U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 04:54 PM
bu2

13,572 posts, read 7,827,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If you go back and read your post, it really does sound like victim blaming.

And I say that as someone who gets infuriated by people who complain about their cars getting "broken into" when they leave the doors unlocked.
He was victim blaming. Not Costco, but victims in general.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 05:01 PM

11,557 posts, read 5,682,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Guy doesn't look like the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Not sure those pictures are clear enough for a positive ID.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:41 PM

2,580 posts, read 1,831,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
He was victim blaming. Not Costco, but victims in general.
It sounds like you're reaching for the stars and missed the point by a whole galaxy.

Regardless, what my allegorical first sentence said which is showing that all of these things are connected. My main point was how the growing salary to cost of living gap is the primary cause of crimes of opportunity, but I guess reading comprehension (like using common sense) isn't a strong suit for some.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:22 AM

5,634 posts, read 3,879,037 times
Only $13,000 worth? He didn't even try!

Old 10-17-2019, 03:01 PM

4,523 posts, read 6,433,325 times
I wonder, if he stole from the jewelry display case or the high value lock up cage. Most Costco have put dummy jewelry into the case due to the various smash and grabs.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:06 AM

30,397 posts, read 28,570,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I wonder, if he stole from the jewelry display case or the high value lock up cage. Most Costco have put dummy jewelry into the case due to the various smash and grabs.
That's a bummer. You spend all that time planning and hide out behind a refrigerator for 5 hours, only to wind up with a bunch of fake jewelry.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:53 AM

2,927 posts, read 2,677,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I agree with the sentiment that the Southside is generally more ratchet than the Northside, but this could have easily happened in Roswell. And Buckhead isn’t immune to smash and grabs type robberies nor is the Westside of Los Angeles.

Now if you really wanted to make an example, you should have used that car jacking turned shooting in the Lowe’s parking lot that happened in East Point a few weeks ago. That’s more befitting for your argument, imo.
No other American city has the amount of daily car-jackings, smash-n-grabs (possibly invented in Atlanta), sliders (for sure an Atlanta innovation) and just plain armed robbery (we're 3rd highest nationwide) than Atlanta.

It's frustrating when natives or long-time Atlantans attribute our rampant crime to "part of living in a big city" and assuming other major American cities are no different.

They are different with far less of these inhuman acts on a daily basis.

You'd think that major retailers' insurance premiums would be off the charts for their Atlanta locations, just like our car insurance is because of car theft prevalence here.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:10 PM

2,927 posts, read 2,677,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
It sounds like you're reaching for the stars and missed the point by a whole galaxy.

Regardless, what my allegorical first sentence said which is showing that all of these things are connected. My main point was how the growing salary to cost of living gap is the primary cause of crimes of opportunity, but I guess reading comprehension (like using common sense) isn't a strong suit for some.
Yeah, but that "cost of living" is comprised of the newest iPhone, daily Starbucks visits, eating out every day for lunch, or shopping at sky-high grocery stores like Whole Foods and even publix.

That talking point gets so much momentum and is true to a certain extent, but the reality of today's typical American is one of frittering away fortunes on little unnecessary extravagances like 2 and 3 dollar vitamin waters, etc. that are consumed in 15 seconds.

What I'm trying to say is half of the talking points aren't delved into & realized to be 50% BS due to stupidity of the typical consumer.

I'll bet half of the population doesn't know that store shelves have the most expensive, profitable items at eye level and the bargains are usually at the bottom of the display.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:58 AM
bu2

13,572 posts, read 7,827,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post

Since you seem to have memory difficulties, I'm quoting you.

"How about we all be honest the reason why these types of crime throughout Metro Atlanta is the lackadaisical nature of people acting as if not locking their homes, vehicles, and keeping a clean car without values or items of interest in plain sight inside their vehicles. Which are systemic of the region's constant and rapidly growing affordability gap between salaries and cost of living for the average professional and households??

Lackadaisical? You are blaming the victims and now failing to remember you did it. Your second sentence doesn't change your initial attack on the victims.

Again, this type of thinking being so prevalent is why Atlanta officials don't deal with the crime problem.
Or traffic/transit or corruption or a host of other issues.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:22 AM

8,875 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Deputies arrived at 12:10 a.m. and saw the door open to the business. After a search of the area, investigators saw no sign of forced entry. Following a brief look around with management, determined the scene was clear.
So.... both police AND management went to the store, presumably responding to a security alarm, and briefly walked around to determine the scene was clear?

They didn't notice a smashed jewelry case???? Did they think the wind blew the door open? They didn't review the security footage?

Not that it probably would have helped them solve the case sooner, but still. That's some pretty shoddy sounding work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta