Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 10:49 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times

Advertisements

This is something I've been quietly wondering about.

Let's say that aproximately 2 decades ago, MARTA rail successfully made entry to suburbs in Cobb, N.Fulton, Gwinnett, Rockdale, Douglass, Newton, and Henry.

Now fast forward alittle over a Decade from that point and we have miniature downtown's, mix use development, or dense suburban districts, sprouting up around the metro How would mix-used miniature downtown's like Avalon / Downtown Alpharetta, Downtown Lawrenceville, Marietta, ect be affected by this?

A.) They might have had more trouble getting off the ground, or may entirely not exist at all and we would instead see Atlanta becoming more centralized and focused on Downtown as walkability and feasibility to commute or even shop there without a car or even those with a car would have the option of a more reliable means of reaching there without needing to sit in traffic. Another problem is despite the increased connectivity, everything must pass through the hub of Downtown Atlanta before transferring to commute in their direction keeping Downtown the more preferred node.

B.) No effect. MARTA rail would neither hurt nor help the suburban developments and they would operate pretty much as they do today, independently of the local transit as these developments only attract a local base of shoppers / residents.

C.) They benefit as connectivity to them from Downtown and other suburban entities increase drawing in more potential shoppers, commuters (residents who live there that commute to other areas in the metro), and draw stronger businesses (probably tech) around their vicinity making them more viable hubs of residency and job centers... The core of Downtown Atlanta may or may not adversely suffer as more locations around the metro become viable job hubs.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 11:07 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
I'd guess choice "B". I believe, for the most part, that an expanse MARTA would, mainly, aid work commuters.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:14 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I've got to draw on other cities as examples. And generally speaking, cost of the system aside, transit has helped most areas that it's connected, at least from a vibrancy standpoint.

In the Twin Cities, you have light rail that travels from DT Minneapolis & St. Paul, through the suburban airport, ultimately ending at the Mall of America (MOA). By all non-financial measures, it's been a success. And from a tourist's point of view, you can see the appeal, you can fly into the airport and hit up both MOA and DT without ever needing a car.

Some will argue that MOA caused the death of DT Minneapolis as a shopping destination, which is mostly true, but that happened well before the light rail connection. If DT atlanta were to suffer as a hub, we need to delineate if that was because of the transit, or simply because the retail didn't keep up with the times.

To address the often brought up viewpoint of transit bringing crime to the burbs, in this case I did read a few articles discussing the use of the under-mall light rail station as a make shift homeless shelter. This bothered people, and has been hard to stop because the homeless are allowed to use the public space.......to a hard to control extent. I will say that I never noticed the crime or homelessness spilling over into MOA itself.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:30 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
C., If you look at suburbs of NYC in CT and NJ, those with a walkable downtown and a train station with access to the city have done very well.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:43 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'd guess choice "B". I believe, for the most part, that an expanse MARTA would, mainly, aid work commuters.
I agree with this.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:33 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
I think the appeal of the mixed-use islands like Avalon would drop in favor of TODs and denser development around the stations themselves.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:34 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I think the appeal of the mixed-use islands like Avalon would drop in favor of TODs and denser development around the stations themselves.
Ironically, Avalon was intended to accommodate a MARTA station.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:04 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Ironically, Avalon was intended to accommodate a MARTA station.
I was feeling the same way about this, it looks and feels like a MARTA rail station was supposed to be there.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:49 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I was feeling the same way about this, it looks and feels like a MARTA rail station was supposed to be there.

Mark Toro (head of North American Properties which developed the complex) is a huge supporter of a Red Line extension and sited Avalon to take advantage of it.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:16 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Mark Toro (head of North American Properties which developed the complex) is a huge supporter of a Red Line extension and sited Avalon to take advantage of it.
As I understand it North American sold the retail for $500 million. No telling what the office, hotel and residential components are worth.

This would be an amazing opportunity for the business community to get involved in helping to support transit funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta