Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 02:03 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

I am in favor of it. We don't need people buzzing around on these things in the wee hours but they are getting vehicles off the road in the daytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 02:10 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,248,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The scooter stats were in your original post......

As for vehicle deaths, the general rate is one fatality (vehicle, motorcycle, pedestrian, etc) per 86 million miles. There have been four scooter deaths in a little more than 2.2 million miles, or one every 500,000-600,000 miles. That is a rate nearly 150 times that of all vehicular deaths. Nothing will support your statement that "long car trips are more dangerous".
I am just quoting this so the numbers are repeated on both pages.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:54 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Nothing will support your statement that "long car trips are more dangerous".
Except that your numbers are "per mile". So long car trips in suburbia are still more dangerous than shorter urban trips on foot, bike, or scooter. Especially if you have good infrastructure that protects you from fast moving cars.

Cars are still the danger. That is why I am so happy to see the city promising action on placing barriers to protect scooters / bikes from cars. Do you disagree?

Old 08-18-2019, 04:02 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am in favor of it. We don't need people buzzing around on these things in the wee hours but they are getting vehicles off the road in the daytime.
Whole thing sounds like it borders on unconstitutional.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:47 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Except that your numbers are "per mile". So long car trips in suburbia are still more dangerous than shorter urban trips on foot, bike, or scooter.
So, you don't understand stats either? How else would you quantify it? Per trip? Of course it's per mile. And per mile, you are 150 times more likely to get killed on a scooter, according to the article you posted. That would mean that for a 15-mile suburban trip, you are ten times less likely to end up in a fatal accident than a one-mile scooter ride.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:57 PM

Atlanta leads the nation in scooter fatalities because of our car-first design: https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/8/9/...eles-san-diego

Cars are still the danger. That is why I am so happy to see the city promising action on placing barriers to protect scooters / bikes from cars. Do you disagree?

Old 08-18-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Atlanta leads the nation in scooter fatalities because of our car-first design: https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/8/9/...eles-san-diego

I can't agree or disagree until I see an actual plan. Giving a lane of west peachtree and spring to bikes and scooters? No problem. Closing Peachtree down to one lane each way? Not a chance.

Also...I'm pretty sure DC and LA cater largely to cars as well. They probably just have less-stupid pedestrians and scooter riders.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Closing Peachtree down to one lane each way? Not a chance.
That will be happening soon either way.

Quote:
Also...I'm pretty sure DC and LA cater largely to cars as well. They probably just have less-stupid pedestrians and scooter riders.
You really do hate anyone not in a car don't you? I guess not all of us can be as smart as Atlanta drivers which are known for their great intelligence, driving skill, and always following the laws. Clearly what we need to do is take these "stupid" pedestrians / scooter-riders and put them behind the wheel of additional 2 ton vehicles and clog up our streets more, right?

Old 08-18-2019, 08:22 PM

Good post from a member of Atlanta City Council:

https://twitter.com/AmirForATL/statu...99233572073472

Old 08-18-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
You really do hate anyone not in a car don't you?
No. Not at all. But, I do have a problem with people who blatantly choose not to put any care towards their own safety then blame it on other people. People who think they can just walk out into the middle of any road any time they choose without paying any attention and everyone must just react. People who won't cross to a perfectly usable sidewalk because it will take them 30 feet out of their way, and instead walk in the road. People who run in the road wearing all black at night. People who ride bikes against traffic to "increase their visibility". In other words, self-righteous, egotistical, ignorant people. I have no respect for those types of people, and don't feel like I, or anyone else, should have to substantially alter my life to accommodate someone like that. I follow the rules of the road (minus the speed limit in many areas because it's artificially low) and always watch for pedestrians and bikers. But, if they can't care for themselves, who should?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: