Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 01:34 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,875,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I guess folks are also good with the borders of cities like Stockbridge, Kennesaw, McDonough and Fayetteville.
You aren't very good at reading maps, are you?

And Stockbridge almost got split up because of their borders. Its still not 10% of the absurdity that South Fulton is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 01:47 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You aren't very good at reading maps, are you?

And Stockbridge almost got split up because of their borders. Its still not 10% of the absurdity that South Fulton is.
I guess I'm not. To my eye, cities like Douglasville, Union City and McDonough aren't doing much better than South Fulton in the non-messy borders department.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:49 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, come on. I'm not defending bad government.

It's just hard to understand why folks get cranked up about South Fulton having "messy" and "uneven" borders when plenty of other cities have boundaries that are just as bad or worse.

Likewise with changing their name. What's wrong with that?
Sure you aren't, but

Old 09-24-2019, 02:01 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I guess Milton's would be the Crabapple area, actually kinda dense and walkable already (for Milton):

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0894...3366012,17.12z

And Johns Creek has plans to make the Technology Pkwy area their downtown.

It ideally should have been more down at the intersection of 120 and 141, but that's pretty close.
I thought Milton had a minimal acreage lot size. But yeah, that's actually not bad for Milton

Old 09-24-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
South Fulton exists because the surrounding cities had terrible annexation policies that were systematically stripping the tax base away from unincorporated Fulton County. Union City would frequently annex land next to residential areas and rezone they to industrial and the residents had no say because they weren’t UC residents. The Fulton County government sucked at responding to the needs of South Fulton. The residents of this area had legit concerns that were being met, which is why this passed by a large margin unlike last decade where it failed.
That's where you should be pushing state legislatures to pass more stringent annexation laws so that hodge-podge annexations would be limited or eliminated. Creating a whole monstrosity that cannot try support itself then you are drinking the (well you know)... Bill Edwards & Co aren't even fighting for good policy now because of the municipality is barely have decent retail or economic development aside from the new chain hotel and gas station. The Kroger on Old Nat has burglar-bars and glass encasings all over inside of the pharmacy and other areas of the store.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:25 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
That's where you should be pushing state legislatures to pass more stringent annexation laws so that hodge-podge annexations would be limited or eliminated. Creating a whole monstrosity that cannot try support itself then you are drinking the (well you know)... Bill Edwards & Co aren't even fighting for good policy now because of the municipality is barely have decent retail or economic development aside from the new chain hotel and gas station. The Kroger on Old Nat has burglar-bars and glass encasings all over inside of the pharmacy and other areas of the store.
Well you can’t expect retail to get better when the city has only existed for 3 years but okay. I don’t care what the city borders look like, I’m just glad the dysfunctional Fulton Co government is out of the city business.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Well you can’t expect retail to get better when the city has only existed for 3 years but okay. I don’t care what the city borders look like, I’m just glad the dysfunctional Fulton Co government is out of the city business.
You're trading dysfunction for more dysfunction because a few well connected black folks lies to you and spread pro-black propaganda that themselves don't even believe in nor live by. That's just bad governance. For those record, poorly drawn municipal boundaries are one of the reasons municipal services like fire, police, EMS are delayed in emergency situations where every second counts between life and death, so you should care about that. Fulton County still has more resources to offer South Fulton.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
You're trading dysfunction for more dysfunction because a few well connected black folks lies to you and spread pro-black propaganda that themselves don't even believe in nor live by. That's just bad governance. For those record, poorly drawn municipal boundaries are one of the reasons municipal services like fire, police, EMS are delayed in emergency situations where every second counts between life and death, so you should care about that. Fulton County still has more resources to offer South Fulton.
Actually, all of Fulton County is served by Grady EMS

Old 09-25-2019, 06:38 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
The area that encompasses South Fulton is poor, low density and lacks interstate connectivity, the trifecta that repels retail. Annexation is not going to change that.

On top of that, any retail there aside from the usual grocery / drug store / convenience stores would be overlapping with the trade areas for Newnan and Douglasville (neither of which are exactly the gold standard for demographics either).

Last edited by citidata18; 09-25-2019 at 07:08 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 09:42 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The area that encompasses South Fulton is poor, low density and lacks interstate connectivity, the trifecta that repels retail. Annexation is not going to change that.

On top of that, any retail there aside from the usual grocery / drug store / convenience stores would be overlapping with the trade areas for Newnan and Douglasville (neither of which are exactly the gold standard for demographics either).
South Fulton has both poor and wealthy areas and the city does have interstate access (I85). There are currently two retail centers being constructed that I know of. One is at the intersection of South Fulton Pkwy and Hwy 92 and one is at the intersection of Flat Shoals and Feldwood next to I85. Again I’m not advocating for the elected leaders but having a city government here has been way better than being unincorporated under a county government that didn’t care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta