Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 04:36 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Ignorant, but likely not willfully so. It absolutely was, or the descriptor wouldn't have been included. "Homeless" would have been just fine.

This is called tying two things together. Correlating.

Thanks for telling "blacks" how they should feel about their experience based on yours. All is well in the world.
I think growing up in a predominantly Black NC county, going to a 70% Black public school system, having Black friends throughout adolescence and Black roommates after college living in LA, and being cared for by a Black 2nd mother in the years before kindergarten, has given me some idea...

By the way, I think NC's more rural whites and blacks are far more integrated and truly interact with respect as equals that what I see here in Atlanta where we share space in the same city, but I see less true caring conversations about each others families etc. than witnessed in NC.

If that's, in fact, true here in Atlanta the onus falls on guess who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 07:37 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
By the way, I think NC's more rural whites and blacks are far more integrated and truly interact with respect as equals that what I see here in Atlanta where we share space in the same city, but I see less true caring conversations about each others families etc. than witnessed in NC.

If that's, in fact, true here in Atlanta the onus falls on guess who?
In all honesty, most small towns and rural areas throughout the South are more racially integrated, and have more interaction among races than larger cities generally do. Not only that, but those communities tend to be more socio-economically integrated than the larger cities. Being that smaller communities tend to be more close knit, there is more compassion towards those who are struggling. Smaller towns and rural areas tend to be less transient than larger cities, so you have a situation where people have known each other most all their lives, attended the same schools, churches, social clubs, etc... More of a “brothers keeper” culture that what you are going to find in a city like Atlanta.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:07 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Has anyone noticed more homeless people in Midtown? Or is it just me?
I leave for work very early in the morning and I swear it seems like I see more and more homeless people sleeping and walking around in the area every month. I used to live downtown where the homeless population is very dense, but now I am wondering if they are migrating to Midtown. I know there were always a few homeless people here and there in Midtown, but it seems like the numbers are growing.

They are becoming more and more visible all over the country.........a combination of many issues: Drugs, alcohol, mental illness, lack of jobs, lack of available and affordable housing......and inept politicians that do not care......

Old 10-13-2019, 10:55 AM

199 posts, read 130,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I feel like this is written by a time traveler from the 1980s.

Bombshell news from 2019: the "many organizations helping unconditionally" don't exist. That's a boogeyman of silly American bootstraps mentality.
What conditions do your local Overnight Shelters and Soup Kitchens have in regards to getting them out of their current situations?

Old 10-14-2019, 08:45 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEHxx View Post
What conditions do your local Overnight Shelters and Soup Kitchens have in regards to getting them out of their current situations?
they almost always don't allow drugs or alcohol; often that extends to people who appear intoxicated. That's a huge one. Many have maximum stay requirements--I'm talking like a week or so. There are financial help schemes for people who manage to leave some shelters, targeted intervention and crisis schemes, sponshorship programs. It goes on and on.

If you actually care about this sort of thing, here's a link to how the salvation army shelter in Altnata actually works.

https://salvationarmyatlanta.org/red-shield-services/

The idea that homeless people have a free holiday inn they can check into whenever they want no-questions-asked is just white people mythology.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
they almost always don't allow drugs or alcohol; often that extends to people who appear intoxicated. That's a huge one. Many have maximum stay requirements--I'm talking like a week or so. There are financial help schemes for people who manage to leave some shelters, targeted intervention and crisis schemes, sponshorship programs. It goes on and on.

If you actually care about this sort of thing, here's a link to how the salvation army shelter in Altnata actually works.

https://salvationarmyatlanta.org/red-shield-services/

The idea that homeless people have a free holiday inn they can check into whenever they want no-questions-asked is just white people mythology.
Thanks for that information. That program seems multi-faceted, containing some of the programs (e.g. Harbor Light Drug Treatment) I said were needed, BUT they are optional, so yes the standard housing/food services do not require addressing the root causes of the homelessness, which was my initial point. I'm glad at least they offer those services, many do not. Hopefully, some do take them up on their offer.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:19 PM

1,180 posts, read 984,482 times
Another tool to help homeless individuals that have trouble with law get back on their feet.

Quote:
The Municipal Court of Atlanta has created the Homeless Court Program, a focused expansion on the court’s In-Custody and Community Court Divisions. The program will be run daily through a collaboration of court divisions including Restore Atlanta. Similar to homeless courts operating in other parts of the country, the Municipal Court of Atlanta’s Homeless Court Program is based on the American Bar Association’s seven guiding principles for Homeless Courts, which include a combination of prescribed treatment, judicial monitoring, coordinated services, as well as enhanced communication among the various stakeholders. “We recognize that being mired in the criminal justice system is an obstacle to reclaiming your life and living lawfully,” said Chief Judge Portis. “We aim to see homeless individuals who are actively engaged in the court program return to the community, after treatment, as valued members.” In addition to aiding the homeless, the new court program will provide a range of support services to address commonly associated challenges such as mental illness and drug abuse.
https://atlantaintownpaper.com/2019/...ts-city-grant/

Old 10-18-2019, 07:54 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Thanks for that information. That program seems multi-faceted, containing some of the programs (e.g. Harbor Light Drug Treatment) I said were needed, BUT they are optional, so yes the standard housing/food services do not require addressing the root causes of the homelessness, which was my initial point. I'm glad at least they offer those services, many do not. Hopefully, some do take them up on their offer.
What are you opposed to specifically?

30 days of housing within one calendar year? Or emergency cold weather sheltering (you know, so people don't die)?

Also, please point out some specific names of these shelters with no-questions asked, unlimited stays.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
What are you opposed to specifically?

30 days of housing within one calendar year? Or emergency cold weather sheltering (you know, so people don't die)?

Also, please point out some specific names of these shelters with no-questions asked, unlimited stays.

If someone were partake in your services I'd prefer that the customer would then be more likely to not remain homeless because you are forcing/encouraging them to address the underlying issues of their homelessness. The absence of this component one could argue actually makes them more likely to remain homeless because you are reducing the impact of such a condition.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:53 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Quote:
City of Refuge helps in terms of healthcare, job training etc:

https://cityofrefugeatl.org/programs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta