Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:07 AM

290 posts, read 812,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orosco5 View Post
Hi,
Back in the day there was a Lum's on Campbellton Rd. SW and on Virginia Ave. in Hapeville.
I remember the Lums on Campbellton Rd. My grandparents used to go there and take us grandkids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 01:47 PM

744 posts, read 2,471,372 times
I so remember those places. A couple of my birthday dinners as a kid were held a Lums in the North metro area ( didn't drive then so I don't remember the streets they were on ) My older sister's first job was at a Burger Chef. Needless to say she hated it.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 20,867 times
Peachtree location was my favorite late '60s early '70s. The only other city I saw one in was Pensacola Florida, early to mid '70s.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:24 PM

207 posts, read 937,039 times
I worked at the Lums on Piedmont in the 60,s Hot dogs cooked in Beer.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 9,868 times
I remember a Lums on Moreland Ave. near Custer,also Stewart Ave. as well as the one on Piedmont.
There also was a Burger Chef on Moreland near the Lums.
I also rewmember a Lums in Macon Ga. near where I used to stay when I traveled there?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 PM

1,499 posts, read 5,080,738 times
I used to love Burger Chef (in Northeast Ohio) as a kid. I would always get the Funmeal, which was the first fast food kids meal that I can remember, even before the Happy Meal.

YouTube - Burger Chef - 1974 Commercial

Old 05-25-2010, 12:12 AM

222 posts, read 749,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborn12 View Post
I remember a Lums on Moreland Ave. near Custer,also Stewart Ave. as well as the one on Piedmont.
There also was a Burger Chef on Moreland near the Lums.
I also rewmember a Lums in Macon Ga. near where I used to stay when I traveled there?
+1 on the Lums & Burger Chef on Moreland. I lived one street over on Woodland.

There was also an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips, up near the Zesto's.

Across from Moreland Shopping Center, there was a "Sir Pizza." Best pizza I ever have had, to this day. Before the internet, I though it was a one-off, mom & pop operation, but I was wrong. There were a chain, and stilll quite popular in the state of TN. A must have, on my trips to Nashville.

Sir Pizza

Also, IN Moreland Shopping Center, was a cafeteria called the "L&M." Man, it was real-deal, old-school Dixie cookin'! It had a loyal following, if theere ever was one. As the area declined, it morphed into "PaPa's Country Buffet, and was located in the K-Mart shopping center @ Buford Highway & 285. Served the same, delicious southern fare for several more years. Think The Dillarde House, at 1/3rd the cost.

One last thing about Moreland. As a kid, there was a "Majik Market", that sat on the hill just off Custer & Moreland. I bought all my candy and wrestling magazines there. Now, it's a seedy looking "rims" store. Sign of the times...

Any of those places ring bells>? Would love to know if you grew-up in the area.

Thanks...

Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,440 times
Lums on Stewart Ave (Metropolitian Ave) and Casplan Street in the early 70's. Had great French fries, no need to add salt or catsup. The origional building and parking still in operation as a Soul food Cafe. Mostly used by employees of Atlanta Public Schools bus transportation service. Also, Lums downtown Atlanta at Pryor St and Trinity St., now a fast food stand.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,087,828 times
There was a Burger Chef on Powers Ferry close to the intersection with Roswell Road in Marietta. That whole area has been remade and nothing is left of it.

Further along at the corner of Roswell Road Cobb Parkway is the Big Chicken. I'm glad the Big Chicken is still there. Georgia's answer to the Statue of Liberty!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:20 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,982,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
There was a Burger Chef on Powers Ferry close to the intersection with Roswell Road in Marietta. That whole area has been remade and nothing is left of it.

Further along at the corner of Roswell Road Cobb Parkway is the Big Chicken. I'm glad the Big Chicken is still there. Georgia's answer to the Statue of Liberty!
The Big Chicken is better. It rolls its eyes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta