Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 01:50 PM

96 posts, read 94,151 times

Advertisements

I'm retiring and in my late 50s, seeking an urban/suburban neighborhood that is not all families, but includes a. mix of singles or retirees - hopefully in different age ranges.

I plan to do lots of travel in the coming years, using Atlanta as my hub. When in town, I want to walk to bars, movies, restaurants...so walkability is a factor.

Commute will not be a factor, being able to walk is.

THANKS - PS, have family in Douglasville, so maybe the west side of the city is best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 01:53 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,438,386 times
Probably Decatur, and you can take Marta to Hamilton E. Holmes station and have a family member pick you up, when you want to visit them. You could also take Marta to the airport for travel.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:11 PM

654 posts, read 526,929 times
Budget? Where are you currently living? How often do you expect to drive to your family? Condo, townhouse, sfh?

I wouldn't rule out an East side location. If you are willing to travel to family during non rush hour times it's not that much longer.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:20 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,462 times
Marietta Square. It's quite walkable, good mix of age groups and demographics, with a very good and constantly improving food and entertainment scene. It's also on the northwest side, so fairly convenient to your relatives in Douglasville.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:04 PM

96 posts, read 94,151 times
Moving from DC, so I am finding ATL prices to be a pleasant surprise.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:17 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,750 times
I am going to second Marietta Square - are you looking to rent or buy. Lots of great townhomes in that area. The Battery (Cumberland Mall area) is also an option (they are building a movie theater).

Old 09-02-2019, 08:03 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,842 times
Midtown is probably the most urban option in the metro, and a pretty reliable option for many new to the metro that still want to learn neighborhoods. Downtown if you want some more affordable urban options. Decatur if you want a little more of a small town in the big city feel. There are also lots of other smaller intown neighborhoods to explore. Check out anything along the Beltline which is a great walk / bike and future transit route looping the city.

Downtown Marietta is nice, just be aware that it and all of Cobb county is not part of the regional transit system. So beyond what you can walk to in the square. You are going to be pretty dependent on a car up there still.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:06 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
A third endorsement for the Marietta Square area. It's probably the closest to what you are seeking.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:48 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,065 times
If the you're going to travel a lot and want walkability as a large factor, Marietta Square (as nice as it is) may not be the best option. You'll will likely want a more accessible transit connection to the airport.

West Midtown could be a good option, depending on what exactly you are looking for. You may not be able to walk to movies, but you'll have a huge selection of bars, restaurants, shopping, etc. Atlantic Station has a movie theatre and is just a few minutes away by uber, or a half-hour walk. You won't have a direct walkable MARTA connection, but you'll be minutes away by uber. West Midtown would also be closer to the family Douglasville.

Plenty of other good suggestions here, but I think budget is the biggest factor.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:05 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,188,694 times
Downtown Woodstock, GA. My wife and I are selling our paid off 5 BR house in Cobb now the three kids are all grownups, and we're are looking at a town home in Woodstock.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta