago, Pepsi was going to remodel the place and take the Big Chicken down. Weeeeell, you can imagine how that went down in Marietta. "Take away our Big Chicken? How do you expect us to give directions without it? We'd be lost!"

Anyway, when Pepsi saw all the Atlanta media with their cameras,etc. pick up the story, they knew good publicity when they saw it. They would keep the Big Chicken but came up with a new design. There was a big unveiling of the proposed design but the audience gave it a thumbs downed and even booed. Actually, it wasn't bad but Pepsi redid the design and now it resembles the original. Have to see if I can find a before and after photo or even the old rejected design. Oh and Pepsi gave it the moving parts as originally intended. Nice thing for Pepsi to do in a Coke town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM

1,939 posts, read 4,090,300 times
Lum's was great.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 17,884 times
There was a lums on Campbellton Rd. near DeLowe Dr. I knew of one in Macon also when I traveled there a lot.

Anyone remember thew "Shrimp Boat take out seafood places?
the only ones that I remember were located on Cascade Ave. and Cheshire Bridge Rd.

Did anyone ever eat lunch at the Lane Rexall Drug store on Broad St. across from Richs?

How about "Orange Teaco" next to the Leowes Grand Theater, they had a delicious creamy orange treat that was great.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:41 AM

538 posts, read 793,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Yes - this is the Burger Chef that I remember going to as a kid.

I think there was a Lum's on Roswell Road in Sandy Springs near where the Longhorns is (south of Abernathy). Do I remember that correctly?
You remember that correctly.....Lum's was a favorite of the high school crowd in Sandy Springs in the late '60s and early 70s. You could get a big basket of fries for about a dollar and have 5-6 people share. It was located on the West side of Roswell Road across from Bella Pizza I believe. Now Bella Pizza....that's a whole different thread...

Old 10-22-2011, 10:26 PM

5,187 posts, read 5,897,463 times
Menu from Lum's Restaurant | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollywoodplace/4792899853/in/photostream/ - broken link)

A Ham Sandwich on roll, a bowl of soup and cup of coffee for $1.00, unbelievable.

Last edited by perry335654; 10-22-2011 at 10:48 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 897 times
i grew up in brookhaven,there were at least three burger chefs on buford hwy in the early 70s.one at northest plaza(now a wendys) one at skyhill krogers near intersection with clairemont rd it was torn down in 1977 and was a empty lot until 81-82 and became an avis car rental/sales.(do not know whats there now.and one in doraville next door to k-mart shop center across the street from krystal,it became a mrs winters chicken than a pearle opticians(do not know whays there now as i have not lived in atl since early 90s

Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 AM

8,059 posts, read 10,532,477 times
There was a Burger Chef in Griffin that was round! As a small kid, every time we drove down W. Taylor, I whined to my parents to PLEEEEEEEASE stop and let's go in! To a 5-6-7 year old, it was the most awesome thing in town. Very Jetson's.

Some years later, it became a Hardee's and not long after they demolished that great circular building and put up one of their run of the mill square buildings.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:04 AM

1,984 posts, read 2,021,580 times
I vaguely remember the Lum's on Peachtree across from Peach's records. There was a greasy stained glass light fixture over each booth. My mom used to tell me not to touch the thing. As a kid, I thought the burgers there were too spicy. I preferred a cheese steak from Mad Italian, or a plain old grilled cheese from the Sears lunchroom.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 13,568 times
I worked at the Burger Chef on Peachtree Industrial in Chamblee across from Chamblee Plaza in 1970, $1.25 an hour. I was 16 years old and often it was just me and a 16 year old coworker after 8 PM, and I was considered the unofficial night manager. I don't think the owner knew this, the real night manager just did it. It was three doors down from a McDonalds, which is still there. The Burger Chef closed in the early 1980's, the building was torn down and it is an Advance Auto Parts today. I drove by there tonight, which is why I googled and found this forum post.

Your Lums question...my wife and I ate at a Lums in downtown Nassau, Bahamas in 1983. We were the only non-natives in there and we didn't feel welcome at all.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 576 times
Anyone out there remember the Tasty Pizza (I'm pretty sure that was the name) in College Park off the old Virginia Avenue intersection with Lee Street (the smaller railroad frontage road across from Main Street/U.S. 29)? I can never find any info about it and it's the only pizza place I remember my mom taking us back in the '70s when I was a kid. The pizza was fantastic. It was a really small and, as I recall, super-dark place but what amazing food -- pizza the way it used to be made, by hand, and thin-crust/saucy/great toppings and cheese. Never tasted like today's cardboard stuff.

Just wondering. We lived in East Point until summer 1981 and we never ate pizza at home or out, really, unless we hit that little joint. For me, pizza was a real treat growing up and wasn't a regular old meal like it can be today. We loved that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or