U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,017 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for ideas how to find off-campus housing close to the Emory Medical School for a reasonable price. I've had a few bad experiences with large apartment complexes with walls made of paper and no peace and quite.
I'd appreciate any and all ideas! Gables Apartments was recommended, seems rather pricey. Is $1200 for a one bedroom and $1500 for 2 bedroom the going price to be able to walk or bike to campus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 06:29 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,450,813 times
Only if you go the upscale apt complex route...in case you didn't know, Emory has plenty of trust fund babies that have no problem with those rents.
There are some smaller and older apartment buildings near the campus that will be far more affordable. Try these sites:

craigslist: atlanta classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Creative Loafing Atlanta | Home

Old 04-15-2008, 07:09 PM

179 posts, read 509,703 times
If you have a bike, you can live in an apartment in Little Five Points or Virginia Highlands. We lived in Va-Hi for six months while I was at Emory (we moved to buy a house) and it's only three miles away. I had a friend that lived in L5P who biked to campus and didn't own a car - you're close to a lot of amenities in that area with little funky shops, great eats, and a co-op grocery store in the neighborhood and with big box retail just around the corner in Edgewood. I would check Craigslist, Creative Loafing Ads, and the Emory Off-Campus Housing finder (go to the Emory homepage and do a search for it - it's a good place to start as each listing has the distance from campus.) And of course, there is the ever-popular drive around and look for 'for rent' signs method, if you get the chance. That's what worked for us.
Apartments in the neighborhoods I listed can start as low as $600 a month for a 1/1 'retro' unit with no amenities and go up from there. There are also several condo units in those areas that people will rent to students. It's bike it or drive from these neighborhoods, though, but biking is more than possible and a lot of students do it.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:23 PM

161 posts, read 643,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdler View Post
I'm looking for ideas how to find off-campus housing close to the Emory Medical School for a reasonable price. I've had a few bad experiences with large apartment complexes with walls made of paper and no peace and quite.
I'd appreciate any and all ideas! Gables Apartments was recommended, seems rather pricey. Is $1200 for a one bedroom and $1500 for 2 bedroom the going price to be able to walk or bike to campus?
Maybe try for rentals in Candler Park or Lake Claire, also. You'd be right down Clifton from the campus, and they're *great* neighborhoods.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 11,033 times
If you are looking for an apartment, i am trying to find a roommate for my apartment in midtown (3 rooms/roommates total). Its about 10 mins from Emory Medical School. Its actually a duplex house that has been made into apartment that is about 5 walking minutes from Piedmont Park. Its a safe and quiet neighborhood. Its $535 plus some utilities. Its located near 10th Street . I know this is a long shot, but let me know if you are interested so I can give you more details.

If not try gooffcampus.com. They have lots of different options around atlanta so you can specify your search and hopefully get what you are looking for.

Good Luck searching!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:23 AM

1,516 posts, read 6,230,751 times
You can also look on Craigslist in Virginia Highland for rentals. Lots of homes have rentals or basement apts and the homes are older so the walls are thicker. I don't think it's bikeable to Emory but the area is great and very close by car.
On another note, a friend of mine is selling/renting his 1 BR condo in the Aramore on Peachtree (in Brookwood Hills). It's a great building walkable to lots with a pool/fitness center ready this summer. If you're interested in that, PM me and I'll give you his info.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:29 PM

11 posts, read 38,031 times
Default Emory Woods apartment

I lived in Atlanta for 10 years and my very favorite apartment I ever lived in was Emory Woods (Clairemont and North Decatur Road). Bike, shuttle, or bus to the Emory campus (10 minutes, straight shot), diverse community of all ages, greenspaces, pool, and right behind all kinds of restaurants, a Publix, bike shop, record store, bookstore, etc. And very reasonably priced. They are popular places so I can't guarantee that something would be open, but definitely worth looking into.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:38 PM

11 posts, read 38,031 times
Oh, I forgot to mention the prices but when I was there (last year) it was 795 for a two-bedroom townhouse at Emory Woods. I definitely think the prices you mentioned are way more than you should have to pay to live respectably in the Decatur area, unless you prefer to live in luxury apartments like Post homes. I live in Manhattan now and I don't even pay that much!

I remember I found a two-bedroom duplex once in the downtown Decatur area for $800 using Emory's off-campus housing link. Those are mostly ads from individuals who own property and are renting it out, no big boxes:

http://www.housing.emory.edu/off-campus/home.cfm

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 PM

39 posts, read 138,015 times
Default Gables

The Gables on Clairmont is super pricey, although nice at 1st glance, but very loud on weekend nights, and full of overprivileged Emory undergrads who speed around in their Porsche Cayennes.

I would second the above - look on craigslist for places in Va Highlands, Candler Park, etc. I have been surprised to see how far the "Cliff" (Emory's bus system) goes - definitely worth looking at the routes to see if you can save the expense of commuting/parking, however I definitely think you'll need a car in Atlanta!

Emory Shuttles (http://transportation.emory.edu/shuttles.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or