Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 09:17 PM

340 posts, read 320,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I don't think they look only at the city. I don't know how UNC, NCSU, Duke, Wake Forest, Davidson and UNCC rate in Chemical Science, but its a pretty good crop of schools nearby.

And with the petroleum industry there are bound to be good schools in that in Texas-Texas, Texas A&M, UT Dallas and possibly others out of SMU, TCU, UNT and UT Arlington.
Duke/UNC/Wake are all very respectable schools so I would presume they would do really well. The only problem is that these areas are more in the RDU sphere than Charlotte. Whereas in Atlanta you have Emory and GT literally minutes away, and you can get to UGA in about hald the time it takes to get to UNC/Duke. As for Dallas, I would say UT Austin would be the only top tier school.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I don't think they look only at the city. I don't know how UNC, NCSU, Duke, Wake Forest, Davidson and UNCC rate in Chemical Science, but its a pretty good crop of schools nearby.

And with the petroleum industry there are bound to be good schools in that in Texas-Texas, Texas A&M, UT Dallas and possibly others out of SMU, TCU, UNT and UT Arlington.
It's one thing to be a magnet for top-tier regional schools; it's another thing to actually have those schools. There may be something about chemical programs at schools in the Charlotte and DFW areas that I'm missing, but I was simply making a factual observation. But as you alluded to and what I said earlier, all of these cities/metros are magnets for educated, skilled workers and that really does matter.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Lol you don’t know what I am. No business partner of mine who I’ve worked with or traveled with has ever mentioned MB as a destination. So no, they aren’t thinking of Myrtle Beach. If South Carolina is a destination, they are going to IOP, Kiawah or Hilton Head. You have no clue what you are talking about. Just got back from a friends place at Wild Dunes.
Please stop. Myrtle Beach is one of the most popular golfing destinations on the East Coast. This is a fact, but by all means, please keep telling this SC native he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Duke/UNC/Wake are all very respectable schools so I would presume they would do really well. The only problem is that these areas are more in the RDU sphere than Charlotte. Whereas in Atlanta you have Emory and GT literally minutes away, and you can get to UGA in about hald the time it takes to get to UNC/Duke. As for Dallas, I would say UT Austin would be the only top tier school.
Charlotte is a big magnet for college graduates in the Triangle area which has long been a selling point for the city. And there are certainly more top tier schools in Texas than UT; as a matter of fact, I believe the most highly ranked school in the state is Rice.

At any rate, I don't think Sherwin-Williams is the type of company that would rely all that heavily on nearby universities for the commercialization of research like tech/biotech/healthcare companies tend to do. It's more of a legacy company that would put more weight on factors that would help them attract and retain talent. Of course, having great colleges and universities help with that but Cleveland already has that and is still bleeding talent, so I don't think that's the primary factor under consideration here.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:09 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Please stop. Myrtle Beach is one of the most popular golfing destinations on the East Coast. This is a fact, but by all means, please keep telling this SC native he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Please stop acting like you know everything on this board. It’s annoying and a disservice to those seeking factual info. You are wrong here bud. Let’s bring this back on topic.

Atlanta is a fine fit for a relocation. Hopefully the city lands this opportunity.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Agree with this completely.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Please stop acting like you know everything on this board. It’s annoying and a disservice to those seeking factual info. You are wrong here bud. Let’s bring this back on topic.

Atlanta is a fine fit for a relocation. Hopefully the city lands this opportunity.
I don't know "everything on this board" and I barely interact with you on this board so I have no clue where all this anger is coming from, but my comment about Charlotte was based on my knowledge of the Carolinas and the region's status as a relocation/vacation destination for Ohioans, and those are factors that can influence corporate relocation decisions. Your ignorance of Myrtle Beach's status as a golfing destination is a personal problem. I could easily post several links to show how blatantly wrong you are, but it's pretty obvious that you live in the universe of alternative facts and reality is whatever you say it is.

Now please, stop embarrassing yourself and go to bed. These posts of yours are just painful to read, especially since you actually acknowledged the legitimacy of my overall point and now you're putting your personal insecurities on display in the worst way. It's not even this serious. I pray you get well soon.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't know "everything on this board," but my comment about Charlotte was based on my knowledge of the Carolinas and the region's status as a relocation/vacation destination for Ohioans, and those are factors that can influence corporate relocation decisions. Your ignorance of Myrtle Beach's status as a golfing destination is a personal problem. I could easily post several links to show how blatantly wrong you are, but it's pretty obvious that you live in the universe of alternative facts and reality is whatever you say it is.

Now please, stop embarrassing yourself and go to bed. These posts of yours are just painful to read, especially since you actually acknowledged the legitimacy of my overall point and now you're putting your personal insecurities on display in the worst way. It's not even this serious. I pray you get well soon.
Lol give it a rest. Please stay on topic.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:39 PM

119 posts, read 181,827 times
Quote:

Have to agree with this statement on Mutiny77. He or she has a strong preference for the Carolinas. But the rationale Mutiny77 is providing is an extreme stretch. Dallas and Atlanta have fairly equivalent amenities in their metros and nearby...

Old 10-17-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Lol give it a rest. Please stay on topic.
So you go full meltdown mode and take the thread wildly off-topic and now you want to play moderator? You have some really deep-seated issues that you need to resolve. I'm not responsible for your trauma so stop lashing out at me over something trivial that I happen to be right about. Go see Joker or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta