Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 01:10 PM

439 posts, read 419,516 times

Advertisements

I'm in WA and am planning a move to the SE area next year. While earning my accounting degree/MBA for the past 6 or so years I have worked two jobs, one in accounting and one in the horse show world. I braid or band horse hair - weird but it's a well paying fun job if you love horses and horse shows. Last night at a horse show working, I was talking about the move and of course the folks there asked me where. I went through my potentials dutifully to little response until I mentioned Atlanta. All 5 perked up and went on about how Atlanta is NICE, the horse shows are GREAT, I could go to Perry, GA with a horse, Atlanta is COOL, etc. These are all people from the Seattle area.

Another friend in Ohio told me that Atlanta is fantastic and I should make it the #1 place I choose.

Friends from church exclaim to me about how Atlanta is perfect, some are from GA and som are not. One 12 year old even said it was cool but she though LA was a little better because she met Michael Jordan there (LOL).

Even Californians who think the sun shines out of those tired brown dead hills they love so much give Atlanta the nod.

What gives? Maybe Atlanta is too cool for me!

Last edited by fassopony; 08-08-2019 at 01:29 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 01:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,967,513 times
1) Atlanta is not in the southwest.
2) Perry is two hours away from Atlanta.
3) The advice of 12-year-olds is not a solid basis for deciding where to live.

Well, those are jokes, but also kind of not really...

Anyway, why do people love Atlanta? Hmmm, I don't know, I guess people have different reasons. Maybe people from California like it because you can get a nice house for under $1 million, and even under $500k.

But if you're talking to horse people, they're probably talking about a different version of Atlanta than most of the people who live here know. The places where they put horse farms tend to the be nicest, most beautiful areas of any metro area, no?

I think you should visit for a few days first and see what you think.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:29 PM

439 posts, read 419,516 times
Yes, make it SE LOL! I was up all night working.

The point is that I have met all kinds of people from all walks of life and they all seem to think highly of Atlanta. I have never seen such a large and diverse group of people all be so positive about a city.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:40 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,967,513 times
Well, people are friendly in Atlanta.

I don't know how Tacoma is, but I was recently in Seattle. I really liked it. But one thing I noticed is the people weren't friendly. It's not that they were mean, they just weren't approachable. They were also all white or Asian, maybe with that one cool black guy who grew up in a white neighborhood with professional parents. In Atlanta, you'll find A LOT more diversity. The real kind.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:40 PM

651 posts, read 468,695 times
This is a weird thread.

I assumed everyone hated Atlanta.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:45 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,780,227 times
I love Atlanta. It is beautiful, full of opportunity and the southern vibe, while being diluted, still permeates much of the hospitable nature of the people.

I love it because it is home. People do love home.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:47 PM

3,710 posts, read 3,627,281 times
I can't speak much to the horse industry here, but below are reasons why I love Atlanta:

great 4 season weather
Simultaneously a rainy and sunny climate
1.5 hours to mountains, 4 hours to an ocean, and many other cities/sub-cultures under a 5 hour drive
great airport (you start to appreciate this when you get a direct flight to many places, recently had to go to Shanghai and Frankfurt Germany for work. BOTH were direct flights!!!)
Somewhat wide range of housing price points
Lush tree canopy
Southern hospitality
At least areas that have good school
suburbs are not all uniform (unlike the Twin Cities where I moved from, and most suburbs were a mirror image of eachother)
"Y'allywood - i.e. its fun having a large tv/film industry here
Generally lower taxes

Old 08-08-2019, 03:15 PM

225 posts, read 142,014 times
Of all the states I've lived, GA one of my least favs. In 1970's so much nicer (except much more racist talk). Remember so clearly how many liked Lester Maddox. Our GA born neighbors (a retired Sheriff and his wife) were definitely racists. They used the N word all the time. Our family avoided them like the plague. Everywhere was crackerville north of Atlanta. No diversity back then. The occasional political event with black and whites together, or a concert - that was about it. Likely same story throughout Dixie and beyond. Better these days, but not night and day difference. Was so ready to join the service, go overseas and discover new places. Think people have different perspectives of a place based upon what age of their life they were when living there. There's that. Can see appeal of Atlanta for native born's. Saintmarks said it best, "I love it because it is home. People do love home." Can't argue with that, nor would you want to.

Last edited by trouillot; 08-08-2019 at 03:52 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 05:52 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,780,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
Of all the states I've lived, GA one of my least favs. In 1970's so much nicer (except much more racist talk). Remember so clearly how many liked Lester Maddox. Our GA born neighbors (a retired Sheriff and his wife) were definitely racists. They used the N word all the time. Our family avoided them like the plague. Everywhere was crackerville north of Atlanta. No diversity back then. The occasional political event with black and whites together, or a concert - that was about it. Likely same story throughout Dixie and beyond. Better these days, but not night and day difference. Was so ready to join the service, go overseas and discover new places. Think people have different perspectives of a place based upon what age of their life they were when living there. There's that. Can see appeal of Atlanta for native born's. Saintmarks said it best, "I love it because it is home. People do love home." Can't argue with that, nor would you want to.
You can learn to love a new place. Circumstances that had me leave Atlanta were painful, for several years I hated it here in Texas. Finally took the old axiom to heart, "bloom where you are planted." I've discovered that you can learn to love a place if you want to. There is always a silver lining even if the rest of the cloud is dark and menacing. Look for the silver lining and choose to live in it.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:02 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,337,548 times
Yes, I am a native Atlantan, but I feel like, "Whats NOT to love": Beautiful four season climate where the springs and fall (full of color) are long and lovely and the in between seasons (winter and spring) are not too hard to take, lovely old neighborhoods, are much heralded "tree-canopy" (Atlanta REALLY is the "Urban Forest"!), friendly people (at least that is what I have ALWAYS experienced here in my hometown), I love our delicious southern style food, served at home or at our numerous "meat and threes" scattered throughout town and the suburbs (have to admit I am not overly adventurous with my pallet, but there are tons of ethnic and fine dining options available to those that are) . I love our diverse Christian community here, from contemporary "mega-churches" to the foot stomping, amening, Southern Gospel playing, King James Bible preaching, camp meeting style Baptist churches that I have always preferred. Really Atlanta would be paradise if we could control the traffic, and of course HOME is ALWAYS better! ;0)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta