Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2019, 10:05 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
It's not a good idea to invalidate people's experiences.There are more than just a few people on this forum who have had similar experiences in Atlanta towards finding work and/or finding work that demands the pay/benefits they deserve. Why don't you all read their posts. I saw some relatively new posters on this thread and so don't know where "usual suspects" came from.

Your experience isn't everyone's experience.
It's not invalidation when people are asking very basic career questions at the same time they're saying an entire city is a bad place to work...

Old 11-05-2019, 10:43 AM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It's not invalidation when people are asking very basic career questions at the same time they're saying an entire city is a bad place to work...
I dont think anyone said it was a bad place to work but merely they were broadening their spectrum of choices to seek opportunity.

I had to do so as well even as a CCNA / CCNP professional. I could have stayed but other opportunities presented themselves that broadened both my salary and experience.

That doesnt necessarily make Atlanta bad but it was a choice for my personal development. Other opportunities in another metro arose before I found a better opportunity in Atlanta.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:07 PM

170 posts, read 188,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
According to Indeed, $119K in Atlanta. BTW, Cloud, especially AWS/Automation is a great place to be right now! It's also a great choice if you prefer jobs that let you work from home.

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Aws-...es,-Atlanta-GA

Yikes ! that low !? I was making $145+K in SD but as average other dudes are pulling $150+ with similar y/o. OTOH I've always considered those salary stats to be skewed towards the lower end of real salary rates.

Oh well I hope other factors compensate (such as booty quality the salary cut I'll have to take.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:14 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tequila4less View Post
Yikes ! that low !? I was making $145+K in SD but as average other dudes are pulling $150+ with similar y/o. OTOH I've always considered those salary stats to be skewed towards the lower end of real salary rates.

Oh well I hope other factors compensate (such as booty quality the salary cut I'll have to take.
Well, that's the "average" so some make more, some make less, depending on supply/demand, skills and experience.

Also make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Some may be making $75 p/h contract, which roughly equates to $150K per year, but if it's temp "contract" work without benefits, you have to factor in the value of the benefit package to the perm salary. Vacation, matching 401K, Holiday pay, paid sick time, health care, disability, life insurance, paid training, etc. can add up quickly.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:15 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:

When you say "SD," do you mean San Diego or South Dakota?

If South Dakota, that might as well be the middle of nowhere. Companies there have to beg people to move and work for them, and for me personally, you can't pay me enough to live there.

If San Diego, bear in mind the cost of living is much higher, so employers are forced to pay more money so their workers can actually live comfortably. To be clear though, $120K in Atanta translates to $167K in San Diego.

In either case, the labor pool is much larger in Atlanta, which puts downward pressure on wages. If you won't accept a salary of $119K, there are hundreds of other applicants behind you who would.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:28 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

If South Dakota, that might as well be the middle of nowhere. Companies there have to beg people to move and work for them, and for me personally, you can't pay me enough to live there.

If San Diego, bear in mind the cost of living is much higher, so employers are forced to pay more money so their workers can actually live comfortably. To be clear though, $120K in Atanta translates to $167K in San Diego.

In either case, the labor pool is much larger in Atlanta, which puts downward pressure on wages. If you won't accept a salary of $119K, there are hundreds of other applicants behind you who would.
He's in San Diego.

Quote:

And should probably stay in San Diego.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

San Diego, similar to $167K in SD ? That is good enough ,

Old 11-05-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
He's in San Diego.

And should probably stay in San Diego.

, in ManDiego?

Old 11-05-2019, 01:53 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

I don't know which posts you're referring to but most I've read not just on this thread but others dealt with seasoned professionals who weren't get paid what they felt their work was valued at. They knew their stuff. If you're talking about posts like mine, the bigger reason might be something other than the actual job itself; this is why I asked if you read the posts properly. For me, it's religion and yes, I've seen it in the workplace and they push their hateful backwards values on people. It's also the politics, etc. Politics does shape work here and so it's relevant.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:59 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

Why would leave the state? I have too much in Georgia including family and real estate. If I were to leave the state I'd leave the entire country and move back to Japan. This, like other issues are not just limited to Atlanta and Georgia, it's the same all over the country. Hence why they call it "Corporate America". It can be brutal and spit you out. As you can see all over the news and social media, Americans in general are not nice people.

I see your comment and respect it. What I will say is that as a black person, it's laughable that anyone can say freedom exists in the US. Most Americans I meet have such a negative view the of world. I have met so many who have left the US and said they don't plan on moving back and/or living there permanently, especially black people.

As soon as I get a chance to go abroad, I'm gone. It's just a matter of taking small steps until I have what's necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta