U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:58 PM

20 posts, read 51,300 times

Advertisements

I am headed down there next week to find a rental home. My husband and I are looking at the City of Decatur (30030) or Inman Park, Candler Park (30307) area. We are having a hard time finding rental homes in these zips. He is going to be a resident at Emory and would like to be close. I am seeing a lot of houses in the 30033 zip and the 30329. I believe these are around Taco Hill. Am I right and is that a good area? We really like what we have heard about the other two area's when it comes to our young family, things with in walking distance, and saftey. Also, What about Avondale? Is it a good family friendly-safe area? Safe meaning, I am going to be home alone with my young daughter a lot of the time. I would like to feel like my house is not going to be broken into at night.
Last- Does any one know of any real-eatate agents or property mng. groups that deal with rental houses that we could contact to help us find a home?
Thanks in advance.
RWiddi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 PM

80 posts, read 451,430 times
Did you try craigslist? This has both by owner and rental agent listings. Virginia Highland, Morningside, and Druid Hills are also very nice areas near Emory. Toco Hills is okay, but more suburban. Avondale Estates itself is okay, neighboring areas are not as nice and there is less to walk to.

heres a list for virginia highland 2 bedrooms
atlanta craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "virginia highland"

Old 04-17-2008, 01:24 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,511,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiddi View Post
Taco Hill.
From now on I will always refer to Toco Hill as Taco Hill. I love it!

Taco HIll is a good area , but is more car oriented than Candler Park, City of Decatur and Inman Park. It's definitely not a pedestrian friendly area, but it is close to Emory.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM

I guess I was hungry when typing this message... Thanks.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:48 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,511,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It's definitely not a pedestrian friendly area.
I should clarify/modify that statement. Toco Hill is walkable if you live along certain portions of Lavista Road. The thing that makes Toco Hill not so walkable is that North Druid Hills Road, one of the main roads through the area, would be very tough to cross for a pedestrian.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:02 PM

23,125 posts, read 36,356,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I should clarify/modify that statement. Toco Hill is walkable if you live along certain portions of Lavista Road. The thing that makes Toco Hill not so walkable is that North Druid Hills Road, one of the main roads through the area, would be very tough to cross for a pedestrian.
Toco is definitely not a walking area in the sense that Decatur and Candler Park are...Dec and CP are pre-war neighborhoods, and shopping is very accessible for walking residents; Toco is postwar and very car-oriented (at the time it was developed, I'm sure this was a plus).
It's still a great neighborhood in a great location.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:46 PM

112 posts, read 438,985 times
I love Taco Hill, too! My kids will definitely pick that one up.

You've gotten lots of good advice about areas, and I think you're looking in the right place. Just thought I'd pipe in as I live outside Avondale Estates, and I've always felt safe, but it's not as walkable as inside AE itself. There is some redevelopment happening, but it wouldn't be done by the time you get here. (Actually, it just struck me that there's a rental house available in my neighborhood, DM me if you want the info.) We have a few Emory residents in our subdivision, but it's no Candler Park or downtown Decatur as far as family-filled areas. We are biking distance to Decatur, but I don't know if you're into biking with a child.

Welcome!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:05 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.

One last question though- Is zip code 30033 in the city of Decatur or is that false advertisement with rental houses? Is this a good/safe area of Decatur?

Thanks Again-

RWiddi

Old 04-17-2008, 03:13 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,202,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiddi View Post
Thanks everyone for your help.

One last question though- Is zip code 30033 in the city of Decatur or is that false advertisement with rental houses? Is this a good/safe area of Decatur?

Thanks Again-

RWiddi
You can google for a map.

It is north of the city of Decatur. 30033 looks good--Sagamore Hills, Leafmore Hills--close to Mason Mill Tennis Center.

50's/60's homes that have been renovated

Old 04-17-2008, 04:09 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,409,960 times
Wow - there is only one house in Inman Park listed in the multiple listing service for rent. They want $5400 a month!

Tradtionally there are not many homes in Inman Park for rent.

Hope you can stay for the Inman Park Festival at the end of the month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or