Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:40 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Every morning I go online to read the news... and I'd say 5/7 days, there is a murder in Atlanta. I guess most are happening in DeKalb... like this morning Shooting kills man, injures two in DeKalb | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2008/04/17/shooting_0418.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab - broken link)

I suspect, as I've said before, Atlanta's murder rate will return to the normal, disgusting Memphis/St.Louis-esque rate.

This is a rather violent city... many don't like to admit that.
This is a violent city. However, most of the violent crime does not tend to be linked to gangs. That was what I was trying to stress earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:40 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,585 times
The "cooking the books" prior to the Olympics is well-documented, is it not?

Who the hell knows what the violent crime rate here has been for the last two decades... :eyeroll:

Old 04-17-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
This is a violent city. However, most of the violent crime does not tend to be linked to gangs. That was what I was trying to stress earlier.
What does it matter if it is linked to gangs or not? Actually, would gang activity not be easier to handle?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
What does it matter if it is linked to gangs or not? Actually, would gang activity not be easier to handle?
The original poster was referring to gang activity and I was responding in kind. Gang activity (in this case, a gang-related shooting in Austell) was the original point of the thread, not the overall crime rate in Metro Atlanta.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:47 AM

I take it that this thread will turn into a pissing contest like most other threads on here.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:55 AM

Not a pissing contest as you actually see and can objectively identify Atlanta as one of the violent cities in the U.S., that's better than many on this board.

As for the "gang" activity in the original post... ridiculous. Doesn't even look like it's a "true" gang (I say this loosely) that relies on the drug trade or other criminal activities. Looks like a bunch of mislead young kids who probably want to live a lifestyle glorified by shows like The Wire.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Not a pissing contest as you actually see and can objectively identify Atlanta as one of the violent cities in the U.S., that's better than many on this board.

As for the "gang" activity in the original post... ridiculous. Doesn't even look like it's a "true" gang (I say this loosely) that relies on the drug trade or other criminal activities. Looks like a bunch of mislead young kids who probably want to live a lifestyle glorified by shows like The Wire.
I agree. A lot of the suburban "gang" stuff is an imitation of what these kids see on television or hear on the radio.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:21 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
The original poster was referring to gang activity and I was responding in kind. Gang activity (in this case, a gang-related shooting in Austell) was the original point of the thread, not the overall crime rate in Metro Atlanta.
Sometimes it's hard if not impossible to peg something as "gang related" or not.

For instance, in that news article it was easy, because some of those involved actually told the officers exactly that this is what it was about. Other crimes throughout the metro area are not so clearly defined at first, or ever.

Example - Two teens home invade a house and many times it will be reported as a random crime, yet it may have been part of a gang initiation. Sometimes when they're caught they'll admit this, and other times in order to protect others in the gang they'll say nothing, so it gets logged as a non-gang random act.

Same with carjackings, general burglaries, car thefts, etc. A number of them that go reported as generic random crimes ARE related to gang activity but simply may not be reported as such because those involved don't admit that aspect of it, or, the local leaders don't want to alarm residents that there is gang activity locally.

So the point: There's more gang activity related crimes throughout the metro area than most realize - it's just not all being reported as such.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:47 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
And you wonder why crime is so high. The ratio of officers to people in the entire metro area is something like 1 to 1000. The police force in Atlanta is stretched way too thin.
That's roughly the same as where I used to live (Bloomington, MN has roughly 116 officers [that might be total personnel, I'm not sure] for a population of 85,000, and Minnetonka, MN has 58 officers for 51,000 people).

Then again, Minneapolis itself has "800 sworn officers and 300 civilian employees" for 370,000 people.

How many officers does the City of Atlanta have?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That's roughly the same as where I used to live (Bloomington, MN has roughly 116 officers [that might be total personnel, I'm not sure] for a population of 85,000, and Minnetonka, MN has 58 officers for 51,000 people).

Then again, Minneapolis itself has "800 sworn officers and 300 civilian employees" for 370,000 people.

How many officers does the City of Atlanta have?
Of course those officers have to cover 3 shifts, so the number out on the streets can never be close to the total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta