U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 11:21 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,349,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Don't be so down on the Southside.

The seemingly more upscale affluent Northside (and northern suburbs) has problems keeping nice things, too...

A jewelry store in Sugarloaf Mills Mall in Gwinnett had $200k worth of jewelry stolen during a smash-and-grab robbery back in April...
"$200K worth of jewelry gone in 30 seconds by a duo of Georgia mall thieves"

That while the even farther-out Northeastside suburban shopping mecca, the Mall of Georgia, has a history of crime incidents inside the mall. This article talks about a couple of robberies that occurred inside of the mall almost a decade ago...
"Arrests Made in Mall of Georgia Armed Robberies... Two men charged with multiple counts of armed robbery." (Dacula Patch, 30 Mar 2011)

One should not feel bad about the brand new Costco being hit with retail crime when the seemingly more upscale and more affluent Northside (which has more population and more development) appears to be an even bigger target for retail crime than the Southside.
Yay! Born2Roll is back!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 11:32 PM

3,641 posts, read 3,401,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Nearly all Southern cities are violent, if we’re being honest. Outside of maybe Raleigh, and Tampa. But maybe because Atlanta caters to a certain demographic more so than others is the reason. But then again, Nashville overwhelming caters to the exact opposite demographic and it’s a violent and dangerous city too. In fact Tennessee is one of the most violent states if my memory serves me correctly.

So what do you think the reason is? The water?

I wholeheartedly agree with your comment on the Southside. But in a metropolis like Atlanta that’s ever growing and changing, definitions change. Especially arbitrary ones. It’s kind of annoying to be quite honest.

I know Mutiny (if I recall correctly) got under my skin a few years ago when I referred East Point and College Park as SWATS and he tried to correct me. I had to hold my tongue. I like 77 tho.
It’s not that hard of an answer, the south has the highest wealth inequality in the country. Poverty breeds crime. The most dangerous countries in the world are also the most unequal and Atlanta is one of the worst places in the US to be born poor.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:39 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,160,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
It’s not that hard of an answer, the south has the highest wealth inequality in the country. Poverty breeds crime. The most dangerous countries in the world are also the most unequal and Atlanta is one of the worst places in the US to be born poor.
IMO, If you’re in or close a major metropolis like Atlanta or even Birmingham, you’re in a much better position to use resources to help tremendously ease the burden of poverty.

You’re far worse off in small town USA being in poverty and living in a trailer park 20 minutes outside of Valdosta than being in poverty in East Point. This is even more true if said persons don’t have a network of family and friends to rely on.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:37 AM

34,075 posts, read 31,282,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I know Mutiny (if I recall correctly) got under my skin a few years ago when I referred East Point and College Park as SWATS and he tried to correct me. I had to hold my tongue. I like 77 tho.
Just seeing this but I don't recall this discussion. I usually defer to natives and long-term residents when it comes to neighborhood names and such but if I was involved in the discussion, I must have appealed to a knowledgeable source when it came to that.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:27 PM

6,745 posts, read 6,354,646 times
Gov. Kemp tells gathering of leaders at SMDO conference that he's ready to help the Southside achieve increased economic success

After decades of being overshadowed in economic development circles by the Northside, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp told a gathering of Southern Crescent leaders that he's ready to help the Southside achieve increased economic success.

The gathering at which Governor Kemp spoke was the 18th annual South Metro Development Outlook conference, which took place on Thursday at the Georgia International Convention Center near the Airport.

Quote:
Building up the southside is important to the leaders because the area has long been overlooked by white collar employers and retail businesses that have helped the city and the northside thrive. Many of the grocery chains, coffee shops and trendy boutiques that north metro residents think are ubiquitous are often missing on the southside. Clayton County, for example, doesn’t have a Target, Kohl’s or Old Navy.

But southside leaders said there is still much work to do. While they rejoiced Thursday about the economic development progress that has been made, they also warned that in some cases they may have overly relied on businesses such as warehousing and fulfillment centers. They also talked about traffic and having the transportation networks to handle an economic development boost, including getting transportation to economically struggling communities.
EXCLUSIVE: Southside ready for economic success; Kemp says he’s ready to help (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Old 02-23-2020, 09:16 PM

6,745 posts, read 6,354,646 times
Some more background on the Southside economic development issue...

Quote:
After decades of being bypassed by toney retailers, hotels and companies with high-paying jobs for the more lucrative communities north of downtown Atlanta, south metro leaders in Clayton, Fayette, South Fulton and Henry counties are trying to find ways to boost economic development in their communities...

… Retail experts said hard work can only go so far. North metro communities have been more nimble in going after economic development and have a longer history of offering incentives than their southern counterparts. That has allowed the communities to make themselves destinations — think Lenox Square or Perimeter Mall — a key lure for retailers, hoteliers and restaurateurs who are risk-averse by nature and seek to locate in areas that have already proved successful.
South metro Atlanta working to rise from economic development shadows (Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 17 May 2018)

Old 02-24-2020, 10:30 AM

2,976 posts, read 2,703,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Atlanta may be number one in income inequality, but the South doesn't have the most wealth inequality by far.

Surely California and the New York region have astronomically more a gap.

Both are home to the wealthiest Americans and California also have the highest percentage of people living below the poverty level.

But of course you extrapolate all kinds of "facts " and attribute them to the South's unjust past, but actually all Southerners were originally were quite poor, and today probably don't have the extremes in pay seen in other parts of the country for the average worker.

Atlanta's crime is systemic of how children we're raised in an atmosphere where is normalized.

It's not emanating from extreme poverty or hungry bellies.

Kids here probably think it's a normal way to live and follow as a career path.

Last edited by architect77; 02-24-2020 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-25-2020, 02:54 PM

717 posts, read 1,137,031 times
North side and south side do the same things. One side just gets watched more. Trust me! I know.... I had a couple "classmates" who literally went around my neighborhood back in the day claiming to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis and spent the money on a party and Spring Break. Nobody even thought to flinch.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:52 AM

5,886 posts, read 4,318,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
North side and south side do the same things. One side just gets watched more. Trust me! I know.... I had a couple "classmates" who literally went around my neighborhood back in the day claiming to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis and spent the money on a party and Spring Break. Nobody even thought to flinch.
That's pathetic on them for fraud and for people not calling them out.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:56 AM

8,067 posts, read 12,795,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Don't be so down on the Southside.

The seemingly more upscale affluent Northside (and northern suburbs) has problems keeping nice things, too...

A jewelry store in Sugarloaf Mills Mall in Gwinnett had $200k worth of jewelry stolen during a smash-and-grab robbery back in April...
"$200K worth of jewelry gone in 30 seconds by a duo of Georgia mall thieves"

That while the even farther-out Northeastside suburban shopping mecca, the Mall of Georgia, has a history of crime incidents inside the mall. This article talks about a couple of robberies that occurred inside of the mall almost a decade ago...
"Arrests Made in Mall of Georgia Armed Robberies... Two men charged with multiple counts of armed robbery." (Dacula Patch, 30 Mar 2011)

One should not feel bad about the brand new Costco being hit with retail crime when the seemingly more upscale and more affluent Northside (which has more population and more development) appears to be an even bigger target for retail crime than the Southside.
Dude, no. Crime NEVER happens on the northside. EVER. /s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta