Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 07:07 AM

815 posts, read 708,641 times

Advertisements

From what I'm hearing it is looking more and more like a case of a "scorned" woman. The word is her ex had recently gotten engaged and this set her off. These two had been married and divorced twice and it sounds like he hung around enough afterward that she might have had hopes they would again reconcile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah but if you look on her daughters page she has not one picture of her Mother on her Instagram page. As close as they looked on the Mother’s page, you would assume the daughter would atleast do the same but maybe the Mother had a obsessive but loving relationship with her children? She even has a picture or 2 with her Brother but none of her parents.
I see what you mean. She does seem to be overly wrapped up in her children's lives, especially her daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There was a appeals court judge in Albany who apparently committed suicide last weekend, Stephen Goss. The people who knew him were stunned, thinking it had to have been a homicide. He did a lot of work on mental health and substance abuse. But its been ruled a suicide.
https://www.albanyherald.com/local/g...c7cf827b7.html
Yes, and I hear he was one of the nicest people you'd ever meet. I guess it just goes to show how pervasive mental illness is and how differently it can look from how most people think of it. It is just so sad to think about how much someone like this is suffering and no one even realizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 07:27 AM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Suicide is a very sad thing when someone has an otherwise healthy and viable life.

But why take other innocent lives as well?

Old 08-27-2019, 08:32 AM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
From what I'm hearing it is looking more and more like a case of a "scorned" woman. The word is her ex had recently gotten engaged and this set her off. These two had been married and divorced twice and it sounds like he hung around enough afterward that she might have had hopes they would again reconcile.

I see what you mean. She does seem to be overly wrapped up in her children's lives, especially her daughter.

Yes, and I hear he was one of the nicest people you'd ever meet. I guess it just goes to show how pervasive mental illness is and how differently it can look from how most people think of it. It is just so sad to think about how much someone like this is suffering and no one even realizes.
People who knew him all his life couldn't believe it. Everyone speaks pretty highly of him as well as the children who were killed. I have family members who knew victims in both of these cases.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:25 AM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sometimes we never know what causes people to snap.
Washington Post article on the judge. Seems like the type who would not do this as he was aware of the issues of mental health.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...055_story.html

"A statement from Chief Justice Harold D. Melton said Goss brought “dignity and compassion to the delivery of justice all across this great state” and was known nationally for his work on mental health and substance abuse treatment programs....

In 2002, Goss founded Georgia’s first felony mental health court and substance abuse treatment program in Dougherty County. It was one of the early programs of its kind in the country, according to his online bio. The program assists those with felony probation or pending felony charges, many of whom have a long history with substance abuse or diagnosed mental illness. For the past decade, the Dougherty County program has been a designated learning site for mental health courts, one of only four in the nation...."

Old 08-31-2019, 07:12 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Washington Post article on the judge. Seems like the type who would not do this as he was aware of the issues of mental health.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...055_story.html

"A statement from Chief Justice Harold D. Melton said Goss brought “dignity and compassion to the delivery of justice all across this great state” and was known nationally for his work on mental health and substance abuse treatment programs....

In 2002, Goss founded Georgia’s first felony mental health court and substance abuse treatment program in Dougherty County. It was one of the early programs of its kind in the country, according to his online bio. The program assists those with felony probation or pending felony charges, many of whom have a long history with substance abuse or diagnosed mental illness. For the past decade, the Dougherty County program has been a designated learning site for mental health courts, one of only four in the nation...."

This is pretty amazing. We need more of these throughout the US. A lot of people with mental illnesses need counseling versus incarceration.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:08 AM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Whatever it was that pushed this woman over the edge, it is tragic that she chose to take two fine young people with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta