U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,106,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Not a pissing contest as you actually see and can objectively identify Atlanta as one of the violent cities in the U.S., that's better than many on this board.

As for the "gang" activity in the original post... ridiculous. Doesn't even look like it's a "true" gang (I say this loosely) that relies on the drug trade or other criminal activities. Looks like a bunch of mislead young kids who probably want to live a lifestyle glorified by shows like The Wire.
Well today there was a 'cocktail' style fire bomb in Dekalb County at a local high school reported as 'gang' activity in retaliation for 'myspace' comments. 3 arrested for burning the car down in a school parking lot.

The definitions is (via wiki):
A gang is a group of individuals that share a common identity, even if that identity consists of little more than their association with one another. In early English usage, it referred to a group of workmen, and later underwent pejoration. ...

so there's an age and IQ level associated with the word 'gang'. I don't care how old you are. You might believe the a gang is determined as a more sophisticated organization of activity but I think of them as just a group of people committing crimes together, regardless of their IQ level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 07:19 PM

274 posts, read 778,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
This is yet another consequence resulting from the "Californiazation" of Georgia. You always heard about stuff like this in L.A., but not Atlanta until recently

Ughhhhhhhhhh, not quite true. I'm a CA transplant and yes there are lot's of gangs in So. CA
Black and Latino (Central America, South America, Mexico) the Italian mafia is/was the biggest gang in the world also.
. Then there is the white gangs in the prisons. Gangs also have migrated from New York, Chicago, Florida (Latino) so lets not harp on CA only. I hate gangs and all they stand for and what they do to those less fortunate in society (the poor).

Old 04-18-2008, 07:33 PM

1,404 posts, read 2,377,183 times
Default Atlanta gangs ain't nothing compared to LA

I'm pretty sure the gang activity in the Atlanta area aint nothing compared to here in Los Angeles. If you want to see some real gang activity visit the South Central LA, Compton, and Inglewood areas. They have murder rates that rival Washington DC and New Orleans. All you'll see while driving around is burglar bars on peoples houses and gang tagging everywhere. I have a friend who was down in that LA area the other week. He was at a bus stop waiting for the bus and some teenage gangbangers in a car pulls up and asks him "Where was he from?". Then one of them pulls up his shirt and shows my friend a .44 gun tucked in his pants. My friend told them off.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:36 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,740,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I'm pretty sure the gang activity in the Atlanta area aint nothing compared to here in Los Angeles. If you want to see some real gang activity visit the South Central LA, Compton, and Inglewood areas. They have murder rates that rival Washington DC and New Orleans.
I'm sure any victims of gang crime could care less which city has more, which gangs are more violent or worse, or what country they're from or anything else. If a community has gangs, whether they be "organized" or just wannabes, it's still too many and it's a problem.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:48 PM

1,998 posts, read 3,121,190 times
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/atlantastreetgangs/Actually (broken link), Atlanta does have a significant gang problem.

I've lived in Atlanta, South Central Los Angeles, Long Beach, CA, Chicago, Brooklyn and now DC and I do know that gang life in Atlanta does not compare to the dangers of gang life and activity in LA, Chicago or New Orleans... However, Atlanta does have a sizeable gang culture. It does rival gang life in cities such as Kansas City, Little Rock, DC and Brooklyn. Why? There are lots of transplants from other gang riddled cities (mostly from Chicago) that have made Atlanta home. Don't forget that the whole "White-T" and "Black-T" movement originates in Atlanta's Zone-5, 3rd Ward.

Gang life in Atlanta is not very popular due to the nation's view of Atlanta as a generally safe place. Most outsiders do not realize and are surprised to find that Atlanta has unfortunately been on the list of top 12 most dangerous cities in America steady since the early 90s. There were even a few years that Atlanta was the 2nd most dangerous.

But why so dangerous at those times. Because of new gang activity. Atlanta is a MAJOR stopping point for gang/arms and drug trafficing between Miami and the Chicago, DC, NYC and St. Louis areas. I KNOW from experience. Many gangs from Chicago strategically placed members in the Atlanta area, and that's not hard to accomplish being that Atlanta has SO MANY Chicago transplants that most Chicago gang members have close family in the Atlanta area. These gangs set up shop in Atlanta and claimed territory. Naturally, they faced opposition and before you know it (in the late 90s) Atlanta was actually experiencing a gang outbreak and war between gangs that were not homebased in Atlanta. In those days, there were probably more guns being traded inside Atlanta's city limits than anywhere else east of the Mississippi. And the crazy part was that it was mostly happening between members from Chicago, Miami, and even Alabama. Atlanta was just the battleground until gangs figured they needed to set up shop there to protect there interest in the trades. That is how Atlanta plays a part in gang culture. Trade. Now, there are mostly GDs in Atlanta, then lots of Bloods and some Crips. There are even Latin Kings believe it or not. I don't think there are many People gangsters, but the Folks are by far the deepest in Atlanta and don't be mistaken, they don't play. They are no different than Folks in Chicago. Oh, and don't forget the Gotti Boys from New Orleans. They are deep in Atlanta now to (Post Katrina). And they are crazy.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:30 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,983,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Gang life in Atlanta is not very popular due to the nation's view of Atlanta as a generally safe place.
Huh... That sure wasn't my view of Atlanta before moving down here, and I've actually been pleasantly surprised that what I had heard was somewhat exaggerated (both in terms of heat, and in terms of crime).

Who in the US thinks Atlanta is "safe"...? I've always heard it lumped together with Detroit, East St. Louis, and other places as a rough city, but maybe that's just a sheltered midwest thing.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM

341 posts, read 1,236,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/atlantastreetgangs/Actually (broken link), Atlanta does have a significant gang problem.

I've lived in Atlanta, South Central Los Angeles, Long Beach, CA, Chicago, Brooklyn and now DC and I do know that gang life in Atlanta does not compare to the dangers of gang life and activity in LA, Chicago or New Orleans... However, Atlanta does have a sizeable gang culture. It does rival gang life in cities such as Kansas City, Little Rock, DC and Brooklyn. Why? There are lots of transplants from other gang riddled cities (mostly from Chicago) that have made Atlanta home. Don't forget that the whole "White-T" and "Black-T" movement originates in Atlanta's Zone-5, 3rd Ward.

Gang life in Atlanta is not very popular due to the nation's view of Atlanta as a generally safe place. Most outsiders do not realize and are surprised to find that Atlanta has unfortunately been on the list of top 12 most dangerous cities in America steady since the early 90s. There were even a few years that Atlanta was the 2nd most dangerous.

But why so dangerous at those times. Because of new gang activity. Atlanta is a MAJOR stopping point for gang/arms and drug trafficing between Miami and the Chicago, DC, NYC and St. Louis areas. I KNOW from experience. Many gangs from Chicago strategically placed members in the Atlanta area, and that's not hard to accomplish being that Atlanta has SO MANY Chicago transplants that most Chicago gang members have close family in the Atlanta area. These gangs set up shop in Atlanta and claimed territory. Naturally, they faced opposition and before you know it (in the late 90s) Atlanta was actually experiencing a gang outbreak and war between gangs that were not homebased in Atlanta. In those days, there were probably more guns being traded inside Atlanta's city limits than anywhere else east of the Mississippi. And the crazy part was that it was mostly happening between members from Chicago, Miami, and even Alabama. Atlanta was just the battleground until gangs figured they needed to set up shop there to protect there interest in the trades. That is how Atlanta plays a part in gang culture. Trade. Now, there are mostly GDs in Atlanta, then lots of Bloods and some Crips. There are even Latin Kings believe it or not. I don't think there are many People gangsters, but the Folks are by far the deepest in Atlanta and don't be mistaken, they don't play. They are no different than Folks in Chicago. Oh, and don't forget the Gotti Boys from New Orleans. They are deep in Atlanta now to (Post Katrina). And they are crazy.

^^^
I never looked at Atlanta as safe, the stories I heard before I came here where all about either the large amount of gay black people or the large amount of hooligans running around doing what they wanted. And I had heard from someone else that the whole white Tee-shirt black Tee-shirt thing started in Atlanta too. My freind told me that the drug dealers in the Thomasville Projects area I think all decided to start growing dreadlocks and wearing either all white-tee-shirts or all black tee-shirts to confuse the police. Makes sense if you think about it, if everyone standing on the corner has dreadlocks and is wearing a white shirt, when the police jump out how will they know who to chase if there are 9 teenage and early 20 somethings running around with dreadlocks and the same shirt on? She said they started doing the dreadlock and white shirt thing in the mid-90's, now fast forward to 2009 and in almost every major city young thugs in the hood wear dreadlocks and white or black tee-shirts

Last edited by Crazy Virgo Child; 02-23-2009 at 02:08 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 01:53 PM

341 posts, read 1,236,021 times
Default Gangs are not what you should be worried about!!!

I think most of you are getting caught up in the media hype surronding gangs. LA and Chicago get attention from the media due to gangs, but some of the most crime ridden cities in the country dont even have gangs- Detroit, DC, Miami, Atlanta, Oakland, and Baltimore. Please people dont get caught up in the hype the media likes to give to gangs. IMO Atlanta has something allot worse than any gang- BMF (Black Mafia Family) They sell and have sold more drugs than probably crips, bloods, gd's, BPS, LK's all put together. I never got why gangs get so much attention while drug crews that produce KingPins like Big Meech-ATL, Rayful Edmonds-DC, Ricky Ross-LA, Avery "Boobie" Kelly- Miami, Chambers Brothers-Detroit all have killed and sold more drugs than any gang ever dreamed too. Atlanta is not run by gangs, the ones that have tried to come here and set up have been run off by the locals, Atlanta is run by Drug crews and Block Crews, gangs will always be on the scene here just because of the large number of transplants, but they will never run the city

Old 02-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Well, you guys are exceptions. Don't mistake me... Yes there ARE many people that hear and believe that Atlanta is a dangerous place, but from my experience there are also MANY MANY people who think Atlanta is a small, slow sleepy town that couldn't possibly be a dangerous place. Many people I know in Brooklyn and LA had believed that. I have never heard that from anyone from the Midwest though I do have to say. While visiting LA in 95 (but living in ATL), My aunt there could not believe and understand how Atlanta was rewarded the Olympics because she thought Atlanta was no bigger than a small town like on the Andy Griffith Show. She was shocked to see a picture of the skyline. And she's not alone. You guys were just among the ones who know better. Feel good about that because there are a LOT more ignorant... sorry, uninformed people out there that don't know things like this.

As far as it not being as bad as you thought, GREAT!!! That is also a common oppinion of transplants that hear about Atlanta. BUT, remember this, gang life in Atlanta (like I said) is based on trafficing. It's not like living in LA or Chicago. If you are not involved in the drama, you will not even know it exist. That's not what you get in LA. It doesn't matter if you are involved or not, just be in the wrong place at the wrong time and a foot soldier may claim your life just for respect of someone else. Do you understand what I mean? But, you do have to use some logic and think, "Well, what exactly is making Atlanta stay on that list of most dangerous cities?" even though you are not seeing and hearing about all the violence.

A lot happens in Atlanta, but it flies below the radar of many citizens there. Wherever a lot of traffic is taking place, you will also find a lot going wrong, and the result is a lot of people die.

Food for thought: Here's the 2008 list

1. New Orleans, Louisiana
2. Camden, New Jersey
3. Detroit, Michigan
4. St. Louis, Missouri
5. Oakland, California
6. Flint, Michigan
7. Gary, Indiana
8. Birmingham, Alabama
9. Richmond, California
10. North Charleston, South Carolina
11. Cleveland, Ohio
12. Baltimore, Maryland
13. Miami Gardens, Florida
14. Memphis, Tennessee
15. Youngstown, Ohio
16. Atlanta, Georgia
17. Compton, California
18. Orlando, Florida
19. Little Rock, Arkanasas
20. Minneapolis, Minnesota
21. Washington D.C.
22. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
23. Jackson, Mississippi
24. Newark, New Jersey
25. Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Notice Atlanta falls before Compton, Little Rock, DC, Philly and Newark which are all supposed to be extremely dangerous places.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM

The Los Angeles Times reported Atlanta to be the nation's most dangerous city in 2000, 2001 and 2002. But, I bet nobody saw any of that violence happening that got it there, huh... Because you weren't involved... Atlanta is generally a safe place if you aren't involved, but if you ARE a gangster, beware because Atlanta's gang life will most likely claim your's...

Chief Calls Atlanta Most Dangerous City in Nation - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or