U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 AM

8 posts, read 43,022 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband has been accepted to med school in Atlanta, Richmond, and San Diego. I am from San Diego but we are considering moving, mainly becuase San Diego is so expensive. We have one child and another on the way. I am just trying to see what people think of Richmond vs Atlanta as a place to live and raise a family. We have visited Richmond and I really liked it, plus we have some family & friends there. We do not really know anyone in Atlanta and I have not been there yet. I have pretty mcuh spent my entire life in California and have not really been to that part of the country. Any adive would really be appreciated! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:11 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,372,059 times
Atlanta = New South
Richmond = Old South

Atlanta = What do you do for a living?
Richmond = Who are your people?

Atlanta, obviously, is a much larger city and far more dynamic than Richmond. Richmond is Upper South, Atlanta is Deep South (although Atlanta is likely the least 'southern' southern city that you'll ever encounter); folks in the upper south have always tended to look down their noses at the 'backwoods' folks down here as not as genteel...my grandmother was a native Virginian and when the family moved to GA it was definitely considered a 'step down'.
Not to digress, though...you're talking about two very different cities, but both of whom I like very much. You're going to get a slower, more staid way of life in Richmond compared to Atlanta...it just depends on what experience you're looking for.
Of course, DC is an easy drive from Richmond if you're needing a big city fix...

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-17-2008 at 07:34 AM..

Old 04-17-2008, 07:21 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,745,340 times
Richmond, while not a perfect city by any means, has a generally lower crime rate than atlanta per capita, MUCH lower traffic/congestion, and is about equal in pricing for homes (some can be higher actually in the upper crust areas). Generally more family-oriented than Atlanta proper, though of course the burbs in Atlanta are nuclear family heaven in some spots.

San Diego you say is too expensive, Atlanta is unfamiliar and you know no one here, and you liked Richmond and know people there as well. I think you answers your own question. (Richmond).

Old 04-17-2008, 07:36 AM

112 posts, read 439,046 times
Wow, I actually have relevant experience, for once! My husband went to med school and residency in Richmond, and after he finished, we moved to Atlanta. They're quite different, depending on what you're looking for.

If you have kids, I'd put a high price on being near family. A HIGH price. We actually didn't have our first until after we moved, but there were a lot of people in his med school and residency classes with kids, so if that's still typical in Richmond, I think that's a plus. You don't want to be the only one dealing with childcare issues in school.

Richmond is smaller, has easier housing relatively close to the med school, has good restaurants, a fair number of kid-friendly activities, and is an easy drive to the beach, mountains, and DC. We often drove up 95 to the southernmost Metro stop and went into the city that way. We could also be on really nice hiking trails near Charlottesville within an hour of deciding to leave. I'm not a huge fan of Virginia Beach, but it's not too far away, and the outer banks are accessible, too.

Atlanta has TONS of kid activities. Depending on where you live, the commute is a bear. Would he be at Emory or Morehouse? Morehouse is MARTA-accessible, Emory is not as easily. Better (and more) restaurants than Richmond, more to do, less of a community feeling, more diversity, great parks, but it takes longer to get out of town, and when you get there, you're surrounded by Atlantans.

I'd be happy to give you more info if you want to DM me. I can give you more specifics if I know what matters to you the most.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:38 AM

112 posts, read 439,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Richmond, while not a perfect city by any means, has a generally lower crime rate than atlanta per capita,
That's funny -- when my husband started med school there, it was actually the murder capital of the US (per capita)! I don't know if the minor crimes didn't keep pace with the murders, or what...

Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 AM

3,342 posts, read 7,026,103 times
I grew up in So. CA and later moved to the Bay Area for College and am very familiar with San Diego, I initially considered Virgina because nationwide the schools where better ranked and I have two kids and I also wanted to be close to the water & the job market is very good. So we visited friends in Richmond VA and the surrounding areas. My husband and I were bored out of our minds. We didn't see people outside of their homes and when we told the natives that we were interested in moving to VA from CA they thought we had lost our minds.

With VA Beach I was very, very disappointed and it is nothing like the pictures or what we are accustom to in CA. I liked the Newport News and Norfolk area in terms of scenery. To find good schools stay out of Richmond, you'll probably have to live in Henry County. It is cheaper to buy in VA when you compare it to CA but you'll quickly find that what you want is more expensive. I believe you can get more for your money in ATL. ATL homes to me overall & in terms of quality are a lot nicer than what you can get in VA & you get more land in ATL as well. In Richmond some areas to me seemed a bit sketchy and there is a lot of crime there too. VA overall has less crime but Richmond has a lot of crime. And, I hate chain restaurants which VA has a lot of. If I were going to move to VA I would move to the Northern part like Alexandria which was way cool (but expensive).

What I really like about GA and why I settled with GA was how pretty and well maintained areas are. I liked how family oriented the communities are. I love to eat and ATL has some of the best food I've ever tasted. Georgians are very nice people and you get new comers all of the time which makes the place more interesting.

You can't beat having family close if they are a big help to you but sometimes family are better to visit and not live too close to.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:43 PM

20 posts, read 51,311 times
Autumn D-

My husband is graduating for MCV next month and we are headed to Atlanta for a residency. We have LOVED richmond. I can not say anything about Atlanta because we have not been there yet. (we will be visiting next week- to find a house) I think you cannot go wrong with Richmond. They accept alot of students from the west so there are tons of students from Califorina, Arizona, Utah, Idaho all in your same situation- away from family. You will make great friends and have plenty to do. I am a stay at home mother and never get board. There are alot of things to do with my little girl. We bought a house, but lived near an apartment complex that has nearly thirty med/dental student famlies. A lot of which have children. I would love to answer any questions you have about Richmond, but once again I think you would love it. Also, the crime rate was very high when we first moved here, but it deffinately has gotten a ton better. I really have never felt scared in my neighborhood. If you stay away from scetchy areas you will be fine. Good Luck...

Old 04-18-2008, 11:30 AM

Thank you all for your input! I have another question about housing. We are planning on spending $350,000 or less on a home. What type of a home does that get and in what type of a neighborhood? In San Diego it does not get much. I have been looking on realtor websites and it is hard to tell if the neighborhoods are good ones or not (ie good for families with small children, etc). Can anyone tell me what the areas near Emory are like and if we should be able to afford something there? Thanks again!!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:18 PM

23,125 posts, read 36,372,059 times
Yes, you can get a home near Emory for $350M, but it will be a relatively modest one; probably a 3/2 ranch with about 1500 - 1800 sq ft.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:36 PM

Thank you! Can you recommend other family friendly neighborhoods where we may be able to get a little more for our money and not be too terribly far from Emory? Also, is the traffic really that bad? Southern California has pretty bad traffic. Our rush hour can last forever. How long is the rush hour around there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or