Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:24 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,192,427 times

Advertisements

Even Chick-Fil-A is testing out mock meats.

https://vegnews.com/2019/5/chick-fil...n-meat-options

I’m not a vegetarian but I don’t understand why meat eaters get so riled up when restaurants bring out these options. Just don’t order them if you don’t want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 10:28 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,622,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post

I’m not a vegetarian but I don’t understand why meat eaters get so riled up when restaurants bring out these options. Just don’t order them if you don’t want to.
Who's riled up?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:39 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,908,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They are seeing if it serves a market. That's fine. Those people can have alternatives when going out with people instead of having to go to a handful of restaurants. I can't imagine ever trying the thing, but I'm not the target market.
I'm not sure who their target market is exactly. Aside from the obvious healthy eating concerns vegans/vegetarians have, one thing that is always top of mind for people that have those types of diets is the concept of collateral contamination. For example, is stuff going to be fried in the same vat of oil that the chicken would be (my guess is yes) or is there anything in this concoction that contains animal byproducts.

Having grown up in the 1980s south I'm ultra-sensitive to this. I can't tell you how many rounds I've gone with restaurants/cooks asking what else was used in the production of something. Newsflash, using chicken stock and throwing a hambone in my greens is not acceptable.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:45 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,622,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm not sure who their target market is exactly. Aside from the obvious healthy eating concerns vegans/vegetarians have, one thing that is always top of mind for people that have those types of diets is the concept of collateral contamination. For example, is stuff going to be fried in the same vat of oil that the chicken would be (my guess is yes) or is there anything in this concoction that contains animal byproducts.

Having grown up in the 1980s south I'm ultra-sensitive to this. I can't tell you how many rounds I've gone with restaurants/cooks asking what else was used in the production of something. Newsflash, using chicken stock and throwing a hambone in my greens is not acceptable.
Just based on my brief time working in fast food, cross cotamination is not supposed to be taking place.

That said, you're dealing with people and human nature. So of course it still happens when it shouldn't.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:26 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,705,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The irony here is that KFC thinks it’s offering a “healthier” alternative, but it’s still breaded! Gross. Why not roll it in dryer lint? The nutritional value would be the same.
Is veganism about being healthy? I thought people went vegan because of climate change or moral reasons.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:45 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,762,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

While KFC will probably never be a go-to place for vegetarians—adding this food could at least keep it in consideration when groups that have a vegetarian or two in it are trying to agree on a place to eat—right now KFC completely off the list.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:55 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,376,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Is veganism about being healthy? I thought people went vegan because of climate change or moral reasons.
No people do it for different reasons that's not the only reason people go Vegan. Actually most vegans I know do it for health reasons and it has nothing to do with climate change or moral reasons for them.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:53 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,317,455 times
My wife is vegetarian and gets all up in arms over any product that is veggie pretending to be meat instead of just being a veggie option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The irony here is that KFC thinks it’s offering a “healthier” alternative, but it’s still breaded! Gross. Why not roll it in dryer lint? The nutritional value would be the same.
Are you disgusted by this because of the health differences in breading and frying something that is otherwise supposed to be healthy, or do you feel that way about any breaded meat product? Because, in my opinion, breaded and fried mean is goddamn delicious! My favorite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post

They do? I haven't experienced this.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,971,971 times
I wonder how it is. In my experience, vegetable-based meat products, or whatever you want to call them, have gotten really good at imitating beef and pork... but aren't quite there yet when it comes to chicken or fish.

Anyway, the target market for this isn't really people who are already vegetarians. It's primarily people who are concerned with the environmental impact of raising so many animals for meat, and also people who are concerned about animal rights.

I really don't see how eating fewer animals could ever be a bad thing so long as the alternatives aren't less healthy. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case. I think we should all be celebrating that the free market is calling for this and we aren't having to rely on restaurants to try to force this change. I think Burger King is disgusting, but I'm looking forward to trying an Impossible Whopper!

Old 08-29-2019, 11:26 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,762,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I wonder how it is. In my experience, vegetable-based meat products, or whatever you want to call them, have gotten really good at imitating beef and pork... but aren't quite there yet when it comes to chicken or fish.

Anyway, the target market for this isn't really people who are already vegetarians. It's primarily people who are concerned with the environmental impact of raising so many animals for meat, and also people who are concerned about animal rights.

I really don't see how eating fewer animals could ever be a bad thing so long as the alternatives aren't less healthy. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case. I think we should all be celebrating that the free market is calling for this and we aren't having to rely on restaurants to try to force this change. I think Burger King is disgusting, but I'm looking forward to trying an Impossible Whopper!
Using farmland to feed people instead of food animals is a much more efficient use of resources, but, I think that turning vegetables into fake meat burns a lot more resources than just making vegetables tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: