Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2006, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,457 times

Advertisements

my husband has three offers, Duluth (which I am so in love with!!) , Clarksville, TN and Madison,WI(least excited but good job).
would appreciate info on any of the above.
Serious about DULUTH,Ga and Clarksville,TN.
Can anyone comment on Schools,people,crime,lifestyle,etc...
Also are there any manufacturing companies in the above areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2006, 10:01 AM

22 posts, read 84,623 times
I responded to you about Madison, wisconsin. I guess the admins around here did not like my response and deleted it. Whatever. I would not consider madison, wi. If you would like to know why I could suggest some informational guides or links to research for yourself.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:58 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
We're also considering Duluth. Can't say I love it yet, as all the research has been online. But it seems to have good things going for it.

Do let us know what you find out.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,448 times
Can anybody explain why the local real estate taxes are out of sight on the homes in Sparta and for that matter, all of Wisconsin?

Old 05-08-2006, 08:23 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane rasmussen
Can anybody explain why the local real estate taxes are out of sight on the homes in Sparta and for that matter, all of Wisconsin?
I can't speak to Sparta, but having lived in in the upper midwest, both Wisconsin and Minnesota have always had high state taxes. At the same time, they're two states that are among the best at providing the services you pay for.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 20,954 times
Default Duluth, GA

I've lived in Duluth! We moved there in 1983 when it was still a small-town (before the mall and all the development!). I loved living there! It has gone through A LOT of changes since then. The Gwinnett Mall opened in 1984-85 and with it came all the development (new subdivisions, new schools, new roads/highways, etc.). It is still a very nice place to live. We now live in Lawrenceville (about 7 miles away). Gwinnett County is a very fast paced area. There are tons of new shopping centers being built, new subdivisions being built (mostly townhomes), and the schools are being remodeled (add-ons and new buildings) because they are becoming overcrowded. I think the vast majority (maybe all) have trailers. There are TONS of businesses and corporations - warehouses, retail, manufacturing, etc. This is also a very diverse area.

I don't know about the other places. The company I work for has a branch in Clarksville, TN - but that's as far as my knowledge goes!

Hope this helps - and good luck!

Old 05-10-2006, 08:23 PM

22 posts, read 84,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
I can't speak to Sparta, but having lived in in the upper midwest, both Wisconsin and Minnesota have always had high state taxes. At the same time, they're two states that are among the best at providing the services you pay for.
The taxes are high in Wisconsin and getting worse. I would beg to differ on being the best at providing the services you pay for. In the last few years many services have been cut or reduced but the costs have increased. Sparta, is the same as milwaukee, the housing values are somewhat exaggerated due to over assessed values. the unemployment in sparta is one of the highest in the state between 6.9% to 7.0%

Old 01-11-2007, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,443 times
Not sure if your still deciding yet but I recently moved to Duluth GA from Michigan, and I am in love. I have lived in at least 3 other states but I think Duluth GA stops the bus for me. Duluth is a great place and close to everything.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:57 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Duluth to me is North Jersey with a United Nations flare.
Not a bad place but to hustle and bustle for me. I work in Duluth
The Johns Creek area is nice, Sugarloaf area is nice.
Gwinnett Mall are gets a little dicey. Well, most of Pleasant Hill Road around 85 for that matter due to the high traffic flow. I look for major improvements once the 316 corridor is complete.

Clarksville, TN. Was stationed in Ft. Campell in the early 80's in between deployments here and there. Clarksville has improved much but I would take Duluth over Clarksville.

Madison is very nice. Lived in Crystal Lake, IL and used to go up to Madison to bike.

As Fist said, Wisconsin is very high in taxation, actually the double whammy.
You get nailed on property taxes and income taxes.

You will find Tennessee as the lowest tax liability state with no income tax and low property tax. On overall taxation the only state lower than Tennessee is Alaska.

GA is low on property taxation but does have an ad vallorem tax on cars and a 6% state income tax, still a bargain over Wisconsin.

Good Luck

Old 07-04-2010, 01:14 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62048 View Post
Sesha.......My name is Dan Brown and I am a realtor in Clarksville.......I would say Clarksville by far.....The fastest growing city in Tn.......You have a very large semiconductor co coming next year that makes the composite for solar panels......They will be big, they have purchased 1000 acres to build on and have their on chem program at Austin Peay college to work there......You also have Ft Campbell and it is growing also, but you cant tell its a military area, very clean and neat town.....The economy is very good here, the climate is very mild and property values are one of the best in the SE, no state income tax, property taxes are low also.......You would be crazy not to consider here, 35 min from downtown Nashville.....Hope this helps....Email anytime for more info.....Thx D Brown
This thread is over 4 yrs old!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta