Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 01:48 PM

225 posts, read 144,311 times

Advertisements

Correct.
I reminisced.
You called me out.
Hooray for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 12:18 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
My memories of Alpharetta are 1970's when open green fields abounded. Then we teenagers seemed to have wide open discovery areas to ourselves. Fun in nature, not young people with smartphones and credit cards in congested place with mediocre air quality from excess of vehicle fumes. Today Alpharetta but another developers construct of excessive consumption and materialism. End goal being maximum extraction of others wealth. Of course no return to less congested times of past, but given choice, will choose large areas of nature, small towns, cleaner air and far fewer shopping choices anytime over places like Alpharetta. When no longer have moral tug to be available to elderly parents, will vacate these suburbs north of Atlanta as soon as possible. Many higher quality of life places to live judging on open spaces and less congestion. Seldom the places mentioned in "Best Places to Live" lists. Not where one may think to live, not with the weather that may appeal to many, but healthier places to live regardless. In fairness seen firsthand western European countries visited in 1970's have upon revisits decades later, also lost some of their charm having becoming more crowded, costly and with societal undercurrent (for many, not all) of tension from waves of immigration. The diminishing sense of personal spaces, increased emphasis on consumerism and false importance placed upon the trivial are not to my thinking, what equate to better mental health or a good place to call home. Likely many come here for better paying job. Get that. Build your retirement savings to place where you feel comfortable, and when you've had enough of congestion and the pointlessness of consumerism - get out for somewhere healthier.
The advantage is that those open fields are still there, just an hour north. Mountain cabins, lakeside cottages, etc. Nice quiet towns like Jasper, Ellijay, Dahlonega and Blue Ridge.

OP is in New Jersey. Good luck finding that kind of open space there. For many in the Northeast the Alpharetta area seems like a paradise in comparison.

OP - I live in Milton and drive around Alpharetta. Traffic is not heavy 8am to 6pm. More likely 8-9am and 4-6pm, with some other spotty areas and times. But the traffic on 400 is heavy, but unlike in some areas in NJ or NY the traffic does move, just slowly.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:10 PM

34 posts, read 39,522 times
Thank you so much for your responses. This really helps. Any input on Suwanee? Housing seems considerably cheaper and school ratings are as good (or better) than Alpharetta.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:38 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajm View Post
Thank you so much for your responses. This really helps. Any input on Suwanee? Housing seems considerably cheaper and school ratings are as good (or better) than Alpharetta.
Suwanee (Gwinnett county) would be a great option as well. You have really good schools, and also easy access to Suwanee Town Center, Mall of Georgia, etc. It’s not close to many jobs like Alpharetta is, but not an issue for you since you WFH.

Keep in mind parts of south Forsyth county have a Suwanee mailing address. Despite having the mailing address, that’s not considered actual Suwanee. So just something to be aware of when you are looking at house listings (that area is also really nice too though).

Old 08-26-2019, 07:07 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
Quote:
Suwanee is a bit farther out than Alpharetta. There are also more unincorporated areas between Suwanee and Atlanta. In Alpharetta your neighbors are Johns Creek (one of the few places more expensive to live than Alpharetta), Roswell and Milton (large estates with lots of land). The zoning in these areas is less hectic than you'll find in the areas that border Suwanee (Duluth, Lawrenceville, Johns Creek).

The other mail difference is that Alpharetta is in Fulton county, which is the same county where the city of Atlanta resides

Old 08-27-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Suwanee is a bit farther out than Alpharetta. There are also more unincorporated areas between Suwanee and Atlanta. In Alpharetta your neighbors are Johns Creek (one of the few places more expensive to live than Alpharetta), Roswell and Milton (large estates with lots of land). The zoning in these areas is less hectic than you'll find in the areas that border Suwanee (Duluth, Lawrenceville, Johns Creek).

The other mail difference is that Alpharetta is in Fulton county, which is the same county where the city of Atlanta resides
Oh ok, but does county make a difference? I mean are there any advantages of being in fulton county?
Thank you!

Old 08-27-2019, 03:15 PM

340 posts, read 320,862 times
Quote:
Oh ok, but does county make a difference? I mean are there any advantages of being in fulton county?
Thank you!
Yes, county does make a pretty large difference. Fulton has stricter and much more organized zoning laws that Forsyth or Gwinnet. In Cumming, you can find a fast food reataurant, next to a school, which is next to multifamily apartments, etc. Zoning is a little crazy in Cumming.

Alpharetta, Milton, John Creek (all in Fulton) all have more structured zoning. Also, Fulton county taxes are probably the highest in the entire state. Alpharetta, Milton (I think they are the most expensive), and Johns Creek also all have pretty high taxes. You get what you pay for though. All of these areas have awesome amenities (parks, libraries, etc.)

Old 08-27-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Yes, county does make a pretty large difference. Fulton has stricter and much more organized zoning laws that Forsyth or Gwinnet. In Cumming, you can find a fast food reataurant, next to a school, which is next to multifamily apartments, etc. Zoning is a little crazy in Cumming.

Alpharetta, Milton, John Creek (all in Fulton) all have more structured zoning. Also, Fulton county taxes are probably the highest in the entire state. Alpharetta, Milton (I think they are the most expensive), and Johns Creek also all have pretty high taxes. You get what you pay for though. All of these areas have awesome amenities (parks, libraries, etc.)
Wasn't aware about this. Thank you for the explanation.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
Wasn't aware about this. Thank you for the explanation.
I recently bought a house in Cumming, which is really South Forsyth, property taxes & schools were the reasons. Forsyth taxes are about $1 per $1,000 of value on a house. An example you buy a $450k house & your property taxes will be $4,500 a year. I lived in Savannah & my property taxes were $6800 for a $400k house.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I recently bought a house in Cumming, which is really South Forsyth, property taxes & schools were the reasons. Forsyth taxes are about $1 per $1,000 of value on a house. An example you buy a $450k house & your property taxes will be $4,500 a year. I lived in Savannah & my property taxes were $6800 for a $400k house.
When I am looking on realtor or zillow, property taxes for a 430K house are around 4K, so these are based on the sale price when the house was sold? (maybe for less) So when I buy this home now for 400K, my new property prices would be around 6500? If yes, that means I cannot rely on the figures shown on zillow/realtor
Sorry for too many questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta