Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 03:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,079,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Ok, but here is the deal.

Atlanta is the main hub of and belongs to Black Americans.

This city will always be attracting those who are down and out as a place to congregate, just like Seattle and San Francisco draw those in the same situation from several Western States.

I estimate 60-70% are mentally unstable, and the bottom line is any chance of full recovery would be slim and very expensive as far as comprehensive medical care.

I do believe that many of them like living out there on the streets and have plenty of comradery. They don't want to abide by any rules of a shelter.

I do believe that there's plenty of work like litter pickup that the city could afford to round up people willing to work for money like they do at Home Depot for daily, cash payouts.

But likely over half of the street wanderers would want to leave their belongings behind to earn $~40 for a few hours of work.

Black Americans will always feel that they are owed because of the past and what they perceive as 2nd class status today.

That's not going to change for another 100 years at least, even after Hispanics are the majority and the white population is the minority (like Atlanta is now).

So what do you do?\

I think decentralized locations for services offering food and shelter on cold nights is the right way forward.
Okay, but what black Americans and feeling like they're owed something have to do with the homeless? That seems irrelevant. Lots of big cities deal with homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 03:31 PM

475 posts, read 680,118 times
Quote:

This city will always be attracting those who are down and out as a place to congregate, just like Seattle and San Francisco draw those in the same situation from several Western States.
"those in the same situation from several Western States" - but couldn't make the two statements parallel and call those in Seattle and San Francisco "White Americans."

Old 10-07-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Okay, but what black Americans and feeling like they're owed something have to do with the homeless...
Nothing.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:48 PM

16 posts, read 17,668 times
I like your SNAP proposal, double the food sounds great.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:37 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Okay, but what black Americans and feeling like they're owed something have to do with the homeless? That seems irrelevant. Lots of big cities deal with homeless.
Ok dimwits.

That comment was referring to another poster talking about the liberals giving everybody free stuff. It isn't related to the homeless, except for helping the homeless does involve providing food and shelter

And if the majority here in Atlanta happen to be black. they might feel the same way. It's not a criticism or a tie to Back Americans, it was my pointing out that our local homeless population includes many who feel deserving of all the help people want to offer.

Black Americans are still a minority as a whole (13% of US population).

And just the us gays, another minority, they/we like congregating to a city where there are lots of others like us/them.

This thread wasn't a national symposium on what to do about homelessness, it was about Atlanta's visible homeless population which is overwhelmingly comprised of Black Americans likely from the Southeastern states.

The homeless in Seattle , San Francisco and LA are the most reported on in the media.

Unlike the East Coast where there's a small town every 15 miles in all directions, out West those homeless people don't have but a handful of big cities to congregate to for hundreds or a thousand miles.

As a result those 3 cities attract the homeless from several states, all converging on 3 or 4 cities.

That pilgrimage from such a large area to a single city, is similar in my mind to Atlanta's role as ground zero for Black America.

And that's why I feel that people in need are arriving every day.

I am so tired of everyone always looking for hints of racism, for the same ol' bickering to rev up.

We'd all be better off and living in true equality by being able to convey our thoughts without having to tiptoe around anything that sparks that unproductive rehash over and over.

Y'all were more focused on a white poster's referencing the Black community at all, almost certain there had to be some condescension in there somewhere.

Is America ever going to move past that preoccupation? It's not advancing us or our causes.

As a gay man I've never spent 5 minutes caring about most of the world's population hating my very existence and definitely not wanting to spend any time around me. It's non-productive.

Last edited by architect77; 10-10-2019 at 12:54 PM..

Old 10-10-2019, 04:27 PM

199 posts, read 130,109 times
People today are weaker mentally, physically, emotionally and by just about every other measure in regards to their value towards their community. The fact that they may be more tolerant and less racist doesn't even begin to make up the gap from being less self-sufficient. I don't know if its how we are raising our kids, the food we eat, or some mixture of many factors but a greater portion of our society is making a conscious decision to live on the fringe of society with no life plan and for the most part just 'check out' and live day to day. No level of improvement in the economy or lowering of the unemployment rate can overcome the fallout of these decisions. Our sympathy and continued calling out of inequalities and injustices creates a environment that leads to more of this behavior.

Instead of focusing on the symptoms (food and housing) of their condition, it may be more productive to focus on dealing with root causes. More focus on mental health, job training, and drug treatment. One could argue that you cant ignore the symptoms if you want to deal with the root causes. perhaps, but you can make food/shelter conditional on taking positive steps towards self-sufficiency. It's their choice to make , if they choose not to get help they can deal with the fallout of their decisions. Society doesn't owe them anymore than that. Many of these organizations that are 'helping' unconditionally may actually be hurting them long term.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:19 AM

3,695 posts, read 5,940,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEHxx View Post
People today are weaker mentally, physically, emotionally and by just about every other measure in regards to their value towards their community. The fact that they may be more tolerant and less racist doesn't even begin to make up the gap from being less self-sufficient. I don't know if its how we are raising our kids, the food we eat, or some mixture of many factors but a greater portion of our society is making a conscious decision to live on the fringe of society with no life plan and for the most part just 'check out' and live day to day. No level of improvement in the economy or lowering of the unemployment rate can overcome the fallout of these decisions. Our sympathy and continued calling out of inequalities and injustices creates a environment that leads to more of this behavior.

Instead of focusing on the symptoms (food and housing) of their condition, it may be more productive to focus on dealing with root causes. More focus on mental health, job training, and drug treatment. One could argue that you cant ignore the symptoms if you want to deal with the root causes. perhaps, but you can make food/shelter conditional on taking positive steps towards self-sufficiency. It's their choice to make , if they choose not to get help they can deal with the fallout of their decisions. Society doesn't owe them anymore than that. Many of these organizations that are 'helping' unconditionally may actually be hurting them long term.
I feel like this is written by a time traveler from the 1980s.

Bombshell news from 2019: the "many organizations helping unconditionally" don't exist. That's a boogeyman of silly American bootstraps mentality.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Ok dimwits.

It's not a...tie to Back Americans
Ignorant, but likely not willfully so. It absolutely was, or the descriptor wouldn't have been included. "Homeless" would have been just fine.

Quote:

Black Americans will always feel that they are owed because of the past and what they perceive as 2nd class status today.
This is called tying two things together. Correlating.

Thanks for telling "blacks" how they should feel about their experience based on yours. All is well in the world.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
is america ever going to move past that preoccupation?
lol.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:16 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
lol.
See all the energy and effort calling out the missteps of what is allowed to be said about another group of people? (instead of looking for real solutions to problems)

Even the gay community is permanently planted in this defensive position so that no criticism or mention of any problem associated with the community is allowed or entertained without immediate protests & shouts of discrimination.

I blame the media for perpetuating reports of discrimination/racism that never include how the involved parties were treating one another or respecting one another. There wouldn't be a story at all if you included awful they were treating each other beforehand.

Just like this week's "bombshell that Matt Lauer forced/raped woman during Sochi Olympics. They conveniently left out that the woman who reported it went on to have a months long affair with him, thus debunking her claim that it was unwanted. The bombshell story is merely unrequited love's retribution.

The public slowly completely buys into "no what happens it's everyone else's fault" as evidenced by the attacks on me for "correlating- a good word that I couldn't think of" a predominantly black homeless population" the draw of people to America's biggest Black mecca city, the one I love, Atlanta.

As long as this is the main focus instead of honest conversations & real communication about solving the actual issues, different groups of society will drift further apart and resentment will continue to build.

People's behavior and treatment/respect of everyone around them is what dictates everything in people's lives.

I've got plenty of problems that are painful to hear called out by other people.

But who stands to benefit the most in their resolution?

I do.

Last edited by architect77; 10-11-2019 at 05:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta