Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:42 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,359,596 times

Advertisements

Okay so I was on another thread and someone mentioned getting a job at an upscale restaurant to make solid money (I am defining this as at least $2,500-$4,000). I haven't had luck landing jobs at what would be considered regular restaurants (doing applications and no calls for an interview) and would like to know if anyone knows of any restaurants that would pay well in tips and has a history of treating their employees like humans. I don't have any restaurant experience and this seems to weigh heavily on me along with not having an Atlanta address. Would anyone happen to know of any restaurants that don't have such strict requirements regarding who they hire...like they give people a chance as well as have a laid back atmosphere (relaxed dress code too)? Some might regard this as an "alternative" environment. I'm trying to think outside of the box because traditional restaurants seem to be unforgiving regarding the above and pretty expensive to work at considering they want your clothes to be professionally dry cleaned for every shift.

Location: Atlanta, Roswell, Smyrna, would be ideal for me and with parking please but open to somewhere near to MARTA if they don't have a parking lot/garage.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:19 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,745,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Okay so I was on another thread and someone mentioned getting a job at an upscale restaurant to make solid money (I am defining this as at least $2,500-$4,000). I haven't had luck landing jobs at what would be considered regular restaurants (doing applications and no calls for an interview) and would like to know if anyone knows of any restaurants that would pay well in tips and has a history of treating their employees like humans. I don't have any restaurant experience and this seems to weigh heavily on me along with not having an Atlanta address. Would anyone happen to know of any restaurants that don't have such strict requirements regarding who they hire...like they give people a chance as well as have a laid back atmosphere (relaxed dress code too)? Some might regard this as an "alternative" environment. I'm trying to think outside of the box because traditional restaurants seem to be unforgiving regarding the above and pretty expensive to work at considering they want your clothes to be professionally dry cleaned for every shift.

Location: Atlanta, Roswell, Smyrna, would be ideal for me and with parking please but open to somewhere near to MARTA if they don't have a parking lot/garage.
Dumb question, Dreamer, but does the address have to specifically say Atlanta (versus, say, Decatur or Marietta)?

Old 08-16-2019, 09:41 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,042,559 times
So... you want a job at a restaurant that:

1) Is upscale AND
2) Pays a lot of money AND
3) Treats people well and is laid back BUT
4) Doesn't need you to look professional AND
5) Doesn't care if you have experience

I'm just going to let you look back at that list and see if you can figure out why you're having a hard time.

https://media.giphy.com/media/gfV5GoEAaHwnC/giphy.gif

Last edited by Beretta; 08-18-2019 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: links only due to copyright infringement

Old 08-16-2019, 10:41 AM

Agree on the experience angle. How hard could it be?

I think a big fear among restaurant owners is they know most people who have half a brain and can do other work, will leave very quickly when they realize how bad the job sucks. Experience kind of shows you already know how bad it sucks and have sort of accepted it.

Of course, there ARE people who are very good servers, enjoy the job, and stay for a long time. But I'm sure you know... those people are what we call outliers.

To answer your question, I would think kind of trendy places in hip parts of town that have expensive menus are going to serve your needs. After all, big tips are based on big checks. Gunshow comes to mind, but since the chefs present their own food there, I'm not sure if they even employ servers. But some place with that type of vibe, I would imagine, is what you're looking for.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:24 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,745,587 times
Quote:
1) Not a dumb question. If you're talking about my resume, I was thinking of leaving my address off but they usually ask anyway and so didn't see the point. If you mean the restaurant, I'd definitely consider Marietta. Decatur is a little bit far but I wouldn't rule it out....
Oh, I thought you were saying the restaurants won't consider you unless your address says "Atlanta." I can understand they might be reluctant to hire someone who lives so far away that getting to work might be a factor. But as long as the prospective employee in within commuting distance that wouldn't seem like a factor.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:18 PM

10,340 posts, read 8,546,502 times
Quote:
1) Not a dumb question. If you're talking about my resume, I was thinking of leaving my address off but they usually ask anyway and so didn't see the point. If you mean the restaurant, I'd definitely consider Marietta. Decatur is a little bit far but I wouldn't rule it out...

2) I was going to change the title this morning. I thought about it last night and said that the dress code thing probably would limit me. I didn't ask for "upscale" specifically and instead put alternative as these kind of places tend to treat their workers better. I wanted to also change the "alternative" requirement and just say a restaurant that treats their workers well.

As for not looking professional, I'm pretty sure there are places out there that allow their staff to wear a dress shirt and jeans and the staff get pretty good tips. I hope you know I didn't mean to come to work in a muscle shirt and short shorts. These places probably sell alcohol (thus good tips). As for experience, I don't think I'm asking for too much. Experience for a restaurant? Are you fu**ing serious?!?! Everyone has to learn the menu, the culture of the place, etc. There is no reason why more restaurants shouldn't give people who don't have server experience, for instance, a chance. It's not rocket science and it seems as if for every job these days they ask for 2-3 years of experience but none want to give you any.
You need to look at it from the point of view from the restaurant, not your own and how you think it should be. Since you have no experience, how is it you feel justified in telling a restaurant who they should hire and give a chance to?
Restaurants are one the most failing businesses and sometimes the margins are very low. With that in mind why should they gamble on someone with no experience who thinks the job is so easy anyone can do it? There is an art to being a good server.
Do you ever look at yelp and see the bad reviews a restaurant can get when there is poor service? We used to say 20 good reviews can be erased with one bad one. Along with other elements, the servers can easily make or break a restaurant. Who wants to gamble their several hundred thousand dollar investment in a tough business with someone who has no experience and no knowledge of the restaurant business.
So far all you’ve done is make conjectures on how the business runs and who is qualified to do it and how they get to dress while making top tips .
Sorry to be so harsh, but your expectations are based on what you want, not reality.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:24 AM

Just as a quick aside...

My travels have taken me to many countries where servers are paid fair wages. In these nations, tipping ranges from acceptable, but not necessary to flat insulting.

While my experience is purely anecdotal, I've noticed this usually leads to much better service. France seems to have many career servers who consider their job noble, and it doesn't seem to be looked down upon by others. In Japan, there weren't many pure servers... when servers weren't busy with tables, they are going about other tasks in the restaurant.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the way servers are treated in this country is fairly despicable. It also, contrary to logic, tends to lead to much worse service.

Also, ironically, paying servers fair salaries did NOT result in much higher food bills. In fact, in my experience, meals in stereotypically expensive cities like Paris and Tokyo end up being EQUAL or even CHEAPER THAN comparable meals in the U.S. when you consider lower or no tips. This is even true with their high value added taxes. This is why I never believe the argument that raising minimum wage will make things more expensive. I see how that's true in theory. In practice, it just doesn't seem to work that way.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:25 AM

10,340 posts, read 8,546,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Being a server is a tough job. We saw it at dinner last night, and were very impressed by the skill and professionalism of our waitress.

When I was young I worked in a restaurant but they started you out behind the scenes, and from there you graduated to busing tables. Servers were further up the chain and I never made it that far.

One of our sons was in the restaurant business and he always said servers can make or break you.
Dang arjay, we actually agree for once.
Your sons statement agrees with mine in why restaurants want experienced waiters and are reluctant to take chances on new people.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:27 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,352,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Just as a quick aside...

My travels have taken me to many countries where servers are paid fair wages. In these nations, tipping ranges from acceptable, but not necessary to flat insulting.

While my experience is purely anecdotal, I've noticed this usually leads to much better service. France seems to have many career servers who consider their job noble, and it doesn't seem to be looked down upon by others. In Japan, there weren't many pure servers... when servers weren't busy with tables, they are going about other tasks in the restaurant.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the way servers are treated in this country is fairly despicable. It also, contrary to logic, tends to lead to much worse service.
I dunno...ever been to the UK? Had many a meal in London, and grew tired of the "a meal is a time where you just relax and wait" thing. Waiting an hour for food and another 45 minutes to get the check got really old, especially on a one-hour lunch break!

Old 08-17-2019, 12:28 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I dunno...ever been to the UK? Had many a meal in London, and grew tired of the "a meal is a time where you just relax and wait" thing. Waiting an hour for food and another 45 minutes to get the check got really old, especially on a one-hour lunch break!
I'd say this is a cultural thing, rather than something to do with the waiters being paid fair wages. Most of Europe is like this - especially southern Europe, where the culture is EXTREMELY laid back compared to here (when it comes to meals, especially). Here, they get us in and out as quick as possible, bringing in more tips and money to the restaurant. In most of Europe, they have many courses, spread them out, and force you to actually have time to enjoy your food AND your company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta